Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #1

Generator Price Drop?

Hi all,

We pick up our new TT this upcoming Friday . My husband and I are considering the "Westinghouse 4,500-Watt Super Quiet Gas Powered Inverter Generator with LED Display, Push Button Start and Remote Start" to power our new Wolf Pup.

My real question is about pricing. Shopping and watching the price for the past week on several different websites, the price has been right around $950.00 shipped. This morning I received an email form eBay that the price had dropped. I verified on several other websites that the price has dropped around $150.

Is this common? Do prices drop seasonally? Should we pounce or see if its going to drop any more?

Thanks everyone.
“There is no Wi-fi in the forest, but I promise you will find a better connection.”
sstevens650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Do some research. This is not the Westinghouse many members grew up with. This is a Chinese product and parts if available come from China. Just to verify, try to get an owners manual and call the service number(s).

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Most if not all Generators are made in China.

Go for it, that is a good price per watt. Just watch the noise calculation as what db it is how far from the generator.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:01 PM   #4

Since you mentioned eBay, is the price drop on a new or used unit?
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Link is Home depot.

Again good deal. Go for it.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Since you mentioned eBay, is the price drop on a new or used unit?
On eBay was it was new. I’ve been able to find it on about half dozen sites at that “price drop”. Husband just spoke to HD and lady there said there online E-commerce only had 500 units at that price to sell. It must be some kind of manufacturer discount. We’re going to buy from HD cause of good customer service and easy retuns (hopefully we don’t have to do that).
“There is no Wi-fi in the forest, but I promise you will find a better connection.”
Old 02-12-2019, 09:13 PM   #7
Old Engineer

Not all Generators are made in China.

Cummins-Onan generators, for one, are not made in China.

They have an extensive dealer service and parts network here in the USA to support OEM warranties.

Do you think it is a coincidence that no RV (or boat) OEM's offer cheaper offshore manufactured generators?

You will not be able to find parts or service information for many of the lower priced generators if you need them, and at that point you have an expensive boat anchor.

"The pain of poor quality lasts much longer than the pleasure of a cheap price".

You get what you pay for.
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstevens650 View Post
On eBay was it was new. I’ve been able to find it on about half dozen sites at that “price drop”. Husband just spoke to HD and lady there said there online E-commerce only had 500 units at that price to sell. It must be some kind of manufacturer discount. We’re going to buy from HD cause of good customer service and easy retuns (hopefully we don’t have to do that).
This is a great price for a great unit, I may buy one too!
Old 02-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
You will not be able to find parts or service information for many of the lower priced generators if you need them, and at that point you have an expensive boat anchor.
Think back 30 years ago...

If your 25 inch color TV broke, you called a repairman, and paid him $100-200 to get it working again, after he ordered parts to repair it and came back in a week.

These days you toss it and buy a better, larger one for nearly the same price you paid 2-3 years earlier...

The same goes for inverter/generators these days...

and what does a Cummins/Onan generator cost these days? a quick look finds a 4 kW for $3,000... and at 172# I am not going to be moving it around much... unless I also carry a pallet jack with me.

So your comparison is apples to oranges...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

I am thinking Honda and Yamaha are not Chinese either.

OBTW, The manufacturer of the Westinghouse line of portable generators is Westpro Power Systems, LLC, in Pewaukee, WI.

http://www.generatorgrader.com/westi...h7500e-review/
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #11
Old Engineer

When comparing an unknown, off-brand generator to a Honda, the price to quality comparison applies every time.

FYI, the "Westinghouse" brand is owned by a venture capital holding company that no one has ever heard of.

Most of these companies don't even publish the terms of their "warranties".

Good Luck.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleckDreher View Post
When comparing an unknown, off-brand generator to a Honda, the price to quality comparison applies every time.

FYI, the "Westinghouse" brand is owned by a venture capital holding company that no one has ever heard of.

Most of these companies don't even publish the terms of their "warranties".

Good Luck.
Wut? The terms of the warranty are right there on the Home Depot website...they have a link with a detailed Westinghouse warranty outlining the terms of the 3 year and Lifetime tech support guarantee.

Plus don’t be fooled by negative nellies about venture capital owners, there are many examples doing great things with great companies, really too many to list. (Anyone heard of Chrysler?)

