Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

Extended Warrantys

Close to taking delivery of a new Sabre 5th wheel. Of course the dealer is pushing an extended warranty. I know about the extra one year with FR and I plan on taking that deal. My point here is to start a thread about our experiences with Extended Warranty's. I know there are many who do not think they are worth the money and many who do. It's a personal thing. Since there is a limited number of suppliers for these warranty's I thought it would be as good idea to see who has used which one and their experiences with each, if any. I usually tend to purchasing these things just for peace of mind. I currently have one on my Jayco trailer and my Ford Expedition and haven't used either. My concern is that all the warranty's call for performing the manufacturers recommended maintenance so does that mean if I didn't vacuum a filter or spray some lube as scheduled my claim will be denied? That along with companies going out of business is what concerns me. So if you have an extended warranty and have used it let's hear from you. Heck even if you haven't used it pipe in.

Thanks
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
sw1

I am on the fence on the FR one myself. It is being offered for $150 for an extra year for my new 26TBSS. I quickly looked it over and I am stuck on the fact that it only covered "manufacturers defects". I am not sure, but this sounds to me like a BS deal.
sw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #3

I was unaware of the extra year warranty from FR and I was not offered it. The dealer did offer a 3rd party extended warranty and I went for it. I must have been caught up in the the euphoria of spending all my money at that time. Anyway, it usually is against my better judgement, but I did get it and have yet to use it. Hoping never to use it, but there is a certain feeling of comfort knowing that I have it to fall back on should the need arise.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #4

Warranty

Lots of us on the fence. I am tired of buying expensive extended warranty's. The FR wasn't offered by your dealer because he was pushing his more expensive plan. As SW1 stated it is a manufacturing defect warranty. That said I spoke to the the warranty representative for Palamino yesterday (nice guy. I have had several conversations with him) He told me he has never turned down a reasonable warranty request if someone has year 2. So since I have decided not to purchase the dealer warranty, I will purchase the FR because it is only $150.00. FR should make it mandatory that their warranty be placed in front of the customer as an option but in reality I think FR would rather you didn't purchase it. I think they used to offer 2 years but changed to one year.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #5

We got a "free" 3 month extended warranty with the purchase of our used Rockwood Mini Lite 2309. It was through Xtra Ride. It has more than paid for itself. we've had to have both holding tanks replaced ($1200) and the cooling unit on the fridge is being replaced now ($1400). A few paperwork hassles, but they paid for the holding tanks within 3 weeks and have agreed to pay for fridge repairs. Thank God the issues surfaced during our first 3 months of ownership! We were offered the option of buying an 3 or 5 yr warranty but said no, I asked DH if we should invest in a longer warranty due to these issues but his take was - there's little else that would need replacing under a warranty - just the AC, water heater and inverter and we could pay for new ones for the cost of an additional warranty.
2013 Days Camped, since April: 33
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #6

I think the Forest River extended warrany was not that expensive so I took it but never had to use the warranty
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #7

Do your homework before purchasing an extended service contract from a dealer because they typically have a hefty mark-up. My dealer tried to sell me a 60 month/72,000 mile extended service contract for $3,000.
I did some research and purchased one after I left the dealer for a lot less. I was able to get an 84 month/100,000 mile full coverage package ("bumper-to-bumper") for for $2,300 and it has paid for itself already.
Caveat emptor.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #8

what company did you get your warranty from?
2013 Days Camped, since April: 33
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #9

The Forest River 2nd year warranty for $150 or $200 is the same warranty that you have for the first year from Forest River. It is realy a no brainer.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #10

I would rather work with Forest River for warranty issues. Their 2nd year warranty is a bargain. At the end of the two year warranty we will weigh whether an extended warranty is worth it. By then, just like with autos, we will be overwhelmed with offers for extended coverage.
2bshredded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #11

I agree

I agree the FR warranty is a not brainer. FR cashed my $150.00 check last week.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Old 08-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #12

We're getting ready to sign the papers on our 2014 Windjammer 2809W next week. We're faced with the same decision. Get the 2nd yr FR warranty or go for the 3rd party warranty. Our guy at the dealer told my DH we should not waste our money dealing with FR warranty because it was such a hassle & that they only covered manufacturer defects. But I thought the guy was just trying to sell us on the bigger priced 3rd party warranty that is supposed to cover "bumper to bumper". Any thoughts?
2Barnetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #13

The guy (dealer) gets a kickback from the 3rd party warranty company but not from FR.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #14

What about the coverage Good Sam is always pushing? I am not sure of the cost but I know I get mailers all the time about their extended warranty coverage.
I did buy the second year from FR but never used it. I guess that's a good thing! The cost made it a no brained for us though. Personally, I try to do as little as possible through the dealer. Anything they are offering means a portion of that sale is going in their pocket. Like a previous poster said I have learned to shop around on my own for this type of item. Generally I will get a much better deal on the 'net.
I should also add that shortly after we purchased our camper we got mailings from Dometic, Thetford, and Suburban with offers to purchase additional coverage through them directly. This made me wonder if all the appliances and major components all have their own warranties why not just get those? Those would be the costly repairs anyway!
lriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #15

That's true! I'll have to check into that. Thank you!
2Barnetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #16

Those extended warranties/service plans have a built in sales commission that often equals 50% of their cost. I would highly recommend the Forest River 2nd year warranty for the $150 or $200 and even if your model is not listed, ask, my V-Cross fiver was not listed as one that they offer the 2nd year on but they did give it to me fot the $150. It is the same warranty that you have from Forest River for the first year.
Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #17

I just purchased the second year warranty for our new Wildcat. For the cost of $150.00 I don't see how you could go wrong. These dealers are very sneaky about this offer. Mine did not tell me squat about it, they just kept pushing their more expensive warranty that they carry. I never received any documentation on this offer. I only just heard of it from this forum. Thanks guys....
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKirk View Post
what company did you get your warranty from?
Hi DKirk,
I picked mine up from a company called Wholesale Warranties. The service contract is from NAC out of Ohio. So far they have treated me fairly on claims.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #19

Can the FR warranty be purchased after the sale of the rv? Got my rv today and there was no mention of the FR warranty, just an over priced 3rd party.
Wish I would have noticed this thread before today.
benitslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #20

Warranty time frame

FR states you must mail the check and application within 10 days of purchase. I have heard that there is some flexibility in the time frame if you can make a case that the dealer didn't offer it up. How much flexibility I don't know.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K