Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #1

Compressor recommendations for MHing (non-fulltimer)

I used a 2 gallon 100 PSI max compressor (no more than 25 psi) for blowing out the water in my plumbing. It was very time consuming since the compressor couldn't maintain the 20 - 25 psi while blowing out the water. I would have to wait for it to build up the pressure in the tank and then I would repeat. I'm thinking of getting a better compressor which could also be used on the tires. My current compressor can not pump up my tires. Any recommendations on size, capacity, brand or other features that maybe useful?
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #2

I just picked up one of these as my old compressor was the oil type which is not good for blowing out the water lines on an RV. Also great for tires and running air tools including impact wrenches and framing nailers. Of course if you are looking for something more portable this is pretty heavy and bulky. I just moved it from my shop to my patio to blow out my sprinkler system and because my driveway is gravel I used my cheap HF pneumatic tire hand truck which moves on gravel great. The mounted wheels on the compressor are fine for moving it on concrete.

Of course I didn’t get in on sale as it is now.....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-30...303H/206532808

Or, if you’re looking for a compressor to take along with you here is a great discussion on portable compressors.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ght=Compressor
Old 11-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #3

A search will find a number of threads on compressors.
FWIW, I use my Viar 450P to blow out my trailer prior to running in some anti-freeze.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
Always Learning

I love my Viair 450P. Worked great on my 125psi tires when I had them.

But, I've never blown out the lines with it. (Haven't winterized in 4 years!)

https://learntorv.com/product-review...ir-compressor/
Old 11-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #5

I got sick and tired of non working air hoses at were we gas up ( eg Flying J) so I bought a Porter Cable 135 psi electric compressor from home depot as well as a good quality rubber air hose . It's got enough capacity to keep mh tires filled properly ( ( I run at 100psi) and is light enough for me to handle.
Very happy with it although if I had to do it again I might have bought same thing but 150 psi - with the 135 I have to release some air to activate the compressor pump to get psi I want.
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
I got sick and tired of non working air hoses at were we gas up ( eg Flying J) so I bought a Porter Cable 135 psi electric compressor from home depot as well as a good quality rubber air hose . It's got enough capacity to keep mh tires filled properly ( ( I run at 100psi) and is light enough for me to handle.
Very happy with it although if I had to do it again I might have bought same thing but 150 psi - with the 135 I have to release some air to activate the compressor pump to get psi I want.
I think I had that same compressor and could only ever get tires up to 108 psi with it. Works for you (and might even work for the OP). Just sharing in case anyone comes along with higher PSI requirements.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #7

Compressor

I use a Porter Cable pancake compressor set @ 25 PSI. I open 1 water valve at a time while I have it hooked up. Then I open the low water drain and blow that out.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #8

Compressor

The pancake compressors will go up to 135 PSI and are oilless. If I had the room, I would carry in RV. I carry a small Viar in my truck tool box-Mod 285-?. It pulls 12 amps, so I have to connect directly to the battery to prevent blowing cig lighter fuse. Slow but has worked for 15 years. Gone thru a few internal fuses, but has blown up a lot to tractor, trailer and truck tires w/o pulling out big compressor. The Viar makes a variety of units for different needs.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
Old Engineer

3 Gallon Porter-Cable pancake oil-less air compressor from Home Depot.

About $120.

I have a permanent space for it so I don't have to get it out for use.

Runs on shore power or the generator.

Enough flex hose to reach all tires and the blowout fitting for winterizing.

Would not be without it.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #10

When buying a compressor that has a resevoir tank, the critical parameter is the maximum pressure it will build up. This number has to be at least 20psi higher than the tire pressure you want to use. This is necessary because the pressure switch that controls the compressor requires at least a 20psi difference between the cutoff pressure and the "turn the motor on" pressure. If you want to fill your tires quickly, then the cutoff pressure should be at least 50psi higher than the tire pressure.

I used a 100psi "hot dog" tank compressor for a single trip then went back to my 125psi tankless compressor. The motor runs all the time but it does a much better job of inflating my tires to 85psi than the one with a small tank.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #11

Here is a Home Depot link to the compressor I use for blowing out lines and to air my 100 psi Georgetown tires.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6...50HB/303379052

I carry it with me as my travels take me from 10,000 feet at 5 degrees to 12 feet at 102 degrees. I DO adjust air pressure along the way.

I have a 100 psi compressor I bought for home-use and for my TT tires. It couldn't air my Georgetown tires, thus the new pancake air compressor.

I also carry a Flexzilla air hose and water hose. These hoses stay flexible in cold weather.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125992 View Post
I used a 2 gallon 100 PSI max compressor (no more than 25 psi) for blowing out the water in my plumbing. It was very time consuming since the compressor couldn't maintain the 20 - 25 psi while blowing out the water. I would have to wait for it to build up the pressure in the tank and then I would repeat. I'm thinking of getting a better compressor which could also be used on the tires. My current compressor can not pump up my tires. Any recommendations on size, capacity, brand or other features that maybe useful?
I fill my 2 gallon air bottle up to 60# when I blow out my water lines.
25# pounds of pressure in a small tank is gone fast.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:25 PM   #13

Lowe's- Craftsman 3gal. 150psi for $99.00. Fits in my tool box and enough psi to fill my 80lb. tires. Along with a good-quality Horrible Freight rubber hose and $29.00 impact wrench- good for just about any scenario.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #14
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
Lowe's- Craftsman 3gal. 150psi for $99.00. Fits in my tool box and enough psi to fill my 80lb. tires. Along with a good-quality Horrible Freight rubber hose and $29.00 impact wrench- good for just about any scenario.

X2. Exactly what I use. Takes up little space in the truck bed and helps me stay on top of TV and TT tire pressures.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote