Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

Buying our first trailer

Hubby and I are searching for a newsed trailer. Liking the Flagstaff 21FBRS. We have a Sequoia as a tow vehicle so that should work. Most of the time it will be me and the two large dogs. I don't want something long to tow and fairly easy to maneuver. I usually camp in my Honda Odyssey, aka The Barbie Camper, so this should feel pretty roomy for us. Love all the storage. Dog stuff and clothes as I do dog shows and need to bring show clothes and shoes. Any things I should watch out for, other than the shower. I have read about that. Think I can deal with it as I'm used to campground showers and I can make some improvements. Thanks in advance!

Teri
tstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #2

There's been quite a few issues with the slide motor pulling loose from the wall mounts but, other than that, I don't hear of many complaints. I've got the Rockwood version with the dinette instead of the couch. If you don't just have to have a couch, the dinette slide gives you a lot more room. The down side is an utter lack of counter space in the kitchen (the rear of the trailer is mirror imaged and the door is in the middle instead of the back), but nothing a counter top extension didn't cure. Other than that (and a different slide out motor layout) mine's nearly identical. Haven't had any major issues at all in about a year and a half now.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #3

I'm thinking newsed means new to me, used? I always check the floors for soft spots and look at every nook and cranny for any evidence of water at all. Take a peek at the roof for any signs of "oopses", damage, wear, leaks, etc. Of course try everything and I always get the extended warranty. Use the heck out of it for a bit and if you feel comfortable dropping the extended warranty you can get a pro rated refund but at least you will be comfortable that you did not get someone else's problems. Good luck and happy camping
Old 01-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #4

Sounds like you already like to camp so for me that is the ultimate question already taken care of. As others have said, if buying used from a private party, it might be wise to get it inspected by a RV tech. Might cost a few $$ but could save you in the long run. Soft spots in the floor and water damage are the biggest concerns. All the systems should be inspected and ran. If you are buying from a dealer, dont let them skimp on this step. They can at least I bought used from a dealer and have had good results. I did have some issues and spent some moeny on new tires and such but overall its been good. Explore all options and look at every trailer you can that is within your towing range. Happy camping!
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #5

Yes, Newsed, New to me used to somebody else. Thanks for the tip on an extended warranty. Did not know you could get that. Any tips on where to go for that? If I buy from a dealer do they offer it? I have rented RVs in the past. Never a very big one. 30ft class C, 19 ft trailer and a 21 ft popup. Excited to get one of my own!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #6

Microlite 21 FBRS owner with 2 dogs

So we bought the 2013 Forest River version of the Flagstaff you are looking at after checking out a few trailers & carrying around cut outs of our 2 dogs' crates to see how everything would fit for us to move around & found this trailer to be outstanding for the size & weight. Sadly we are (temporarily) down to one dog but she still manages to go from floor to couch to bed unless we pull the bed curtain a little closed ....keeps her off our bed very well (she is too old to go floor to bed). Her arthritis also is to the point where we lift her out of the trailer but no big deal there.

We originally towed with a 2005 F150 w/o towing package pretty decent (we are in the flat state of FL) but recently traded up for an old F250 diesel. Dealer told us we were overdoing it with weight distribution bars + a sway bar but as we watch other shorter trailers fishtailing everywhere as we travel we sit tight & comfortable with no concerns for big rigs passing us.

The mattress was not great - added a queen foam topper decreased in length by an electric knife (dang short queens have such an upcharge!). Added a vent on our black tank after a windy week created more odor than we could live with. Do keep up with the water heater anode every year & campground showers are fine by us. We had a hard time moving the TV but have only turned it on once so far (important football game) & the 3 set of speakers are a little off but that probably falls to us to figure out how to readjust & we don't bother with it enough (although we have 2 weekends of back to back music festivals coming up ).

We generally manage to get out for a long weekend every month & a week every 6 months and have zero complaints about our purchase to date! We would buy the same all over again .... good luck at the shows!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1410_edited-1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	477.6 KB
ID:	68432  

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #7

OK ... I spoke to soon about no problems (DH doing routine stuff today before we go out again) .... the bolts where our propane tanks sit snapped where they attach to the frame (4 of the 6) ...make sure you check them!

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:51 AM   #8

Just got back from the RV show. Looks like we have decided on a Rockwood 2109S. They didn't have one the floor but we spent a good hour in the 2104 with the murphy bed down and the size seemed just right. We can look at the 2109 next week, just 10 minutes down the road. They offered a pretty darn good show deal from what I can tell. Need to do a bit more checking on the price but I think with financing, warranty and being able to write off interest we just might do new! ;-O
Old 01-15-2015, 01:39 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Checkout prices across the country on rvtrader.com. Also check out seedealercost.com. We found a lower price within a reasonable drive. We took a firm email written offer on the same fiver to our dealership. We allotted our dealership the difference in what we would have paid to drive up there and for the differences between the 2 fivers (ie ours had more options on it). We used the seedealercost website to help determine a value for those items (we gave them a little more than that said dealer should pay). Our local dealer came really close to that offer after we almost walked out the door. We took the offer and are glad we did as we ended up with a great dealership to work with. This brings up another point. Learn about your dealership and how they are after the sale. Look for one that is reputed to have a good service department. All of these trailers will need work on something, the key is to have one who works with you. Remember that buying far away, you may have trouble locally getting someone to work on it for you. If you choose to purchase from a distance, I suggest calling local dealerships to see what their policy is for servicing trailers not purchased there. If you buy from one that has a service chain (ie route 66, rv warranty forever, camping world) with a local member that could work out well for you.

When it comes time for your pdi, videotape it. If it turns on or off, opens or closes, or has a mechanical function you want it demonstrated and you return the demo. Even bring a cup to boil water in the microwave. It might sound silly but my microwave ran but didn't heat. If you have a wdh or sway control have them demonstrate that too. Don't forget to get them to show you the hot water heater and water pump (not just it's in that cabinet) and have them show you how to winterize and dewinterize the trailer. Check all caulking and climb up on your roof to check it out. Do not hand over any money until the pdi is done to your specifications and any repairs are done to your satisfaction. Get a we owe sheet for anything g not completed that day and have a deadline for those items to be completed.

Good luck in your Rockwood purchase and welcome to the forest river family.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #10

Thanks for the tips. I have been on rvtrader a lot but not so much for new pricing. Checked the other site and no info yet on a 2015s. The dealer is really close and they have been around for years and have a good rep for service. I have until next week's walk through to check on pricing. Any other tips are greatly appreciated.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #11

Its a great trailer. My wife and I love it. Plenty of room for us and the two Furry kids. Its easily half ton towable and even enjoyable to pull.

Many people here recommend that you take the Water filter out and put it outside. Your dealer should be able to do this for you.

Make sure you get the electric jack, it makes life easier with Weight Distribution bars and hooking up.

Tags
trailer