Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #1

Fuel - Truck stops or Gas station

I have been stopping at gas stations to buy my gas, E450. I have access issues in and out ( 30' FR Lexington) as well as blocking other pumps. So I was wondering what is it like to get fuel at a truck plaza? Are prices better, worse or about equal to gas stations? How about services? Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences and knowledge.
gboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
My observations...

prices are about equal.

Truck stop pro's...space is far more plentiful, larger diesel nozzles, amenities are better (windshield washers, water hose, sometimes disposable gloves), basic automotive parts & accessories available, most have restaurants if your into that

Truck stop con's...generally dirtier, some stops may make some wives a little nervous, store likely to be further away from pump (making RV less visible while away), lock your stuff! (should be doing this anyway)

I find Pilot/Flying J's a little more RV friendly and therefore prefer them. (I think I saw that Good Sam members get a discount?)
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:58 AM   #3

I use truck stops. They are more big rig friendly. I think prices are about the same. I look for T/A and Flying J's. They seem to be clean and big.

We also use the book "The Next Exit" and the new edition will tell you what gas stations are RV Friendly.
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:00 AM   #4

We use fly J/Pilot.....my truck is 20 feet and trailer is 39'11" so I feel your room issue....generally even at the auto lanes I have had enough room to get in and out for diesel, when using truck stop...I generally try not to.....

one problem I ran into some back was using the RV isle, Pilot charged my card and also put a hold amount......I had a max daily limit.......this was a security issue that they had on private credit cards, debit cards and so on....was their official answer and it only applied to the RV lane because of the large amounts of fuel(never had it happen at auto Lane).....anyway wasnt that big of issue......

or another issue is pumps always shut off at 75-100 dollars and have to restart....

Anyway, point is - I got a Pilot fuel card and use it, no hold limits and pump till full.....the good point about it is there is a good sam discount and anything you buy there you get rewards points...so I have paid as little as 3.59 a gallon and not more than 3.79 for diesel....we just pay it off after trip...I have used it for gas too...

One draw back to truck stops on diesel is some don't have auto/RV isles and the nozzles fill 36 gallon tanks in about two seconds.....so you have to kind of what out...

I agree with the statement lock your stuff up....truck stops can be a dangerous place...due to con artists, bums, drifters and the likes....

Also agree that the flying J/pilot have generally been cleaner, so has T/A, some of the Loves truck stops.....

one of reason I put an extra tank in truck....I can run about 900-1000 miles before I have to fill up...kind of pick and choose the better of stops.....the rest of time we stop where we want and eat out of camper......

FlyingJ/Pilot has a download for GPS that puts the POI on the GPS of their locations.....

hope this helps....long winded this morning...lol.

Outlawadventurer
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 6.7L
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Truck stops really are not going to help the OP out at all. He's gas, not diesel. The truck lanes do not have gasoline. Some of the newer Pilots/Flying J's have an RV lane with both diesel and gas, but even some of them appear to be a little tough to maneuver. The best advice I can give, is to pick and choose your pump before you pull in. I've had to sit on the road a couple times waiting for a certain pump to open up so that I could pull in and get back out(I'm at 60'+ & 13' 5" high), when forced to use a regular gas station and not a truck stop.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #6

I go where ever it looks like I can fit. I also watch the entrance/exit for dragging. Once I had to back into a small Casey's to the air pump, that was a real challenge with a 34' TT. Hope I never have to do that again. Often I have to back up after filling and swing wide or I won't clear the pumps.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #7

I have been really looking at the prices at the truck stops and I don't find them to be about equal. Just yesterday the truck stops were all running about 3.79 to 3.89... and I paid 3.49 in town... We're using about a tank per day towing... That can add up to 10 to 12 bucks per tank...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #8

Thank you for the information. This is exactly what I was wanting to know.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #9

I use the Flying J's and Pilot. On my last trip from MI to TX in early August they were definitely a few cents cheaper than regular gas stations, plus I got an additional 3 cents off by using my Good Sam Reward card. I have a 32' Sunseeker and never have an issue getting in or out.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #10

I have and will use what ever is handy at the time, my outfit is not hard to maneuver around so it matter little to me.
I get a discount at Maverick, the J's and Pilots, Stinker......

Never had a problem at the truck stops with people but then I am in and out.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #11

Thank you for sharing your experiences. We are about to take a long distance trip with our Class C FR Lexington 283gts and now we know that truck stops are a good option. I have always worried about backing but it's the other drivers that are the big concern.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #12

I definatly use truck stops, with a 41 ft fiver and a 3500 dually I take up alot of space at a service station. Prices seem to be equal and the extra services at a truck stop make it worth while.
Pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #13

Biggest issue with truck stops is using your RV bathroom after walking through all of the oil and grease in the fuel lanes. To get around any credit card glitches, I call my card carrier and tell them my route and timing. I use Love's and Flying J/Pilot when I can. At night I generally drop my 5er to level and fill up locally. I mostly try to avoid stopping in mega town truck stops where the truckers are busy; in and out. By all means, LOCK your stuff down. My bicycles are CHAINED and LOCKED to the rear rack AND the rack is CHAINED to my RV bumper. My Silverback has a factory hitch for carrying bikes.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #14

Being a gas burner, I use the auto side of Flying J, Love's, Pilot ect.
Pulling a 40 ft 5th wheel requires some preplanning and quick judgement as to where I fuel. Also use iExit and the internet to find the best spots.
----------------------------
Nights camping:
(31) 2014, (18) 2013, (62) 2012, (57) 2011
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:27 PM   #15

Seems like some of the Pilots/TAs have limited parking for RVs, so we end up parking at the end of the truck lane if we need to take the dog for a quick walk or use the facilities. Is this their way of punishing us for not using their restaurants?

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Getting gasoline (not diesel) can be a difficult maneuver at many stations, truck stops included. What I do while planning a trip is to check stations reported in Next Exit, and when I see something that interests me, I Google Map it and look for easy access. I then print that page and use it while traveling as a reminder. I also carry a couple gas cans that I can use to carry from the pump to the truck in case I get stuck. So far I haven't had to resort to that.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Easy access, in and out, and back on the road is more important to me than saving a buck or two. I do use Gas Buddy to find the best price, but it's not a priority while traveling.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #18

I start looking at half a tank. ..truck stops are preferred but not always handy....@ ~ 60ft it can get tricky but i always tell my wife "if I can get in I can get her out"....

I have learned that the more confident and versed you are in your backing/manuevering skills are, the less intimidating it is....and some places it just wont work....

All the truck stops I hit up north threw me a little as the diesel pumps had 3 options as well as a "reefer" option. ...had to figure that one out...lol...we only got one diesel pump here in texas...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
Agree 100% with ironj. Couple of times last year I started to second guess myself, but if I can get in, I can get out.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #20

I buy diesel and stop at truck stops all the way. Easy in and out through the truck pumps

Tags
gas, truck