Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
Brand new rockwood owners

Considering a Forest River proud

Hello all,

My wife and I are considering purchasing a RV and have been looking at Forest River 5th wheel products. We are looking at the Spartan and Rockwood units. Also considering a toy hauler.

When we start looking at reviews on (ALL RV's) there are tons of negatives, we are looking for some feedback from any Forest River owners.

Thanks.

Dick and Jeanne Bird
Golden, Colorado
PapaBird1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #2

In general, you can't go wrong with any Forest River product. Forest River seems to really stand behind their product and go the extra mile to ensure their customers are happy.

Sure, you can look around and find unhappy campers, but they are the minority, by far. Forest River doesn't leave much for people to complain about. Your money is well-spent on whichever Forest River RV you go with.

Bruce
Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #3

We have owned 12 different Rv's during the past 30 years and all of them had a problem now and then. I'm sure you realize that there are a lot of RV's sold and used every year. You need to understand that most of the posts that are negative are folks frustrated with their RV's and really isn't a true cross section of RV owners. The silent majority typically doesn't get into forums and rave about the great product they bought, the wonderful service they receive from their dealer and the miles, and miles, of trouble free fun they experience each camping season.
Now, all that being said, be prepared for some problems initially as you get your new RV "sorted out". I view the quality of current day RV's as reminiscent of the US manufactured cars of the 70's. I bought a few new cars then and typically had to return to the dealer a few times to get the car "sorted out". I'm much happier with the cars/trucks I've bought in the past few years as I drove them out of the dealership and returned 5,000 miles later for a oil change.
Even with the greatly improved quality of todays cars, if you go to any of the car forums, you'll find a lot of folks very unhappy with their new car and telling everyone to "stay away from XXXX brand car".
The bottom line is pick a RV you like, buy from a dealer that has a good reputation on price and service, and get on with your purchase. RV'ing is a terrific "lifestyle" and we have enjoyed it for a long, long time!

PS-we couldn't be more pleased with every aspect of the 2 Forest River (Wildcat MAXX TT's) we've owned during the past few years!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #4

I was just reading where someone had purchased a 5er off the dealers lot. The slide leaked real bad right after the purchase. The dealer fixed but still leaked. FR gave them a brand new coach no questions asked.
CraigS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #5

We have had 4 Forest River products, one travel trailer and 3 fifth wheels. One out of four was very bad. Just pick the camper you like and a dealer that gives good service and you will be fine. Just about campers will have a little something wrong with them, just don't get upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #6

It is more important to find a good dealer than manufacturer. Research heavily on what dealer you use. My dealer is a dud. Very dishonest.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #7

PS ALL RV's have their issues including new and used regardless of the manufacturer. The important thing is to get the floor plan you like for a price within your budget.
cap2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
We have owned 12 different Rv's during the past 30 years and all of them had a problem now and then. I'm sure you realize that there are a lot of RV's sold and used every year. You need to understand that most of the posts that are negative are folks frustrated with their RV's and really isn't a true cross section of RV owners. The silent majority typically doesn't get into forums and rave about the great product they bought, the wonderful service they receive from their dealer and the miles, and miles, of trouble free fun they experience each camping season.
Now, all that being said, be prepared for some problems initially as you get your new RV "sorted out". I view the quality of current day RV's as reminiscent of the US manufactured cars of the 70's. I bought a few new cars then and typically had to return to the dealer a few times to get the car "sorted out". I'm much happier with the cars/trucks I've bought in the past few years as I drove them out of the dealership and returned 5,000 miles later for a oil change.
Even with the greatly improved quality of todays cars, if you go to any of the car forums, you'll find a lot of folks very unhappy with their new car and telling everyone to "stay away from XXXX brand car".
The bottom line is pick a RV you like, buy from a dealer that has a good reputation on price and service, and get on with your purchase. RV'ing is a terrific "lifestyle" and we have enjoyed it for a long, long time!

