Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #1

Buying new vs used Wolf Pup

I am about to buy a Forest River Wolf Pup. I have been looking at an excellent condition 2015 16 FQ with, as far as I can tell, nothing wrong with it. He wants $8900 and won't come down on the price. It does come with anti-sway bars and a questionable battery. Alternately, I can get a brand new 2016 CJ model for $11,454. I'm not sure if that includes battery or anti sway bars. So, I'm essentially looking at $3000 for a warranty. Is it worth it? I do prefer the layout on the new model, but I'm not sure it's worth 3 grand.

Thanks.
JRRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #2

A new battery is $80 - $100 depending on where you are buying it from. A battery should be installed on a new RV by the dealer as part of his price. If he's charging you extra for installing a battery (that you have to have to tow it off the lot), you need a better dealer.

From my limited understanding, the anti-sway bars have to connect to the hitch head somehow. So you have to have the correct components at both ends to use what is provided. Again, a new set of sway bars is what? $300? Or get an integrated WDH/anti-sway set up like Equalizer.

Is the price new all-inclusive - tax and all fees? Does your state tax a used purchase? Make sure you have apples-to-apples comparison on price difference.

Bottom line: to me the battery and anti-sway bars add no value to the used RV.

Only you can answer if the new model is worth the price difference. Our warranty was used for about $300 (retail) worth of repairs - on an A-frame ($12K new, all inclusive). Repairs included finding and replacing a bad casting in the propane line, replacing the main door lock, fixing a plumbing leak in the outside shower. The dealer also installed an Equalizer E2 for less than cost because it wouldn't tow right behind my minivan without WDH (and he was going to have to undo the sale if the tow couldn't be made much better).

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Yep, I think that the OP means a WDH when they say anti-sway bars.
It would be rare for it to be just a friction bar.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #4
Site Team

A battery on a 2015 should not be questionable if the unit was taken care of. Also you can do a lot of repairs for $3000. Try to find a friend who has an RV and have them look at the used one. There advantages to buying both ways.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #5

I shopped for both a new and used wolf pup bunkhouse for almost a month. If I could have found a 1-3 year old one I would have bought it without worry pending inspection. None were found so I settled for new.
1201alarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #6

I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty. If you read this forum
often you'll see how much trouble people have to go to to get warranty.
For example: drop off at the dealer with a list of repairs. Wait 2 weeks.
Call the dealer-usually nothings been done. Complain. Etc, etc....
As someone else said you can do a lot of repairs for $3000. We
often use a Mobile RV mechanic when we're on the road.
Something else to check. Google your trailer and check all the
reviews about that model. Usually if there's something wrong
more than one owner will be complaining about it.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRN View Post
I do prefer the layout on the new model, but I'm not sure it's worth 3 grand.
I have a 2011 Wolf Pup, and if I could upgrade to the new floor plan for $3000- I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm not sure if there is as much of a difference with the 2015 as I don't have the floorplan in front of me.

What are the differences?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote