Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #21

Have owned 12 RV's and would do it again. No REGRETS what so ever! A case could be made for every major purchase you make as to the negatives of buying/owning that particular item. Maybe it'd be best if we simply go back to wearing animal skins and living in caves?
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #22

To be fair I agree that this is a good video to watch to quell any unrealistic expectations that some may have about owning an RV - but I also agree that those same people may very likely have unrealistic expectations about a lot of things in life and there's no changing that about a person. Live and let live
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #23

I didn't watch the video. Just reading the comments, I can tell that it's most likely eye-opening for many people. I agree, there are some people who should NOT buy an RV.
  • The people who think hauling an 8.000 lb shoebox down the road should be a piece of cake with no consequences.
  • The people who think they never have to do any maintenance.
  • The people who think RV's are made like a stick frame house and should never have a shelf fail, or a screw fall out.
  • People who think spending $20,000 on an RV should make them indestructible.
Be realistic - they're making these units lighter and lighter so the "average" person can haul them with their mini-van, or their smaller SUV. Less weight means materials have to be lighter, which means they're less durable unless you go with titanium or something, which is cost prohibitive.

We did a ton of research before buying our TT. If you do your homework, and are a bit handy (make that a LOT handy) then you'll be okay. To think you're buying an RV as in investment is a bit far-fetched.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #24
Censored Member

What I got from this video is you should do your due diligence before buying an RV. It’s not like anything he says is BS. Just reading the Forest River Forum or any other RV forum you know what he says is true. For a first time buyer I think that video should be a must watch.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #25
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
What I got from this video is you should do your due diligence before buying an RV. It’s not like anything he says is BS. Just reading the Forest River Forum or any other RV forum you know what he says is true. For a first time buyer I think that video should be a must watch.
Agreed.

I can make memories with my DW and kids in a tent, a camper or a motel room. I chose a TT because I want to have A/C while living in the woods and having campfires. I could rent a camper or a cabin to accomplish my goal, too, but I chose ownership with a full understanding of the risks.

The video talks about some extreme examples but it definitely should force folks who've never owned an RV to think twice and to get educated about what they're buying.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #26

The gentleman in the video speaks the truth about the lack of quality control on RV units, and the frustrations that come with that ! He also speaks the truth about the lack of concern on the dealers part after the sale !

The video to me clearly states the obvious as to being aware of what your getting into, and being a educated consumer !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #27
Failure is my business

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
If you do your homework, and are a bit handy (make that a LOT handy) then you'll be okay. To think you're buying an RV as in investment is a bit far-fetched.
This is the truth. DW and I have 2500 miles and 27 days in our camper since we took delivery on June 7. A few issues here and there, but nothing I would even remotely consider bringing it back to the dealer for.

I enjoy fixing things and tinkering so I like the new challenge of the trailer. (I've taken a lot of it completely apart for no reason just to see what's in it.) Heck. I won't even take my vehicles that are under warranty back to the dealer if I calculate that I can repair the problem in less time than the trip to the dealer would take.

If I had to rely on the dealers or anyone else to work on my stuff, I believe I would be frustrated and annoyed a lot more than I usually am.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:06 AM   #28
Coachman 312BHDS

All i can say is lawyers. Lol
Old 09-09-2016, 05:40 AM   #29
World Wide Wanderer

Good points made in the video,

Take away: Don't believe what the salesman tells you...

There are some honest sales folks out there, just like there are some great dealers and service departments out there. They just seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Also people need to learn to do their research and leave the emotions at home. I am willing to bet if most RV buyers did a proper PDI and walked away from problem units you would see some serious QC improvements in the RV world.