PS-we couldn't be more pleased with every aspect of the 2 Forest River (Wildcat MAXX TT's) we've owned during the past few years!!!
Totally agree. Some problems are caused by owners not knowing how to maintain or protect unit from the elements. I also have boats and they willl try your patience if neglected. Happy Trails!
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #9

I just completed an 11,700 mile trip to Alaska with my 2011 Cedar Creek fiver. I drove over some of the roughest roads in North America and never had an issue. My 34SATS came thru with flying colors. I definitely have no problems with Cedar Creek or Forest River. I have had a few small things in the past, completely taken care of by my dealer or at the Rally. When I buy a new unit it will be a Forest River product.
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #10

Well I am one of the silent ones. We have been the proud owners of a R-Pod 179. I will say it did have a coupe "off the lot" issues which were correct by the dealer.

dscampers
dtrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #11

I've bought two RV's over the years from the same dealer because they stood behind what they sell. Bought one from a dealer that once I pulled from the lot and tried to go back for a warranty issue, I had to take proof with me I had bought the thing from them. Would not buy anything else from them if you know what froze over.

A good dealer is the key. A bad dealer can make the best RV seem like a piece of junk.
Troy, NC
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #12
RiderBloke

Bought a Grey Wolf 26RR TT Toy Hauler from a GOOD Dealer and have so far had a good experience. My wife & I love it and I have enjoyed modifying it as well. Price is good and size & layout suits us. I'm going south for winter in it with the bike and tools to do some Disaster Response & Habitat work.
Towing with a Tundra but dreaming of a bigger truck.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #13

just read the posts about FR products. im really leaning on lacrosse 327res.
my better half fell in love w/ floorplan. thanks again
brobinson0857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I've bought two RV's over the years from the same dealer because they stood behind what they sell. Bought one from a dealer that once I pulled from the lot and tried to go back for a warranty issue, I had to take proof with me I had bought the thing from them. Would not buy anything else from them if you know what froze over.

A good dealer is the key. A bad dealer can make the best RV seem like a piece of junk.
Same with us...we visited the big dogs and didn't appreciate the run-arounds and pressure tactics and, finally, purchased from a very small, but awesome, RV business in Colorado Springs. We liked them so much we traded our smaller camper (non-Forest River) for a Rockwood last year and LOVE it!

Wait, are you buying a 5-er as your FIRST RV? You know that violates the rules....you start with a tent, then a pop-up, then a tiny trailer, then a bigger trailer, THEN the 5-er and then a Class-C or Class-A!

But look at a bunch of RVs before you decide....it was a lot of fun for us before we bought our Rockwood last year!

8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #15

We have owned two FR products . One TT and now a 5th wheel . No problem with either unit .The better the dealer the better the experience . Good luck .
Old 10-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #16

We are full timers, Running a 2004 -34' Cedar Creek and in 9 years on the road we have only had regular maintenance items but no major issues. Weekly, monthly and yearly maintenance are your best friend.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #17
Canadian Member

FR has many brands. If you walk through a variety of them from least expensive to most expensive you'll be able to readily get a feeling for which brands have the better quality build - fit and finish.

Once you've decided on the brands you'd be willing to consider in terms of visual quality, look for a floorplan that best suits you.

As other posters have said a good dealer can make or break your ownership experience because it's inevitable that you'll need something taken care of.

I don't know anything about the Spartan brand but I think Rockwood is an above average brand. That's why we didn't seriously look at any other brands when we upgraded earlier this year. Flagstaff is a twin for Rockwoods - they're manufactured on the same factory line. They just have different interior colours and fabrics.

Good luck with your search.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:22 PM   #18

Good news travels like a snail, bad news travels like a fire storm.
Any product that requires a lot of "man" hours and not robotics will have issues from time to time.
The dealer is very important but is affected by the manufacturers support. Pick you dealer carefully and try to stay with a Forest River producy.
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #19

I purchased my first RV in August of this year, a 2013 Forest River WRS30 toy hauler and I love it. It is built like a tank and trailers quite well. I had a problem with the AC/DC inverter unit not working properly and once I called my dealer they offered to fix it under warranty with my extended service plan. My recommendation would be to purchase a good ESP with what ever unit you buy as it will be money well spent. I looked at several units and kept coming back to the Forest River products. Good luck with your search!!
panhandlephil66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #20
MCTroy

Saw your post about looking at a LaCrosse trailer. Funny, we choose the Rockwood windjammer over one of those. Very happy with it. Towing is easy and we really like all the room it has. This is our second Forest River trailer.We think they are a good value. The quality and accessories are good too.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river