Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #1

Downsizing - Is Now a Good Time to Trade?

I've belonged to the Forums for a couple years and my husband and I garnered good information often. Thank you!
My husband passed away last summer (near the end of a wonderful camping trip in Wisconsin). I need to downsize from our 2017 MicroLite 25FKS. I've already sold the diesel F250 we pulled it with and purchased a 2019 Ford Ranger. I've even picked out my next camper! It's going to be a Rockwood Geo Pro 15TB. I live just 20 miles from Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott, Iowa, where we purchased our MicroLite. Late last fall I discussed my intentions with them and they were willing to take the MicroLite in trade for the Geo Pro. And now the virus has hit our economy hard and closed down campgrounds. Should I start negotiations now or wait for things to move toward some kind of normalcy again? Isolation has been very hard on me and I do need something positive to think about!
Connie Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #2
Citrus County, Fl.

I would think with the economy the way it is right now they would be very generous and want to do business with you. Many dealers will do the paperwork and deliver to you so you don't have to go into their office.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #3

It's a good time to buy, but a bad time to sell. With so many people out of work, the first thing they're going to sell off are the toys.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Grace View Post
Should I start negotiations now or wait for things to move toward some kind of normalcy again? Isolation has been very hard on me and I do need something positive to think about!
I'm so sorry for your loss. This must be a very difficult time for you.

It couldn't hurt to start negotiations now. You should probably do as much of the negotiation over the phone as possible.

Some health care workers are purchasing rvs to self isolate from their families and your larger trailer would probably be in demand. I'm not certain how much difference in price you'd pay between waiting or selling now. If you've got to order that trailer, most of the rv manufacturers are closed at the moment

That trailer looks like it would be a lot of fun to camp with. To occupy your time, you could start planning where things will go and how you want to decorate it. You don't need the trailer itself to do that.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #5

New Camper

I would think this will be as good as time as you could get to trade. I think there will be some real deals on RV dealers lots. Cheyenne camper sales are square shooters.
Slim
djreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #6

Caution, many people are buying now to relocate to non-populous areas to avoid the Corona. The down-turn in the economy has not been very long and good deals may or may not be available.

Do diligent research and move slowly. Time is on your side.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #7

Sorry for your loss. Good to see you still want to go camping.

I'd start the negotiation now by asking the dealer to make an offer. Times are uncertain so they may not offer a good price on a used trailer. I'd look at their number and think about putting an ad in the local weekly shopper guides or online craigs list type places and see if you can get a better price. Can't hurt. You've got to sell since you sold the tow vehicle.

But I would not be in a rush to buy. The financial guys on TV are starting to talk how the economy may take longer to come back than people think. That can only be good for prices.

And unfortunately some of the reasoning is that the virus may take longer to clear out that some have suggested. That would be bad for camping. I don't think I would want to buy a camper and then have to wait many months before using it.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #8

Class A to small C

Before all this hit went from a 37' class A to a 23' mini C. Best move I ever made. 1/3 the cost of the payments, 1/8 the cost of parking it, 1/2 the amount of gas to go anywhere. Less is more.
Sam54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #9

Cool X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's a good time to buy, but a bad time to sell. With so many people out of work, the first thing they're going to sell off are the toys.
Dealers want to make sales but not take trades or give you much $$ on trades. Traded RV's sitting around on the lot draw people away from the new units which they have floor planned on the lot and wnt to sell.

If you can afford it, the smart play would be to buy now for cash only and wait to sell your current unit yourelf when camping is back going full tilt and the market is strong. Dealers will negotiate on a cash deal as they are strapped. They have bills too.

We might see a strong RV sales market begin later this summer or it could be as late as spring 2021...longer if there's a major recession as a result of these shut downs. A lot is in the air...except that now's a good time to get a cash (i.e. or financing) deal with NO trade. The spring sales that dealers were counting on are not there.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. This must be a very difficult time for you.

Some health care workers are purchasing rvs to self isolate from their families and your larger trailer would probably be in demand. I'm not certain how much difference in price you'd pay between waiting or selling now. If you've got to order that trailer, most of the rv manufacturers are closed at the moment
That's a great observation by Reverse Snowbird. If you advertise in nearby hospital communties you could have a good buyer, as health care workers are making good money, working overtime and may need quick need alternative housing to protect their loved ones. It could sell fast for a fair market price.

Moving your current TT to the buyer's location if you sell it is not your problem.

You could even make your new RV purchase contingent on selling the old one in a hospital community before you commit to a new one if money is tight.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:09 PM   #11

I believe the warranty starts the minute you sign the papers. How long will it be between signing and actual camping? Only time will tell.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:46 PM   #12

When I bought my RV it came down to two dealers... Cheyenne in Wilcott and Lakeshore in Muskegon, MI. Lakeshore beat everyones price by far. Just sayin. I live in Kansas. Bought the RV, went up there to MI to pick it up and camped my way back home.
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650
1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
2004 f150 & 2008 f350 dually V-10
hiinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote