Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #1

Camper trade in question

My question is, can a dealer write you a check for your trade in value instead of taking the price off the new camper price? I own my camper outright, if that matters. Thank you.
brokaw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #2

They are certainly able to, but from my experience.. autos or TT's.. I don't think it's very realistic. They'll short change you on a trade in and try to oversell you. Best option it to just sell privately... bank your cash.. then negotiate wisely. IMHO
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It'll be whatever you work out with your dealer. Normally you want to take the price off the camper so most dealers do it this way, but I'm sure they'll do a check and charge you full price for the camper if you ask.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #4

I just went through all of this. Every single dealer played the numbers game. Some dealers would give me book value, others would give me 150% of book value. The dealers that didn't give anything said they had the best prices around and couldn't move so they couldn't give much on my trade.

I was in the same boat, owning it outright and wondered the same thing. Can they do it, YES, will they, probably not because if they did, they would most likely have to be a little more transparent with their trade offer than they try to be now.

I had mine online for two weeks, the first person to look at it bought it. In all honesty, in my case the right buyer with the right situation at the right time came along.

I was able to pick up my new to me 2012 camper for a heck of a price without having to play any trade games with dealers.

Good luck!
Old 08-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #5

By taking the trade in value off the price of the new trailer--you lower your sales tax. At least in Missouri you pay on the difference.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokaw24 View Post
My question is, can a dealer write you a check for your trade in value instead of taking the price off the new camper price? I own my camper outright, if that matters. Thank you.
In Missouri, you pay sales tax directly to the state through the DMV, not through the dealer, and the sales tax is determined by the NET purchase price (cost of new vehicle less trade-in allowance of used vehicle.) So, if you did not show a trade-in and your title application showed only the price of the new vehicle, you would be screwing yourself out of a tax break.

EDIT: Old Car beat me to the punch!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

Just attempted the same and walked. We have the title to ours as well. Our trade was worth quite a bit more than what we were looking at. They were for sure going to write us a $5000 check for the difference. But, I've played the game too many times and walked out. Sometimes, it does work out better with the taxes as Old car mentioned. In LA, you only pay taxes on the difference, so if you're purchasing something equal to or less value than the trade, you pay nothing on tax. So, gotta run the numbers and see what works best. Knowing what ours is worth on the market, and the fact it will probably sell quick, we're opting to haul it over to PPL and consign it. Where I live, selling myself is NOT an option. As signature says, middle of nowhere. Leaving it somewhere in the nearest big city (45 minutes away) is not an option either. Too much risk of damage, theft, or just the fact it's a royal pain for me to have meet someone anytime they might want to look at it. And of course, I really don't want anybody coming to look at it at my paradise in the middle of nowhere, except maybe some of the forum members here.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
By taking the trade in value off the price of the new trailer--you lower your sales tax. At least in Missouri you pay on the difference.
That's a really good point that I don't ever think about because my home state doesn't have sales tax. A trade in might be the way to go for the taxes on your new rig alone.

What's typical around the states these days? 7% or so?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
That's a really good point that I don't ever think about because my home state doesn't have sales tax. A trade in might be the way to go for the taxes on your new rig alone.

What's typical around the states these days? 7% or so?
Come up north, we're 13% in Ontario.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Come up north, we're 13% in Ontario.
13%??? (insert expletives.. repeatedly) You have to be kidding!?!! That's outrageous!! You need to move my friend!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
13%??? (insert expletives.. repeatedly) You have to be kidding!?!! That's outrageous!! You need to move my friend!
Yeah, 8% Provincial, 5% Federal, rolled into one 13% rate called HST.

It used to be worse, Federal was once 7%, so we were at 15%.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #12

Quote:

5% in Alberta, but please lets not get into politics
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:38 PM   #13

Quote:

I don't care who you are... that's gotta sting!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:13 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

We just went through this with our old tt. We had dealerships offer us really low ball figures. One even said they would come up to what we owed but they would just raise the price of the trailer they were selling to cover the difference. Wth? Nope walked away there. We finally decided private sale was best. We put it on craigslist for a little over what we wanted for our bottom line. It was on capitalist for maybe 2 or 3 weeks. I had 2 people look at it. The first really liked it but chose to go with a quad bunk over my 2 bunks. Can't argue floor plan with the buyer. Second looker bought it. They paid a fair price for it and $5-6k more than the dealerships were offering (but close to what the used ones were going for on rv trader.com and similar to comps on local craigslist) . The key was to meet them at their bank. Their bank gave us the certified check for the tt... well ok, they wired money to our lien holder and fabrics a cashier's check for the rest. We made enough for a reasonable down payment on the new fiver so we were happy. The buyers were happy to get a well maintained tt and owners that cared enough to not only give them a pdi but help them set up the wdh (our old wdh was included in the deal) and put thee brake controller in their tv and help set it. Yup, they did not understand a brake controller was necessary until we were done with them.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #15

Thanks for replies. Since we aren't in that big of a rush to by new, I'll just keep it on craigslist.
brokaw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #16
Camper Less Camping

Definetly sell privately, just sold ours and pocketed $4500 more than if we did a trade in on another unit
We never trade in campers as you always will be on the losing end of that equation!

Old 08-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #17

Nova Scotia it is 15% sales tax. Looking right now dealer has no issue cutting a check for the 30k offered but I pay the full price of the trailer plus 15% tax. By working it into the trade I save $4500 in tax.
X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Definetly sell privately, just sold ours and pocketed $4500 more than if we did a trade in on another unit
We never trade in campers as you always will be on the losing end of that equation!
I agree that's less off the mark up they give you. thats why I call them stealers not dealers. msrps way over if you ask me
stooge lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper