Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #1

Deposit walk through vs delivery inspection

We are working on purchasing our first TT. We saw one today that we really like, but we're on vacation so it's not local to us. We're going to think about it for the weekend and going back to look at it again on Monday before we head home. They can deliver to us (500 miles away) and my husband's friend who lives here would do our delivery inspection, but before putting a deposit down we would be doing our own walk through. I've seen the PDI form on this forum so we'll loosely use that as a guide, but since it won't be prepped yet is there anything you could recommend for our deposit walk through?

Edited to add, this is all assuming we can negotiate a good price also. Their current list price is the best price I've seen for this model anywhere in the country. I'm more comfortable seeing the unit in person so it's ironically convenient to be here right now. Bonus it's a 2016 and our local dealer only has 2017's. Even factoring in delivery cost it is still the best price and that's pre-negotiation. Fingers crossed!
jode246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:00 AM   #2

If I were you, I would do the PDI on it while doing the deposit walk thru and make notes of everything you want fixed or gone over and when your friend picks it up for delivery have them ensure all the work was done to your and theirs satisfaction.
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #3

I strongly recommend a thorough PDI before you accept the trailer. I found 13 issues, some more serious than others, before we took possession of the Montana. We may have missed some issues had we not had a good checklist and driven off, resulting in an unnecessary trip back to the dealer. Since the dealer knew we would not accept it until fixed, they were motivated to take care of it in two days rather than the typical month on our time.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #4

Thank you both! Definitely makes sense to do a full PDI now before dealer prep so any fixes can be made at that time then verified when our friend does our final PDI before they ship it to us. Hopefully cut down on the turnaround time and get this camper in our driveway ASAP!

All assuming we can strike a good deal tomorrow of course
jode246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Many issues pop up once you own it and start using it! TRUST ME! We went over our with a fine tooth comb and many of the issues we had did not show up until we moved the unit and used it.

Like the power panel with all the fuses falling out or the MANY water leaks that we are STILL fighting with 2+ years later, or the furnace vents not blowing out air. The external refrigerator vent covers not being screwed into the trailer wall.

Just lots of issues that come up.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:17 AM   #6
Canadian Member

I would definitely do the PDI myself and only have myself to blame if I missed something. Relying solely on a friend could be hazardous to the friendship. However, it may be helpful to take the friend with you for the PDI for an extra set of eyes, especially if they have more experience than you with RVs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #7

I would suggest you work your local dealer as hard has you can,,, before you pull the trigger !!! Show him what you are about to do !!! Maybe he will deal ???
Buy as close to home as you can !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote