Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2018, 08:18 AM   #1

Cancellation Policy

My wife and I are here to NC so we are trying different campgrounds to see how we like them...I do have a pet peeve about one of the ones we enjoy going to and it's their cancellation policy on Holiday weekends and it is once you make the reservation and pay the full price it is not refundable for any reason even in my case on Memorial Day weekend of 2019 over seven months away...

So funny thing is when I made the reservation I said so there is no reason for me to ever call you back in the next seven months if for some reason if I am going to be a no-show and the line went silent and the woman I spoke to said well no not really but we would prefer if you do and I said I'm sure you would so you can rent it to someone else she didn't answer back ...Don't get me wrong we like the campground just not this policy. I am willing to bet there will be a waiting list for Memorial Day Weekend 2019 at this campground and they would have no problem filling the premium site I have reserved.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #2

must be a private campground... their campground, their rules...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #3

Still a pretty stupid rule. I'd like to know which campground so I only book when I'm positive I'll be there, if then.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
Site Team

It's a tough policy but not unheard of.
Some folks will make a reservation way ahead and then cancel if they change their mind. If it's a prime time, prime location you gotta dance to their band!

2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
It's a tough policy but not unheard of.
Some folks will make a reservation way ahead and then cancel if they change their mind. If it's a prime time, prime location you gotta dance to their band!

One of our favorite Campgrounds prior to moving to NC was Pismo Coast Village in Pismo Beach, CA It was tough getting in any Holiday you had to try 6 months in advance if you were lucky to get in and if not there was a waiting list but they did have a fair cancellation policy in in my opinion plus they only wanted a one night deposit not 100% payment. I think because they knew the site was going to get filled...Below is there cancellation policy.

• Deposit is refundable only if Pismo Coast Village is notified of cancellation at least 10 days prior to scheduled arrival date.
• A $10.00 processing fee is charged on all cancellations, date changes, and refunds.
TST 507 TPMS
Old 10-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
My wife and I are here to NC so we are trying different campgrounds to see how we like them...I do have a pet peeve about one of the ones we enjoy going to and it's their cancellation policy on Holiday weekends and it is once you make the reservation and pay the full price it is not refundable for any reason even in my case on Memorial Day weekend of 2019 over seven months away...

So funny thing is when I made the reservation I said so there is no reason for me to ever call you back in the next seven months if for some reason if I am going to be a no-show and the line went silent and the woman I spoke to said well no not really but we would prefer if you do and I said I'm sure you would so you can rent it to someone else she didn't answer back ...Don't get me wrong we like the campground just not this policy. I am willing to bet there will be a waiting list for Memorial Day Weekend 2019 at this campground and they would have no problem filling the premium site I have reserved.

There policy, I can see why they have the policy. If you back out at the last minute they have to call someone next on the list and they may have made other plans. Here the most popular holiday and they will lose money on the site. Besides if you know about the policy ahead of time you can find someplace else to camp if you don’t like there policy.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I like your reasoning.

If you cancel 7 months in advance, then someone else cancels 5 months in advance, then...... sounds like a multiple booking senario.

I could understand if they couldn't rebook the site, but frankly, at this point since you're not getting your money back, why cancel at all?
Old 10-26-2018, 08:09 PM   #8

I have no problem with a policy like that. I know people that stack up all kinds of reservations at places that are hard to get reservations at. They cancel lots of them.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #9

Rather than lose your money, if you can't make it for sure try moving your stay dates forward. I've done this at 2 different campgrounds and they didn't seem to mind.
They were able to rent my site and I still had a future reservation. YMMV.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #10

I used to stay at a KOA in FL. It wouldn't even provide refunds for Tropical Storms. Their policy was the only way they would provide the refunds, was if the local government had issued an evacuation order. We no longer stay there.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
I have no problem with a policy like that. I know people that stack up all kinds of reservations at places that are hard to get reservations at. They cancel lots of them.
Yeah I have no problem with the policy either I booked the site knowing it...Doesn't mean it makes me happy about it....I understand people book sites and cancel all the time if it's a popular destination there is usually a waiting list and the campground has no problem filling the site.

I have no intentions of not showing up unless some life changing event happens between now and then that i would have to do deal with...If that does happen I'm not calling the campground to cancel and let them know it can sit empty for the three day Holiday weekend it's already been paid for and they have their money.
TST 507 TPMS
Old 11-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
I used to stay at a KOA in FL. It wouldn't even provide refunds for Tropical Storms. Their policy was the only way they would provide the refunds, was if the local government had issued an evacuation order. We no longer stay there.
Many coastal campgrounds have that policy and personally I think that it is fair. What is your definition of a tropical storm or hurricane???????? One that is within 100 miles??? Too not refund money unless under an evacuation order seems more than fair. Otherwise everyone has a different idea.

The campground we go to had to start charging a cancellation fee as so many people would book several weeks and end up cancelling all but one week.

You got to see it from both sides.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #13
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I think that if someone pulls a no-show and doesn't call in or email that they should loose their right to that spot and let someone else take it after 24 hours (ie.- the next day by check out time).

My old favorite national forest campground in Colorado used to be a first come first serve campground, but then switched to online registering, but only a month out.

Of course, that was after our little secret hide-a-way campground got famous!

They would put a reservation tag on the site number post by the road and would often see a nice spot sit empty for a whole weekend and lots of drive-ups turned away because of this.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #14

Most of our State Parks in Nebr have that policy. The only time I've heard of a refund was from my neighbor last year. Had a death in the family and couldn't make the dates they booked. Took a little nudging but the park did refund their money.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #15

Just know that when you don't call and cancel (even if there is no refund), you are not really punishing the campground, but instead are possibly taking up a spot that another camper could have used.

Sure, the campground stands to make double on that spot, if you cancel, they don't refund your money, and then someone else pays for the same time frame. But that's not horrible and the end of the world, is it? Especially since your updated post says you have no problem with that policy, just doesn't make you happy.

Just food for thought. If it's a popular place, and you cancel early enough, a fellow RV'er might get a chance he/she didn't previously have.

Mike
Old 11-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #16

Hi,

I just made our 2020 winter reservations at Gulf State Park. They charge a $204 non-refundable deposit, and only one change is allowed or they cancel you without refund.

We love the place, and pay it. But that's sort of a big hit if something changes in your life in the next year.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote