Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #41

I've had both Good Sam and FMAC.... I used Good Sam when I broke an axle spring on my fifth wheel while driving down I-5 near Salem Oregon... They got this fixed for me, but I sat along the freeway for several hours.

I switched over to FMCA a couple of years ago.... Haven't used them, but I think their program covers more things, and it's cheaper...

Take a look at both and listen to the actual experiences of members on this Forum...
Old 12-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #42

Good Sam roadside assistance

We recently had to use Good Sam roadside assistance as we needed to be winched out of a situation with our 37' RV. Called Good Sam and they arranged for a tow truck/winch to come to us in less than an hour. Once the tow guys arrived and started working, Good Sam apparently called the tow company and told them they wouldn't cover the charges. And this was after we texted photos to the tow company so they could adequately quote the cost to Good Sam and received approval to proceed.
Called the concierge desk at Good Sam and they assured us everything was covered so worked continued. Just as tow guys were finishing up, Good Sam dispatch guy calls us back and clarifies that Good Sam will only pay $220 (only cover one guy and one truck). Tow guy says charges are over $1,000 and bills us $800!
We submitted a claim with detailed notes of all phone calls back and forth. Received a check for $800 from Good Sam a week or so later. Not sure the benefit is worth the hassle so will look at other options. But did appreciate the quick turnaround time on our claim.
Magnus GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #43
Lifesylers

I may be confused, but I just checked the FMCA, I see the cost to join...85, but it appears if you want that extra that is also an additional charge.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #44

I have the tow from family motor coach think it cost me about 85 dollars a year got it for three years the first two weeks I had it I got one flat the first week and one the second week they told me no problem love them
mr.dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #45

you can call them in the morning and they will tell you any thing you want to know 1800.543.2622 good luck
by the way I do have good sam for the 10% off on camp grounds work out that and 6 cents off on gas at flying j
mr.dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:13 PM   #46

Travel Assist is NOT the roadside assistance product. That is a different discussion.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:58 PM   #47
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Travel Assist is NOT the roadside assistance product. That is a different discussion.
Folks simply don't read.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:43 PM   #48

I read reviews online

With anything even these plans to cover break downs, towing etc I always research online reviews. I seem many negative reviews on this and passed. I went with AAA, and even they let me down this year in Daytona.
The way I look at it, noting is written in stone. Hope you never need to use it.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:35 AM   #49
ysidive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp1950 View Post
Great thread, and has answered a lot of questions.

I'm new to the RV life, just bought my TT in July. I joined Good Sam because it gave me some great deals on needed items through Camper World. (Plus I get deals through Gander Outdoors.) But I also get their flyers for the Travel Assist every other month. In fact I was just thinking about the posting same question.

I'm usually traveling alone, so I wonder if this would be a helpful policy. No one else around to get the rig home if needed. But I have also found through other travelers that there are many trusted mobile repair guys.

After reading everyone's experiences, I think I will hold off. I have AAA Plus which covers a lot for my truck. I can change the tire on my TT. Not much else the Good Sam policy would give me.
You can get AAA for motorhome or Travel trailer if you are a plus member.... Reasonalble pricing..
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #50

AAA does not offer a policy similar to Travel Assist. They offer a roadside assistance program (and I am a subscriber.) I just don't want people to confuse the two. Read both carefully to be sure you are getting the coverage you expect.
Andersen hitch
Old 12-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #51

My wife and I have medical evacuation through MASA. Their policy covers us all around the world and at home. We purchased the life time policy for the both of us ($3500 I believe). It will also cover someone to pickup your RV and drive it home, ambulance rides, air evacuation. We figured that one ambulance ride from home to the closest hospital would be $3500.
We haven't had to use it so I can't tell you how good it is. I compared it to what FMCA has and it is basically the same coverage. We were not eligible to join FMCA when we purchased the policy through MASA because we didn't have a motorhome.
We have travelled all over world and we just let them know 2 weeks before we travel overseas and they confirm we are covered in that country.
8.1pwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #52

Quote:
Has anyone used this service? It is basically an insurance policy to return you and/or your RV home in case you are incapacitated. It certainly provides peace of mind, especially if your spouse does not drive the RV. I'm just curious if it worked as advertised when it was actually needed.
We have used the service twice, once with the hub on fire, broken bearing.
The second time, on the express lanes in Toronto. Same problem.different
axle. Both times, leaking grease an fire. Passing cars noticed, and pointed.
1st time under warranty.

We are totally pleased, would not travel without it. Good Sam took us both times to a Truck and Trailer repair place. We were back on the road the next
day.

2018 Nissan Titan, 2012 Sedona 5th wheel.
Titan2018 Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Having the travel assist may or may not be a good idea. I don't know, I don't have it.

But my question is; if it is mainly to help get your rig back home why not teach your wife or partner how to tow it? My husband has taught me to maintain or vehicles, change a flat tire and I know how to tow. I know how to connect the trailer along with the tear down of camp. My mom never learned how to do any of this so I guess I will have to ask her why.

Not trying to flame, but just asking a question.
Dealing with mechanical problems is a separate issue from medical emergencies. We use Coach Net for roadside assistance, but haven’t needed it.

When I had a medical emergency while traveling last year, being able to rely on SkyMed to take care of the details - they sent my husband the forms needed, the hospital helped with the paperwork. Once the forms were faxed back and SkyMed hired the air ambulance, pilots and two paramedics to fly to Calgary and bring us home. Given the fact that the Calgary hospital wanted to perform surgery before I left, and we had no idea what awaited me once I was admitted to my preferred hospital, there was no way my husband would have let me fly back home without him.

SkyMed hired a professional driver to bring our truck & trailer home.

The good thing about SkyMed is their service is available around the world & one does not need to be camping. The company also covered the ambulance rides (Canadian hospital to airport & U.S. airport to hospital)

Their care was fantastic, my husband’s stress level was reduced and he was treated with much care as he dealt with everything. After talking with them on the initial call, he knew whatever happened they would be there to help. I can’t say enough good things about them.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:34 PM   #54

That's great service! Travel Assist promises the same, I'm just wondering how they deliver. Annual fee is much less.
Andersen hitch
Old 12-13-2019, 11:15 PM   #55

"Rescue Insurance"

Quote:
Has anyone used this service? It is basically an insurance policy to return you and/or your RV home in case you are incapacitated. It certainly provides peace of mind, especially if your spouse does not drive the RV. I'm just curious if it worked as advertised when it was actually needed.

FMCA has FMCAssist insurance, and it's free with $75 annual membership.
J Autry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:40 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.1pwr View Post
My wife and I have medical evacuation through MASA. Their policy covers us all around the world and at home. We purchased the life time policy for the both of us ($3500 I believe). It will also cover someone to pickup your RV and drive it home, ambulance rides, air evacuation. We figured that one ambulance ride from home to the closest hospital would be $3500.
We haven't had to use it so I can't tell you how good it is. I compared it to what FMCA has and it is basically the same coverage. We were not eligible to join FMCA when we purchased the policy through MASA because we didn't have a motorhome.
We have travelled all over world and we just let them know 2 weeks before we travel overseas and they confirm we are covered in that country.

Can you provide more information On MASA? I googled it and it came up as an ingredient to make tamales. LOL

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:44 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilter3446 View Post
Dealing with mechanical problems is a separate issue from medical emergencies. We use Coach Net for roadside assistance, but haven’t needed it.

When I had a medical emergency while traveling last year, being able to rely on SkyMed to take care of the details - they sent my husband the forms needed, the hospital helped with the paperwork. Once the forms were faxed back and SkyMed hired the air ambulance, pilots and two paramedics to fly to Calgary and bring us home. Given the fact that the Calgary hospital wanted to perform surgery before I left, and we had no idea what awaited me once I was admitted to my preferred hospital, there was no way my husband would have let me fly back home without him.

SkyMed hired a professional driver to bring our truck & trailer home.

The good thing about SkyMed is their service is available around the world & one does not need to be camping. The company also covered the ambulance rides (Canadian hospital to airport & U.S. airport to hospital)

Their care was fantastic, my husband’s stress level was reduced and he was treated with much care as he dealt with everything. After talking with them on the initial call, he knew whatever happened they would be there to help. I can’t say enough good things about them.

Are you using CoachNet for Medical portion or SkyMed? With my health I should probably get something. So any info you can provide I would greatly appreciate it. Please and Thank you.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Autry View Post
FMCA has FMCAssist insurance, and it's free with $75 annual membership.
Thanks, good to know.
Andersen hitch
Old 12-14-2019, 10:24 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Can you provide more information On MASA? I googled it and it came up as an ingredient to make tamales. LOL
MASA is for Medical Air Services Association.
If you are going to look into MASA see if they still have veteran or civil service discount. 5 years ago I received the discount.
8.1pwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #60

Quote:
They cancelled my sister's coverage without even notifying her! They had to be towed two different times.
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam, travel