Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #21

Never had a thing stolen and I usually leave the camper unlocked when we are on a walk. The only thing I chain is the EQ hitch if I remove it from the truck. It wouldn't be much fun trying to get home without it!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #22
Not such a Junior anymore

In 30 years of tent camping (we're new to the TT world), we only had one ice chest stolen.

The bear dragged it into the woods, took all our left-overs out (tore the hinges off the Igloo 120 qt cooler), and had a feast.

The only thing I lock up to the bumper is our Honda generator & mtn bikes. Everything else (chairs, portable BBQ, misc camp table stuff) is left for the taking. I did install locking clamps on our trailer batteries that sit on the front.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #23

We use a heavy duty bike lock on the things that we can just to keep the honest folks honest....
they are inexpensive.

mooneybeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #24
one day at a time

Had 2 race tickets stolen at Talladega last fall. Got into my camper left 2 Iphones,Ipod, Nikon D40 and D60 etc. Was a real downer on our trip.
Idle_Idylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #25

True story, years ago while tent camping at John Pennekamp SP in Key Largo FL, and us sitting no more than 10-15' away, a pack of raccoons ran up to our picnic table and stole our coffee pot and two just-filled coffee mugs. It was the most insane sight to see the pack run away with our stuff in hand with out spilling one drop!

Other than that we have never had anything stolen, knock on wood x3.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #26

I think that true campers are a different breed of honest people. Been camping for about 15 years and 4 campers later - never anything stolen. Knock Knock on wood. I really enjoy the camping life and people that I encounter d/t the camping mentalities and their enjoyment of life.
P.S. shop around for the zero gravity chairs - bought mine for about $40 each @ Michael's on sale and have been using them for 4 years - no problem.

Happy camping

Bill
powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #27

Same here the only thing stolen in my 18 plus years of camping on a regular basis was an ice chest and you guessed it right full of beer at a state park in New Mexico. Probably some young kids. I do lock things up now especially my trek bike and winegard carryout statlite. I have found that campers for the most part are honesr and helpful.
riciren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #28

It must have been nice when the whole world was like that....I remember my parents saying they never even locked their doors on their homes.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Did the perp look like this ...?
No, he was much bigger! Think Yogi and BooBoo.
Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #30
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
True story, years ago while tent camping at John Pennekamp SP in Key Largo FL, and us sitting no more than 10-15' away, a pack of raccoons ran up to our picnic table and stole our coffee pot and two just-filled coffee mugs. It was the most insane sight to see the pack run away with our stuff in hand with out spilling one drop!

Other than that we have never had anything stolen, knock on wood x3.

Now that would have been fun to watch and I totally believe you having had the privlidge of having 2 live with us for 5 1/2 years.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #31
preacherpaul

Never had anything stolen, except for one Louisville fan replacing our Wildcat flag with a Cardinal flag.
preacherpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherpaul View Post
Never had anything stolen, except for one Louisville fan replacing our Wildcat flag with a Cardinal flag.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #33

Had racoons steal the eggs out of the cooler - does that count...
Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #34
The Old Man

When not on the road, my TT is parked in a remote area on 9 forested acres where I have full hookups. The site is not visible from any road, but some local scofflaws broke in one time by smashing the glass on the door. (This was about 15 years ago.) Funny thing is that they left without taking anything but the TV remote because one of the thieves appeared to have severely cut himself on the broken glass. There was blood and paper towels all over my deck and they left the TV and a few other items it seems they wanted to steal just sitting on the floor. A few weeks later the sheriff caught the gang and I haven't heard of any problems like this in my area since for years. Too bad he didn't bleed to death.

Fortunately I discovered the break-in before we had any rain damage. But having been violated leaves one feeling a bit uneasy and I sold the TT for another just to get a fresh start. I still feel very anxious in the spring the first time I drive up to my place and I feel a great sense of relief when I find the TT in the condition I left it.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #35

Never had anything taken from a campgound. The campground that is downtown Parksville BC has a large sign outside their office. The sign states "IF ITEMS ARE LEFT OUT THEY WILL BE STOLEN". Did not camp there, the site beside us had their pup on site for a month. The would come back on the weekends and leave all their camping gear out. They had an outdoor oven, chairs, tables, BBQ and stove under a sun screen. Nothing went missing. Most campers look out for each other. Just like a neighbour hood watch.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #36

While camping I haven't had any losses. I did have a very difficult loss while boating. We had a great afternoon on our catamaran to come back to the pin having been removed from my receiver hitch. Let me tell you, you don't move a trailer very far without it. It also took away my faith in the boating community, I can only hope my reaction filled some need. I also quickly learned that an extra pin in my gear box is cheap insurance.
Sportracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #37

I had a ice chest of beer stole. Also had someone try to steal hitch off of truck. When to hook up camper to go home and notice the pin was gone. Went to peaking lot and on the ground was the pin. I guess someone scared them and they left it.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #38

Oh. My wife did have a diamond necklace go missing. Long story. Insurance did pay for it.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #39

We travel with four kayaks and four bikes. Generally boon docking so we don't have to worry about the electrical type items. We have started to lock down the bikes now as well as the kayaks when we are not at the site. Sadly it is starting to be a problem at some of the state parks that we frequent. Joyce
JedinWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We've had coolers of pop and beer stolen but since we've gotten outside kitchen we have no need for coolers filled with beer.
Just another plus for an outside kitchen.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote