Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

Fuel from Card Lock vs. standard auto station

Hi all,

In Canada you can sign up with one of the major oil companies for "card lock" service. Most of the commercial trucking companies use this service. You find one of their stations, pull in to one of the pumps, swipe your special card and fill up.

You don't actually pay for the fuel then and there. At the end of the month you get an invoice and pay it.

Benefits: Usually the fuel is a few cents cheaper than going to the standard automotive pumps. Using the large nozzles meant for big trucks fills my Duramax tank pretty quickly.

Downsides: the stations are not ubiquitous and take some planning to hit - they are usually at a truck stop location or industrial area on the edge of town.

We are planning a major trip across Canada and the US next year. Does this system exist in the US? Does anyone recommend it or not?
OldGoldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #2

I have not seen it here, but my travels have been curtailed this year. It sounds like a pretty good idea.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #3

Sounds like the RV card from Pilot/Flying J. Use their card. Get 5¢ discount. (I use gas, diesel may be different.). Then at end of month they invoice me and I pay them from online banking.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoldwing View Post

Downsides: the stations are not ubiquitous and take some planning to hit - they are usually at a truck stop location or industrial area on the edge of town.

We are planning a major trip across Canada and the US next year. Does this system exist in the US? Does anyone recommend it or not?
They exist in the US but for non-commercial customers they aren't all that great. You might save a penny or two but it will be offset by having to cruise around to find the facility.

They exist primarily to provide commercial customers with fleets of vehicles. Pricing is determined by contract with customers.

One such card lock service I'm familiar with here is Pacific Pride.

Pacific Pride USA

I used to work with the founder when he and I were just starting at an oil company in the late 60's.

Here's their network map:

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarianocnj View Post
Sounds like the RV card from Pilot/Flying J. Use their card. Get 5¢ discount. (I use gas, diesel may be different.). Then at end of month they invoice me and I pay them from online banking.
Flying J card gives you 9 cents off Diesel. You don't have to go inside and you can also fill your DEF tank at the DEF pump on the same transaction. Downside is 9 cents off is rarely if ever the best price you can find using GasBuddy phone app.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Flying J card gives you 9 cents off Diesel. You don't have to go inside and you can also fill your DEF tank at the DEF pump on the same transaction. Downside is 9 cents off is rarely if ever the best price you can find using GasBuddy phone app.
x2 GasBuddy is your best bet. In Canada (British Columbia) most of the truck stops like Flying J are more expensive. Easy in and out with restaurants etc. But that is what you are paying for.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:57 AM   #7

Sympathy for Sami from my Maggie Mae❤️
Working hard on “elderhood”
RKBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #8

And also. Gas Buddy has a debit card that takes 5¢ off of gas. Not sure about diesel. In reality it’s a WiX trucker fleet card.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #9

Thanks to all who have replied. Based on your input i did a bit more research into flying J and Pacific Pride. The card lock companies are really about fleet fuel, not just a one-off like me, so no big discounts and only inconvenience to find a location.

We just got back from a trip to the Okanagan in BC and passed a couple of Flying J's. I was paying attention this time and noticed that, yes, their price is a few cents higher than their neighbours. Again, they are not everywhere and not always on the way we are going, so probably won't sign up there either.

GasBuddy looks like a powerful tool for finding the best price in the area. Definitely going to get that app. But I don't think I want another credit card, so probably won't go with the Gasbuddy card.

Thanks all for our input!
OldGoldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #10

Just to let you know. The GasBuddy card is not a credit card. It links to your checking account and is debited instantly. So it’s the same as paying cash except you pay 5¢ less than the receipt they give you.

Tags
fuel, lock