Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 03:45 PM   #1

Dealer service centers.

We are going to purchase a travel trailer by the end of this month. I found the trailer we like in Liberty MO, $4,000 cheaper than in Denver. Told that to the Denver sales guy and he said to take into consideration that a service department will take the people that bought a trailer from them ahead of someone else who bought out of state.

Is this a problem with RV service centers, of just a ploy and tactic?
wellsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
Always Learning

He's right. Dealers put their customers first. BUT, I avoid dealers for service work at all costs. They suck.

Mobile RV techs and independent repair shops. Contact your manufacturer about what the process is for them to do warranty work.

Usually you have to get pre-approval and then get reimbursed. They often don’t pay for the mobile tech site visit but the convenience is worth it.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
He's right. Dealers put their customers first. BUT, I avoid dealers for service work at all costs. They suck.

Mobile RV techs and independent repair shops. Contact your manufacturer about what the process is for them to do warranty work.

Usually you have to get pre-approval and then get reimbursed. They often don’t pay for the mobile tech site visit but the convenience is worth it.
So just contact Coachman and ask what the process is?
Old 02-17-2021, 03:57 PM   #4

Funny (not so) you mentioned that When we purchase our RV in 2018 in SoCal we live in Northern California I had this same issue.
There was no Forrest River Representative in NorCal that was authorized for Warranty work (this has now changed) but when I was looking for local RV Service Centers (Dealers) in NorCal, even though they sold Forrest River Products they would quote me longer service times or even deny accepting the work. They gave the "You did not buy it from us, so we will quote you 9 Months or not t all" so In short, Yea it happens and happened to me! Still does to this day where I live...

So I go now to a non Dealer Center, I dont want to travel 500 Miles to SoCal to the Dealer I purchased it from. I find a Non Dealer RV Repair Shop
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:06 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
Funny (not so) you mentioned that When we purchase our RV in 2018 in SoCal we live in Northern California I had this same issue.
There was no Forrest River Representative in NorCal that was authorized for Warranty work (this has now changed) but when I was looking for local RV Service Centers (Dealers) in NorCal, even though they sold Forrest River Products they would quote me longer service times or even deny accepting the work. They gave the "You did not buy it from us, so we will quote you 9 Months or not t all" so In short, Yea it happens and happened to me! Still does to this day where I live...

So I go now to a non Dealer Center, I dont want to travel 500 Miles to SoCal to the Dealer I purchased it from. I find a Non Dealer RV Repair Shop
When we lived in Napa, we bought our first new trailer from a Chicago dealer and drove there and back to get it. FR helped us find 3 local dealers willing to do the warranty work. One of them didn't carry any FR products.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:26 AM   #6

If the dealer said that, they practice that policy. Most dealer service departments are useless anyway. I would stay away from that place, once you drive away the service department will probably treat you like any other schmo looking for service and wait will be month's. Get your best price then find a local trailer repair shop or do it yourself.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:31 AM   #7

The whole dealer service/sales scam (you heard me right) does not pass the Goofy Test. These are recreational vehicles designed to TRAVEL! According to Murphy’s Law you are not likely to require service while in the neighborhood of your local dealer. There needs to be better & more transparent service networks in place. If the nearest dealer can’t/won’t service you in a timely fashion then the manufacturer should step up and recommend a factory authorized 3rd party rep for warranty work. Warranty work should be placed high on the list if a manufacturer really stands behind their product.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
The whole dealer service/sales scam (you heard me right) does not pass the Goofy Test. These are recreational vehicles designed to TRAVEL! According to Murphy’s Law you are not likely to require service while in the neighborhood of your local dealer. There needs to be better & more transparent service networks in place. If the nearest dealer can’t/won’t service you in a timely fashion then the manufacturer should step up and recommend a factory authorized 3rd party rep for warranty work. Warranty work should be placed high on the list if a manufacturer really stands behind their product.
I figured as much. Just seemed like a scam and if they turn away service, which is where they make their money do I really want to buy from them anyway?
Old 02-18-2021, 09:43 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsy View Post
We are going to purchase a travel trailer by the end of this month. I found the trailer we like in Liberty MO, $4,000 cheaper than in Denver. Told that to the Denver sales guy and he said to take into consideration that a service department will take the people that bought a trailer from them ahead of someone else who bought out of state.

Is this a problem with RV service centers, of just a ploy and tactic?
Not a ploy. Forest River even states in their brochures and website about buying locally...and how dealers are free to pick and choose what they want to work on.

https://forestriverinc.com/buy-local.aspx

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Not a ploy. Forest River even states in their brochures and website about buying locally...and how dealers are free to pick and choose what they want to work on.

https://forestriverinc.com/buy-local.aspx
Don't EVER see that with a car or truck... ever...
Old 02-18-2021, 11:23 AM   #11

Quote:
That is because the automotive dealers are franchise business, that sell only one brand of vehicle out of that dealership. Where as the recreation dealerships are not. But they are independent dealers that may sell several different manufactures brand of trailers. I know my dealer sells Forest River Products and Keystone Products of different trailer models out of the same dealership.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
That is because the automotive dealers are franchise business, that sell only one brand of vehicle out of that dealership. Where as the recreation dealerships are not. But they are independent dealers that may sell several different manufactures brand of trailers. I know my dealer sells Forest River Products and Keystone Products of different trailer models out of the same dealership.
that makes sense...thx!
Old 02-18-2021, 11:29 AM   #13
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
That's because the RV Industry IS NOT the Automotive Industry. Two totally different animals. There is a lot more regulation on Automotive.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
That's because the RV Industry IS NOT the Automotive Industry. Two totally different animals. There is a lot more regulation on Automotive.

Aaron
Yep, the only thing that they have in common, is that they sell things on wheels at dealerships. Other than, they couldn't be more different.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:00 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
So just contact Coachman and ask what the process is?
Yes.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:21 PM   #16

Just to pile on, the Chassis as you all know Ford F53 warranty is covered by Ford.

Ford Commercial Websites will state where you "should" be able to take your Motorhome in for warranty work. Again when I bought mine FR3 there were 15 or so Ford Dealers & Ford Commercial Truck locations within 100 Miles of me.

Only 1 would take my RV in for warranty work. Many were dealers who did not have the space or bays (I get it), but the Ford Commercial Dealers do and did. (there were 5 near me) They just ad no interest in doing Ford Warranty work over fleets or other commercial work. Told me to pound sand.

I did find a location 44 miles away and am happy when I need it, but even complained to Corporate Ford to either update their Commercial Vehicle website or remove those who wont perform Warranty work.

Lesson on that find your Ford Warranty location before you need it. For those items you cant do yourself, locate a reputable local RV Repair Shop

Cause when you need it like i did it was frustrating as all hell finding a Authorized Ford Warranty location within 100 Mile of me
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Yes.
thx!
Old 02-18-2021, 08:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
There is a Ford/Hyundai dealership two miles from me. Same building, same lot, same showroom, same service area.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:54 PM   #19
JPT

Legally, they cannot force you to service your rig at approved dealers. just contact Forest River and they will share the process with you. You can opt to service the trailer at a place of your choosing, or even do the work yourself and submit for the parts. You will have to front the costs yourself, but should be able to get reimbursed when submitting the receipts. They generally will require pre-approval, but once you get connected with the right person at Forest River, you can simply get that by email in advance.

Finding someone to do the work and paying them yourself at the time of service will get you MUCH faster service than the months at "approved service centers".
JPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
There is a Ford/Hyundai dealership two miles from me. Same building, same lot, same showroom, same service area.
I'm lost this thread isn't about ford or hyundai....

Tags
dealer, service