4500 watt inverter generator that only puts out 52dB and is a name brand for $776? SOLD!
Old 02-12-2019, 10:24 PM   #13
Old Engineer

Quote:
The terms of the warranty are right there on the Home Depot website...they have a link with a detailed Westinghouse warranty outlining the terms of the 3 year and Lifetime tech support guarantee.
A warranty and the offer of lifetime support is only good if the company that stands behind it still exists.

I worked for General Electric (GE).
GE has not manufactured a consumer electronics device in 20 years.

Someone else owns or licenses the "GE" name and brand for marketing purposes.

Marketing companies buy the rights to well known brands so you can be convinced to buy something familiar.

They do not stand behind their products because they have nothing to lose. Try suing them in court, that is why OEM's don't use their products, no one stands behind them.

As an expert witness I see this all the time.

As I said, "Good Luck".
Old 02-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #14

Quote:
A warranty and the offer of lifetime support is only good if the company that stands behind it still exists.

I worked for General Electric (GE).
GE has not manufactured a consumer electronics device in 20 years.

Someone else owns or licenses the "GE" name and brand for marketing purposes.

Marketing companies buy the rights to well known brands so you can be convinced to buy something familiar.

They do not stand behind their products because they have nothing to lose. Try suing them in court, that is why OEM's don't use their products, no one stands behind them.

As an expert witness I see this all the time.

As I said, "Good Luck".
Still not worried. Home Depot carries decent products and has an excellent return policy. I’m sorry GE soured you, and Jack Welch destroyed it, but Not all of us are still living in that world
Old 02-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #15
Old Engineer

Quote:
Still not worried. Home Depot carries decent products and has an excellent return policy. I’m sorry GE soured you, but Not all of us are haters.
Sorry you don't like my disagreement with your premise.

I certainly don't hate General Electric, and I never implied that. You did, before you edited your post.

FYI, GE has made me very well off in retirement. I like them and they consult me for my expertise in these matters.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Still not worried. Home Depot carries decent products and has an excellent return policy. I’m sorry GE soured you, and Jack Welch destroyed it, but Not all of us are still living in that world
I think you meant to say Jeff Imellt destroyed it....

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Sorry you don't like my disagreement with your premise.

I certainly don't hate General Electric, and I never implied that. You did, before you edited your post.

FYI, GE has made me very well off in retirement. I like them and they consult me for my expertise in these matters.
No, you brought up to the forum by re-posting the unedited post. Not necessary... are you living on the refresh button?

Are you a lawyer or an old engineer? Acting more like a lawyer... I’m an old engineer and we all pay our money and take our chances sometimes. I’ve spent many an hour in the engine room on my boat troubleshooting my Koehler generator. Many $$$$ generator but still prone to failure. I’m certainly not going to sue them due to issues or is anyone likely to sue over a $700 portable generator so I don’t really see your point. I don’t know about any lifetime warranty on generators?

I guess my point is we are talking $700 here versus $1000 for a ‘Honda’. But the Honda is 2200 watts and this is 4500 watts so we are really talking $700 vs $2000 to have equivalent watts... sounds like a chance I would take.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:51 AM   #18
Old Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
No, you brought up to the forum by re-posting the unedited post. Not necessary... are you living on the refresh button?

Are you a lawyer or an old engineer? Acting more like a lawyer...
I responded to a post, and then it was edited to remove the HATER accusation.

I did not re-post anything.

I am not a lawyer and I never suggested that anyone needed to sue anyone.

What are you talking about?

I only deal in facts, not innuendo.

You should try it.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:01 AM   #19

Both adults in this household have researched generators till blue in the face. Seriously, I’m tired of generators being the main subject at the dinner table. The Westinghouse is not a bad generator.

I know the Honda is better. We are lifelong Honda Motorsport fans and any “heavier” machinery we buy is usually Honda. Dalford is right, it’s about $2200 for the equivalent wattage for the parallel Hondas.

We’re going to risk it and spend the $800 shipped to get this generator (also got a cover). If it takes a poop on us then next time we’ll get the Honda.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #20

yes it seems that various retailers offer specials on generators from time to time. i can't comment on the brand of generator. the only comment i would add would be the size of the generator. i'm assuming you have a 30 amp trailer. it will be able to use 3600 watts (30 amp x 120 volts) before you trip the main breaker. the generator you are looking at is 4500 watts. of course it will work just fine, but you'll never use all 4500 watts. have you looked at generators in the 3600 watt size? they may be a bit cheaper, but i do not know.

Tags
generator