Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #21

My two cents. We've owned 3 5ers and now this new destination trailer. In 11 years I've probably paid out of pocket, having no warranties, maybe about a grand overall. I did have one warranty on a used 5er we bought but that's just because it was used and relatively new, so I was worried about that it was a bump unit. But it wasn't. So this time, I have the new one year warranty. Let's see how this shakes out over the full season. Minor things I can deal with. I also bought the 250 dollar second year extended from FR. That should show up all the issues in 2 years. Based on my experience with all the other trailers, one with more serious issues than the others, yet still reasonably priced to fix, I'll be putting the warranty price in hold as self insurance. Figured that just made more sense to me in the long run.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #22

Someone above indicated that the extended warranty, following the two years that you can get from Forest River, covers delamination and frames. I have not found any extended warranty that will cover delamination or frames. If you know of one please post info. I wouldn't buy an extended warranty because of the exclusion. If there was one that covered delamination I would buy one.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj469 View Post
Someone above indicated that the extended warranty, following the two years that you can get from Forest River, covers delamination and frames. I have not found any extended warranty that will cover delamination or frames. If you know of one please post info. I wouldn't buy an extended warranty because of the exclusion. If there was one that covered delamination I would buy one.
Yep, in my 12 years on various RV forums, I have NEVER read of any 3rd party extended warranty that covers delamination.
Nor seen anyone actually having delam covered by such warranties.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #24

Sometimes the best warranty you can buy is simply buying the best quality unit you can buy vs buying appearances, considering the responsiveness of the mfg when there is a problem, and learning more deeply about how that unit is built beyond what is in the brochure.

Many will tell you that you are dumping $$ down the drain, but one does that pretty well when one buys an RV in the first place. Having been an RV inspector for an extended warranty company I have seen and chatted with owners who each seem to have their list of things they maintain and a list of things they ignore - knowingly or unknowingly.

Water damage is probably the most expensive and often poorest repaired, and the owner then living with the potential health issues. Very understandable that it would not be covered by a warranty company because the owner wants the most expensive repairs to be made to bring it back to original...almost impossible.

Of course, if you are able to make use of the warranty, you will be happy you have it. And of course the extended warranty company can only exist if they make a profit.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #25

I managed to let them talk me into an Extraride extended warranty....Good? idunno

I will be thrilled if I need it and chapped if I don't. Like stated here... a RV is a losing proposition anyway, so I guess I got a head start. For me I saved $6500+ on a new purchase... so a gamble on that was in the cards on the warranty. I dunno. I still wonder if I did the right thing, but I always do. Some people call it buyers remorse.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #26

I think maybe more like having to live with an unclear future outcome. We make the best judgment to try to avoid bigger problems down the road so we can enjoy the RV and not suffer from too many avoidable or surprise significant financial hits that might also make us feel foolish.

One owner purchase a used Monaco and was hot to get on the road. So hot to go that he declined to have the engine fluid samples taken and wait a week for the results that would have told him the dp engine was ready to fail. A week later the engine failed and the cost to repair was $30,000 of which the seller dealership agreed to cover $10,000. This is called having to deal with understanding that oneself behaved not exactly smart that day of purchase.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #27

Just our experience we have owned 4 campers in 35 years ......... The last 3 we could have bought an extended warranty but we did not............. Uh no issues / no claims so all extended warranty money would have been thrown away.

Did buy an extended warranty on my used truck and did have a claim for a $4000 repair for an engine issue......... oh wait...........the warranty company denied the claim....... should have saved my money and put it to the repair........ ......

Personally have never needed an extended warranty or had one pay the claim......... save your money......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #28

I purchase an extended warranty on a used Chrysler with a turbo charger, turbo charger blew one month later and the extended warranty company paid out the $3,500 to repair it.

Make your own best considered judgment.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
I purchase an extended warranty on a used Chrysler with a turbo charger, turbo charger blew one month later and the extended warranty company paid out the $3,500 to repair it.

Make your own best considered judgment.
Yea that's what I did the turbo blew on my truck two months after I bought the truck and the extended warranty company refused to pay for it. The salesman claimed this was the best extended warranty company and always paid......(my first mistake listening to the salesman, second was buying the extended warranty) The best move to this day was buying the truck, the only other thing to go out was the water pump. after 6 years of ownership.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #30

The Extendaride program is one of the best in the business. Very easy to deal with. My dealer didn't offer them. Just route 66. Which I'm not sure is a good one or not.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty