Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2021, 11:01 AM   #41
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canto3
You have that luxury when your talking a Lear 35 @ $15M+ or a G400 @ $35M+. You can mock up wiring harnesses all day long for a year.
Not even close. For starters, I've worked on Lear 35's when they came out in the 70's. They were closer to 5 million. They had the new Garrett AiResearch TFE731 turbofan engine, one of the first turbofans and not a turbojet, that literally disassembled itself with some degree of regularity yet people kept buying them. My one customer had a pair of them and also had at least one explosive engine failure a year until Garrett got things redesigned.

Manufacturers create repeatable, standardized processes to reduce defects and for regulatory compliance. And because they reduce defects and thus warranty exposure.

Quote:
A big difference between those and a $30K plywood box built of crap being wired by some part time Amish hog farmer, or a first day on the job tweaker hired through the temp staffing agency.

And when do you think that is going to start lol? I've said the same thing since I bought the first one of these piles of junk close to 13 years ago.
It will start when the current method no longer works, whatever the reason.

I find it interesting that you apparently think little of the workers' abilities yet you still bought multiple RV's built by those people. Obviously you consider "good enough is good enough" or you would no longer purchase or own RV's. As does almost every other repeat buyer.

While you seemingly mentioned Thor in a negative context, they have an interesting note in their last 10-K SEC filing. They noted that, in their towables division only, they had instituted quality improvement processes and that those production changes resulted in a material decrease in warranty costs.

To make it into their Annual Report senior management had to take notice and approve it. I'm certain they are now integrating similar improvements across their lines but that takes a lot of time. Their subsequent filings will be interesting to read in that regard.

Ray
Old 11-19-2021, 04:18 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I find it interesting that you apparently think little of the workers' abilities yet you still bought multiple RV's built by those people. Obviously you consider "good enough is good enough" or you would no longer purchase or own RV's. As does almost every other repeat buyer.

Not really, Twice we have ordered from factory and refused to purchase the unit that arrived with our name on it due to blatent defects. If you want to own one of these things you have little choice as the mediocre workmanship is across the board. Look close before buying for any large defects, then get out the tools, buy lots of screws, and get at finishing and correcting the build. Even spending thousands more for supposedly higher end trailers gets you little, and certainly no guarantees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
While you seemingly mentioned Thor in a negative context, they have an interesting note in their last 10-K SEC filing. They noted that, in their towables division only, they had instituted quality improvement processes and that those production changes resulted in a material decrease in warranty costs.
The best we have owned from a build quality standpoint was Thor (Keystone). That said it was far from perfect, and if you nose around any Thor brand dedicated forum you'll see they are worse in the build quality department than Forest River.
Canto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:23 AM   #43

well just got a 2021 Artic Wolf 29IRL. MSRP $59k. Got it for $37k. Said new one's coming in 2022 will be MSRP $72K.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:35 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
We just picked up our new 2022 Alpha Wolf 26-RBL from RV Valuemart near Lancaster PA a few weeks ago that we ordered at the beginning of June. Price stayed the same and we paid exactly what we were quoted at the time we put the deposit down. Great experience from beginning to end. Would highly recommend them.
Got our WP FQ 2021 from Willow Street location June of 2020 which back then was ~41% MSRP. Quick look at their FR on-hand inventory shows offering of 12-22% off MSRP depending on model etc. I would not know their current pricing policy with regards to build to order units. Their service dept is pretty good as well as they replaced the unit's defective door(2 weeks out of one year warranty) as warranty claim.
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 03:48 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inciter View Post
Well It makes me feel alittle better knowing the dealer is not getting greedy. We are hoping to do the walk thru this this Satuerday, Waiting 6 months I don't what to do that again.

Thanks to you all for the thought and comments.

I think it would be very appropriate to ask him to prove it or do some homework and get other pricing. I know I would not be okay with taking them for their word.
TonyM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:39 PM   #46

Prices through the Roof!

I feel bad for people looking to purchase a new RV these days. I Was poking around on RVtrader and found the 2022 version of my trailer for sale. We paid $19,995 for a brand new Flagstaff Microilte 21FBRS in March of 2017. They want double that now for the same trailer. OMDB. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...BRS-5018345101
Old 12-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #47

Yeah you aren't kidding I have a seven year old truck that is worth more now then what I paid for it new back in 2015 and a 2016 Rockwood Ultra Lite that we ordered new and paid 29K OTD now the average retail on KBB is what we paid for it.

A new 2022 Rockwood Ultra Lite is over 50K now.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, roo, roof