Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #1

current loan rates

Hi Everyone..

our Sunseeker 2400W is not too far away from being complete (so excited.. our first RV), and we are figuring out loans right now.

both goodsam and essex are at 4.79 right now for 20yr 70K loan. (great credit score)

googling for loan providers shows me few credit unions and their rates are crazy .. close to 10%

usbank and bank of the west are about 6ish .. when called them directly

wanted to check in and see people are paying for loans right now ? is 4.79 a good deal or others getting better ones somewhere else ?

thanks
slavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavka View Post
Hi Everyone..

our Sunseeker 2400W is not too far away from being complete (so excited.. our first RV), and we are figuring out loans right now.

both goodsam and essex are at 4.79 right now for 20yr 70K loan. (great credit score)

googling for loan providers shows me few credit unions and their rates are crazy .. close to 10%

usbank and bank of the west are about 6ish .. when called them directly

wanted to check in and see people are paying for loans right now ? is 4.79 a good deal or others getting better ones somewhere else ?

thanks

Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afelumlee View Post
where ?
Old 05-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
Citrus County, Fl.

State Farm Bank as low as 4.39 with auto pay.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #5

3 with BOA a year ago. Dunno now. That's with a credit score of 8 million or so (lots of debt, pay on time! LOL)....

Online info for rates are meaningless. Too dependent on your personal situation. Those rates are "rack rates".

I'd get pre-approved BEFORE I bought, then decide. State Farm Bank is good, usually with bundled Gap insurance. But no one can answer for you.........depends on your debt ratio, credit score, amount of debt, income, age, location..........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
3 with BOA a year ago. Dunno now. That's with a credit score of 8 million or so (lots of debt, pay on time! LOL)....

Online info for rates are meaningless. Too dependent on your personal situation. Those rates are "rack rates".

I'd get pre-approved BEFORE I bought, then decide. State Farm Bank is good, usually with bundled Gap insurance. But no one can answer for you.........depends on your debt ratio, credit score, amount of debt, income, age, location..........

getting pre-approved works if I'm going to pick up the RV from a dealer that is already there (no orders)..

pre-approvals are valid for 60 days or so ... We ordered ours in March, and will not pick up until mid/late June.

running credit (and applications) also hinders credit score.. so one would typically want to do this all at once, and run credit from multiple lenders at approx the same time.

Thus we waited closer to delivery day .. but, alas, rates are going up.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavka View Post
where ?

BOA received at the RV Show in Hershey last year.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #8

to keep this thread updated.

best rate I was able to find so far is 4.74% and thats going with dealer financing ..( which would be with BofA )
Old 05-31-2017, 09:19 AM   #9

Have you checked out Light Stream? They are an online lender that is a division of Sun Trust bank. They cater to those with excellent credit, so if you fall into that category, you can get amazing rates. Our truck loan is through Light Stream, and we have no complaints. However, I'm not sure if they offer 20-year loans. It's worth checking though.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:34 AM   #10
Weekend Warrior

Seems like RV's have a steep rate of depreciation... I don't think I'd take out a loan to buy one.. Save up and pay cash!
KyleStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleStout View Post
Seems like RV's have a steep rate of depreciation... I don't think I'd take out a loan to buy one.. Save up and pay cash!

LOL, not really an option for most people. Although it makes most sense financially, if I had to save up for every major purchase, everything I do in life would be put on hold for years.

It is just money and you can't take it with you. Life if too short to put off enjoying it.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:49 AM   #12

Really sick of hearing that I should pay cash for everything. That advice is wrong in so many situations. Esp when one factors in cost of opportunity, what one could do with the money etc.

I am not advocating putting everything (or many things) on credit, but sometimes, Financing is your friend
Old 05-31-2017, 10:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
Really sick of hearing that I should pay cash for everything. That advice is wrong in so many situations. Esp when one factors in cost of opportunity, what one could do with the money etc.

I am not advocating putting everything (or many things) on credit, but sometimes, Financing is your friend

Totally agree.

I have a damn good job, as does my wife. Saving up for a $70k purchase still isn't realistic.

I financed our $40k rig. Saving up for it would save a ton of money but take 9 years to do so. By then, the kids will be gone and we would miss out on many experiences. Plus, we generally pay down the principal when opportunity presents itself... but is hard to plan for (if trying to save).

The same logic can be applied to most every major purchase. Would I like to "save up" for a $500k home? Sure, but not realistic. Say hello to a mortgage.

Loans: cost of doing business (enjoying life).
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILover View Post
Have you checked out Light Stream? They are an online lender that is a division of Sun Trust bank. They cater to those with excellent credit, so if you fall into that category, you can get amazing rates. Our truck loan is through Light Stream, and we have no complaints. However, I'm not sure if they offer 20-year loans. It's worth checking though.
thanks for the suggestion .. checked 'em out.. no 20 year loans..
Old 05-31-2017, 01:41 PM   #15

Also at 2.9-5% interest rates the cost of borrowing is negligible.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post

Amen. And I hope those that advocate that as the sole option, don't end up with the Widomaker Heart Attack and have COPD and some other life threatening issues!! A few of those, and you'll figure out what to do with that elusive "rest of your life" that some folks seem to think will last forever.

The Lord left me live long enough to pay off the house, so bingo bango, that money went to a travel trailer that I never thought I could afford. And I'm enjoying life to a large degree.

Keep enough life insurance to cover your loans and keep your total bills below your income..........and if you do that, buy away!

My three cents.

EDIT: And if you do that enough, and do it well, your interest rate when you do have to take out a loan will be low. My trailer rate is 3.00%, and my truck loan rate is 1.69%.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-31-2017, 02:15 PM   #17

Recent loan in Texas from BOA was 4.99 in May of 2017
robjordan406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:16 PM   #18

DW and I purchased last year and we(she) wanted to wait for better times... We have 4 kids(one 20 and one 24) and 1 GC. Do you think we will ever have any extra money? I told her I was tired of waiting(understand we have a cheap "entry level" RV, so here we are. Good? No, but we can go if we have time/money. I bought a new 4-wheeler in 1995 and gave the logic that it was worth most of the payment just to have when I got ready to ride without having to spend hours working on before hand.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjordan406 View Post
Recent loan in Texas from BOA was 4.99 in May of 2017
Rates depend on the person. That is not a ubiquitous rate.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #20
Road Warrior

Get a few quotes from Lending Tree. I went with a broker on Lending Tree who got me into Huntington Bank for a very low 4 rate with almost nothing down. I had saved up a 10% down payment but did not need it so I used some of it on an extended warranty and gap insurance and banked the balance. Gap is a wierd creature, you most certainly want it if your insurer does not provide for replacement coverage.