Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

Question Extended Good Sams RV Repair service

Has any one out there purchased extended service for your RV and also have you had to claim on it?
We have a 2015 class C Coachmen Leprechaun 32'. Getting ready to take on a 1st trip of any length. I am not talking about the regular Good Sams RV insurance but rather the Extended plan they advertise.
I could use your expertise on this subject.
Stepheng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #2

I have had the Good Sam Extended Service plan for many years. I had it with my first fifth wheel and transferred it over to a new 2004 Montana fifth wheel when I purchased that one. It paid for itself many times over with all of the problems that I had with that particular RV. When I purchased a new 2014 fifth wheel last year I again had the policy transferred to the new one. I would not be without it. I have had no problems getting work approved and done in a timely manner.

2014 Cardinal 3450RL
2011 Ford F350 SD DRW
F.R.O.G. Members
jackdn0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #3

I have a recently purchased 2015 Forester. I just purchased a 7yr $100 deductible esp from Wholesale Warranties and it was $2000 cheaper then Good Sam's. Checked as many bloggs as I could and found no problems with WW.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #4

I've had GS extended warranty since 2004 on three TTs. I guess I've been lucky. Never a claim, but I sure like the peace of mind it brings.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #5

Extended service policy

I would not own an RV without an extended service plan!!! When it comes to RV ownership, "Murphy" is alive and well!! By that I mean, "whatever can happen, will happen" sooner or later and to be without a policy in this day of faulty/shoddy workmanship...a fact of life...is fool hearty and expensive.

I've got a 2005 Cedar Creek, 34' 5th wheel and the policy I bought for that RV cost $1,300.00 4 1/2 years ago. The policy has shelled out roughly $7,000.00 during that time period for one warranty repair or another. I plan to renew it come September.

I did have a bad experience with Good Sam. They have a strict policy that one MUST get prior approval before making what would come under warranty covered repairs. I was in the middle of Canada with a broken/leaking black water tank. I could not reach Good Sam after numerous attempts. I had the repairs made and a couple of months later submitted a claim with documentation and an explanation of the circumstances. It all fell on deaf ears. I was out $700.00! I cancelled the policy the next day and was charged $50.00 (administrative costs) for early cancellation.
Shop around...!!! Costs ae dramatically different and CAN often be negotiated.
tyke8319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #6

We bought a Star RV warranty (service plan) they had a good rating and were about half the price of some others. The major systems of your RV are covered by each manufacturer so you should not have to buy anything right away. Good luck
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #7

The plus to the Good Sam ESP is that it is honored at Camping World. Thus, you have essentially a nation-wide warranty program.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #8

I purchased the good sam extended. Crap!!! I needed a caliper 6 months the repair place fought with them. Finally had to get to the president's level. They gave me $70. This was the second claim, the first was worse. I would not, I WILL NOT. give Good Sam another Dollar. I found ( figured out the leveler controller ) did not work. They won't talk to me they talk only to a qualified service rep. Excuse me I am an inter provincially licensed electrician licensed since 1970 and they will only talk to a TECHNICIAN!!! Excuse me. Last dollar they will see.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #9

Extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
The plus to the Good Sam ESP is that it is honored at Camping World. Thus, you have essentially a nation-wide warranty program.
Camping world will honor any legitimate extended warranty plan.
tyke8319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:18 PM   #10

Good Sam prefers that you use Camping World for repairs. Recently there have been some problems with prices/repairs done by other than Camping World. I don't think their policies are the same as they have been in the past.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #11

I did have the extended Good Sam repair insurance with a $300 deductible. The microwave broke and it was so difficult to get reasonable support from Good Sam that I cancelled the policy and used the proceeds from the unexpired portion of the insurance to get a new microwave, plus I had money left over, even though I was charged $50 to cancel the policy. I came to the conclusion that the claims agents must be rewarded for giving policy holders the run around when a claim is made.

Philip
Philip Rank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #12

Read the fine print! I know it takes time, but it's worth it. I compared several Extended Service Plans (ESP) and ended up going with what the dealer offered. It is the Preserve Elite plan...one fourth of Good Sam's plan and item for item, almost a perfect match. I believe Good Sam gets its reputation from a great camping guide and related items, but they use that as leverage to sell some very expensive insurance, ESP and roadside assistance plans. Don't buy their products just because you feel good about the company. Do the research! You'll be glad you did.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #13

Read the fine print. Had the ESP plan for 3 yrs and they refused to replace AC compressor because seal failed

Hadn't paid extra for seal and gasket coverage.

Bill
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam, repair, service