Just out of curiosity I did a walk through on about a dozen units at a local CW on their Saturday open door event (all units are left unlocked and you can walk through them without being hassled). Of the dozen I looked at 9 I would not have purchased due to obvious defects that would not be easy to repair. Two were improper slide installation, seals and general bad fit of exterior components that would lead to leaks, if they already haven't.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:44 AM   #30

Send a message via AIM to B and B
This guy is selling his books. I can not get my head around this litigious society mindset that gets in the way of common sense and fun.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:46 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Evans View Post
To be fair I agree that this is a good video to watch to quell any unrealistic expectations that some may have about owning an RV - but I also agree that those same people may very likely have unrealistic expectations about a lot of things in life and there's no changing that about a person. Live and let live
X2 Mrs E

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:56 AM   #32

I've been on the forum for a couple of years and continue to be amazed by what I read. I don't care about the habitual unsophisticated buyers; so many only want something for nothing and they think since they spend $30K (or whatever) their RV should be perfect and can't resist the temptation to compare with the automotive industry. BUT, I do care about those new or young buyers who are simply uninformed and could be taken advantage of and are willing to learn. Period.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 09-10-2016, 08:08 AM   #33

No matter what you buy you are going to have to put money into it. I don't care if it is a house, boat, or an RV. Every time I go out some little thing happens, I know it will and accept it. I surly didn't buy my TT for an investment, I bought it for all the enjoyment it brings me. I'm also retired so it gives me something to tinker with and keeps me out of my wifes hair.. Just go out an have fun...You can make great friends and great memories...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #34
Coachman 312BHDS

As a pilot it reminds me of an old adage in aviation. The way to make a small fortune in aviation is to start with a big fortune. Ha It's a black hole for money like my airplane was or a few boats I owned. Anyone living under the delusion that these things are some kind of investment - well I have a bridge to sell them. They are a luxury believe it or not to differing degrees depending on how far one takes it. I am shocked the IRS lets us deduct them for recreational use.

Peer pressure on forums and at camp sites or in my case family events often leads to bigger luxury items than one really needs (I didn't take the bait on the huge truck and fifth wheel for another $50k like my brother-in-law had to have). lol
Old 09-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbln930 View Post
(I didn't take the bait on the huge truck and fifth wheel for another $50k like my brother-in-law had to have). lol
At least not yet, lol!
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
No matter what you buy you are going to have to put money into it. I don't care if it is a house, boat, or an RV. Every time I go out some little thing happens, I know it will and accept it. I surly didn't buy my TT for an investment, I bought it for all the enjoyment it brings me. I'm also retired so it gives me something to tinker with and keeps me out of my wifes hair.. Just go out an have fun...You can make great friends and great memories...
Thanks WD

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 09-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbln930 View Post
As a pilot it reminds me of an old adage in aviation. The way to make a small fortune in aviation is to start with a big fortune. Ha It's a black hole for money like my airplane was or a few boats I owned. Anyone living under the delusion that these things are some kind of investment - well I have a bridge to sell them. They are a luxury believe it or not to differing degrees depending on how far one takes it. I am shocked the IRS lets us deduct them for recreational use.

Peer pressure on forums and at camp sites or in my case family events often leads to bigger luxury items than one really needs (I didn't take the bait on the huge truck and fifth wheel for another $50k like my brother-in-law had to have). lol
LOL! I heard that one about farming... want to know how to make a million farming? start with two million. Oh, and where is that bridge?
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 09-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #38

Don't buy an RV

The money you spend on an RV has a lot to do with where you can be happy. Fancy stuff, tv and video equipment, sewage and fresh supplies, leveling and set-up stuff, kitchen and bath supplies, BR stuff, inside and outside storage supplies, tools, plumbing and electric supplies, tires....this list would be very long, electrical upgrades and various adapters, 5th or GN or hitch adapters/accessories, awning poles/supports, ice maker/ice chests and supplies, cleaners/conditioners/waxes...these lists are broad. Many things are grouped together. Nothing for TV where applicable, no food, walking around money(Sling Blade), no camping money and no sight seeing money. Easy to go on.

These things are what the attorneys should warn about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote