RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Ever had camping gear stolen?

Anticipating the delivery of our new XLR Toy Hauler in May and like many newbies I am enjoying surfing various web sites looking for items to make my trailer complete.

Several items that I am considering buying such as a portable surge guard ($225+) and nice zero gravity chairs ($125) are higher value items. Since these items may be left outside the trailer, I am wondering about the incident of theft at campgrounds. Years ago, when we did a lot of camping this was never an issue. Have times changed? Should I put everything inside the trailer every time we leave the site? Do you worry about others taking your 30 or 50 amp extension cords, water hoses, ect? Does it depend on the campground or RV park?

Please share your thoughts.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #2

I would guess every place is a little different.
I have never had anything stolen and the only thing I ever heard about being stolen at the state park I normally camp at is ice chest. I believe it was teenagers stealing them to get beer.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #3

I've lost some items because I left it behind when leaving (nice fly fishing rod as being one) but never had anything stolen, As Gary says, it could depend on the location. I carry three kayaks, and when camping I also have some long cable locks, most places I don't worry about locking them, some places I lock them to the bumper of the trailer. I worry more about stopping at stores or public areas while traveling when they are on my racks, I always lock them when traveling.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #4

I have never had anything stolen. But I do worry about my electrical cord.

2011 Sierra 355 QBQ
04 Ford F350 V10
blatch70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #5

We've tent camped 5-6 times a year for nearly 20 years so all our stuff was outside. Cosidering we had a refrigerator 70,000 btu gas cooktop oven, multiple action packers, screen tent, easy up awning, chairs, coolers, booze, etc. you get the idea!
only 1 time were we robbed and that was while we were sleeping our vehicle was broken into and some cheap golf clubs were stolen. This was by a group of teenagers who also stole from some of the other campers in the area.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Site Team

been camping for over 25 years and have never had anything stolen while camping!
Knock on Wood!
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #7

Just like bikendan, I have been tent and Rv camping for over twenty years and have never has anything taken. I leave my Coleman stoves and lanterns outside when we go.
Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:30 AM   #8

Never happened but that would be a disaster!!! especially when you have everything(keys, cards in it).....
adanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:53 AM   #9

I never had a problem but i see more stuff left behind, just this past weekend a camper pulled off of it's site and left a Direct TV dish and frame work, this was the typy that received not only tv but internet as well. It must have been a seasonal site and it wouldn't fit in there rig.......who knows ?????
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #10

I Have been camping for about 20 years and have 1 cooler (the adult beverage one) and a tackle box taken. both were at the same State Forrest Camp Ground in Michigan. I am still a trusting soul and leave my lanterns and cook-stove and most other items out including coolers. I figure once in 20 years is a pretty good average.

Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #11

Same here. We lock the golf cart up, that's it. One time we had our kids bikes 'removed' from our site. Found them in the lake the next day. A couple of teens didn't have the energy to walk to their parents permanent site from the beach. No harm done...
Cinrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

We leave our stove, chairs and campsite games out as well as hoses and power and have yet to have any issues. Big ticket stuff like the Honda genny are chained in the box of the truck with logging chain and the box locked, wouldn't stop a determined thief but would slow them down.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #13

We have not had anything taken over the years. I believe there is a "code" amoung campers, and everyone watches out for others. I know there are others who would disagree, but I will continue to trust until there is a reason not too.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #14

I have never had anything stolen while camping but I trust nobody and would lock anything that I value.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #15

Yes, darnit. Made camp in a very remote site seven miles from macadam, went fishing that evening, came back and found the camp ransacked. They tried to get away with the playmate but only succeeded in scratching it badly. I didn't get a good look at the thief since it was dark, but I did see him making his getaway. I believe he was wearing a black, furry looking coat. A guy shouldn't have to put it with such shenanigans just because he's dumb enough to leave food coolers and other items sit in the open.
Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemj View Post
Anticipating the delivery of our new XLR Toy Hauler in May and like many newbies I am enjoying surfing various web sites looking for items to make my trailer complete.

Several items that I am considering buying such as a portable surge guard ($225+) and nice zero gravity chairs ($125) are higher value items. Since these items may be left outside the trailer, I am wondering about the incident of theft at campgrounds. Years ago, when we did a lot of camping this was never an issue. Have times changed? Should I put everything inside the trailer every time we leave the site? Do you worry about others taking your 30 or 50 amp extension cords, water hoses, ect? Does it depend on the campground or RV park?

Please share your thoughts.
Jim
Were like the other campers and have never lost anything. Now saying that, I lock the portable surge gurard to the post with a cable. it just makes honest people more honest. I have herd that honda generators were a choice selection in Arizona and everyone had to lock them up.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkconfer View Post
Yes, darnit. Made camp in a very remote site seven miles from macadam, went fishing that evening, came back and found the camp ransacked. They tried to get away with the playmate but only succeeded in scratching it badly. I didn't get a good look at the thief since it was dark, but I did see him making his getaway. I believe he was wearing a black, furry looking coat. A guy shouldn't have to put it with such shenanigans just because he's dumb enough to leave food coolers and other items sit in the open.
Did the perp look like this ...?
Attached Images

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
Campfire Master

I put our chairs away at night, mostly to avoid them getting wet from rain or condensation. Several years ago we left a cooler with some beer and wine coolers outside. Woke up in the morning and the cooler was gone. Found it later back in the woods, wine was still there, beer was gone. Bunch of other campers had the same problem.
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #19

Coolers and bicycles are the most common thing I hear of getting stolen. Gotta love a good lock to keep honest people honest.
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #20

We've only ever had a cooler stolen ...and like most have already mentioned, found later emptied of beer!