Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 31
Angry Dealer parts ripoff

My 5th wheel has a broken wheel opening trim, I think its called a fender skirt. I ordered a new one from a Forest river dealer, they told me it would be $118 plus tax and shipping, just found out they charged my CC with $283.00! Don't you think that is a bit overkill for shipping to the dealer?
flyfisher54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #2
fmc
Senior Member
 
fmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 175
I purchased one for my fifthwheel a few years ago . I purchased from the manufacturer which is in Canada.I don't remember their name but the shipping was not even close to that price!
fmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Middle Ga
Posts: 426
Are you sure they didn't charge you for a pair?


Mike
__________________
TV = 2017 Ram 3500 (aka FRAM)
5er = SOB (2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS)
walaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 7,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher54 View Post
My 5th wheel has a broken wheel opening trim, I think its called a fender skirt. I ordered a new one from a Forest river dealer, they told me it would be $118 plus tax and shipping, just found out they charged my CC with $283.00! Don't you think that is a bit overkill for shipping to the dealer?
Probably due to the LTL (Less Than Load) Motor Freight charges. Really doesn't matter if it's shipped to you or the dealer. You're going to pay the prevailing flat rate if it's under a certain weight. Freight rates are not like UPS or FEDEX.
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Next time have them ship it inside the next TT they send to the dealer.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Next time have them ship it inside the next TT they send to the dealer.
That might take up to a year if the Dealer only buys once a year when promotional pricing is offered by the factory on new models.

As for the expensive shipping, as said before it's because of how freight rates are calculated. Also, something like a wheel skirt needs special packaging if you want it in one piece. It's size is most likely too large for UPS or Fedex so short of driving to the manufacturer's place of business and picking it up, freight is the only way to get it and the price is the price.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
That might take up to a year if the Dealer only buys once a year when promotional pricing is offered by the factory on new models.

As for the expensive shipping, as said before it's because of how freight rates are calculated. Also, something like a wheel skirt needs special packaging if you want it in one piece. It's size is most likely too large for UPS or Fedex so short of driving to the manufacturer's place of business and picking it up, freight is the only way to get it and the price is the price.
I'm finding hard to believe that any dealer only receives new TT's once per year.

The hybrid forum is full of threads where folks have had a new bunk end shipped to their dealer in another TT, saving $600 or so in shipping costs.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 31
Good news

Good news, drove to the dealer today, 200 mi round trip, when we got there they had ordered the wrong color, right part but wrong color. Anyways, it turns out they had the right one in stock, so they deducted the shipping and import charges and it only cost me the original price. Will definitely be going back to this dealer after the great treatment. "All's well that Ends well"" my Dad used to say. Thanks for the replies guys. Big shout out to High River Autoplex& RV, High River Alberta.
flyfisher54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:51 PM   #9
Now a "Top Member"
 
EdJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Roman Forest, TX
Posts: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher54 View Post
Good news, drove to the dealer today, 200 mi round trip, when we got there they had ordered the wrong color, right part but wrong color. Anyways, it turns out they had the right one in stock, so they deducted the shipping and import charges and it only cost me the original price. Will definitely be going back to this dealer after the great treatment. "All's well that Ends well"" my Dad used to say. Thanks for the replies guys. Big shout out to High River Autoplex& RV, High River Alberta.
That's pretty awesome when things work out like they're supposed to. Thanks for the follow-up and a good dealer story.
__________________
Ed and Sharon
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS
2019 Ford F-250 XLT - AWESOME Truck!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dealer, parts

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.