Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #21

I am not knocking diesels, I had a Ford Turbo Diesel that pulled my 37' fifth wheel and loved it. On the flip side, with my 37.5' motorhome with the Ford V-10, I have NEVER been passed going up a long grade by a diesel powered motorhome. I know there are pros and cons for each, but a shortage of power in a modern gas powered motor home is not one of them.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Love to see more diesel engines offered across all vehicle spectrums.
I'm pretty sure they all do on the other side of the pond but are not selling them to the north american market. In Australia the Colorado comes with a 2.5 & 2.8 turbo Duramax options. GM was also working on a 4.5 for the 1/2 ton's but shelved the project for now.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #23

I live in San Diego. When heading north to Idaho where my daughter lives, I get my first fill in North Las Vegas. The Pilot off the Craig Road is usually the cheapest. I like to vary my routes back home. If I take the same route (I15) back home, I'll get my last fill here and then can wait for prices to drop (Jan or Feb?) before filling again.
I managed to make a return trip through all of CA from Crescent City south in early Sept. without spending more than 3.99/gal regular. Gas Buddy was my guide.
I will be making another trip to Idaho at the end of Oct. I managed to fill at Costco for 3.99 and will forgo a couple short trips in the next couple weeks so I can still make it to Vegas before filling.
In short, I will try my best to avoid CA (and even the entire west coast) when their prices are so high. Gas Buddy will help me plan my trip. It's a big country with lots of other places to see.
davegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #24

We can complain all we want but until they take oil off of the futures market and stop allowing speculation to govern the price we will continue to pay what they want us to pay.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
We can complain all we want but until they take oil off of the futures market and stop allowing speculation to govern the price we will continue to pay what they want us to pay.
2x that...............
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
2x that...............
that's the gospel!
these posts ain't long enough to explain the commodity market, the dang speculators, and the retailers that ride the profit wave as long as they can at the pump REGARDLESS of what refineries are selling the diesel for at market. diesel is no different on the market than lobster. prices fluctuate, BUT the middle man and the retailers don't change unless the market has fallen for 4 consecutive days or rise in one day!
oh, don't forget uncle sam, his share on average is 40 cents per gallon. diesel or gasoline. go figure that "chump change" for a day or month and then you'll see another income they so rampantly spend to get us in debt more. it's enough to make you mad. especially for those of us who watch the commodities.
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #27

I left kalifornistan in 2003 for Montana. Was the best move of my life. I go back to see my mom and cant wait to get out.
rah.rrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #28

this thread is, indeed, a dead horse and I'm trying to "unsubscribe" from it's notifications of new postings - but - some may still be interested in it so I'm posting this link to an article that I just read (and to my Sis, who's still living in Kalifornia..) :

California voters only have themselves to blame for soaring pump prices - Economy Watch
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah.rrt View Post
I left kalifornistan in 2003 for Montana. Was the best move of my life. I go back to see my mom and cant wait to get out.
after 40 good years of living in Kalifornia (growing up there as a teen in the '50s was the best life for any kid..) I too left - in '79

still visit Sister & her Family about once a year and enjoy that - but, of course, I get to leave

the carpetbaggers ruined a really good thing.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #30
Another rat in the race

Lets not for get we did some of this to our selves, in 2010 when we defeated prop 23.

That forced the closure of 11 refineries across California, because they could not meet the strict emissions requirements without rebuilding the entire refinery and California would not grant them any extensions. Paying the outrageous environmental fines per day while they rebuilt would cause those refineries to run in the red. So they shut them down and are moving them out of state. Where they can produce gas cheaper and be closer to "other markets".

Personally I think AQMD thought they would make loads of cash on the fines for years while they rebuilt the refineries. But I guess the gas companies had the last laugh on that one and they called AQMD's bluff. Not sure what it is now but 4 years ago when I worked for a finishing company AQMD was aloud to make all their own rules, fines, and enforcement procedures. Talk about running-a-muck I saw a permit price list once in a AQMD seminar where they were actually charging $250,000 in permits to open a small 8 pump (that's 8 nozzles) gas station. That's on top of all the other permits and paraphernalia they need and here's the kicker they have to completely remove and replace their tanks and lines every 10 years. In six years of finishing we had to have a complete change over of equipment 4 times because AQMD would shut down the production of our needed product due to environmental concerns and the new product could not be used in the old lines.

And remember built into the per gallon price is sales tax so every time there's a price increase the state gets 7.75% of that increase.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #31

jar3316
Another rat in the race

I now understand that the feds are going to look into the situation. Most likely the feds will hit the oil companies with a fine, and pass that on to the consumer to……….round and round we go..........
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #32

Had a diesel VW Rabbit once. Got 40MPG around town, 50MPG on the highway. Of course I had to turn off the AC when entering the freeway, vibrated my teeth loose and most of the fuel savings went into more frequent oil changes and a myriad of high priced filters for fuel and air. Fuel gelled one cold winter day and had to get a ride home and wait for a warmer day.

Of course that was 25 years ago....

Oh, yes, I remember that the trade in on KBB had a diesel engine Subtraction to reduce the value due to low demand...

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #33
Another rat in the race

Not to argue to much but in this case. If I was the refineries I'ld have left too. Why operate in the red when other states are offering to help you move your whole operation, market research says you can make an instant profit in the new market, and your current state is just slapping fines left and right. Remember not one business person wants their business to just break even, I certainly don't.

Most of the wood finishing businesses (furniture and cabinets) have left the state for places like TX, FL, AZ, and UT. In many cases the states provided moving bonuses and 0% loans along with backing guaranties for repayment. as the Texas governor said a couple of years ago.

Governor: I love fishing in California I always bring back a few large ones.

Reporter: What type of fish do you go for?

Governor: Son, I don't fish for fish. I fish for businesses.

Once my house is paid off we're out of here. 8 yrs and counting.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #34

Well as usual the futures market is ramming it to the rest of us now Diesel price in Iowa went up to $4.18 over night. probaby be like this until after the election I figure. Then we'll see what happens when we start into a depression.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #35

To answer the OP's original question. We just got back from a 12 day trip to the Lake Havasu area. Fuel is cheaper once you get out of CA. We will probably make more quick trips and get out of state whenever possible, but we got our trailer to use it and until we just can't afford it that's what we intend to do.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #36

Another thumbs up for the GasBuddy app