Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #1

Grey Wolf vs. Alpha Wolf

We are looking to purchase a travel trailer and like the layouts of the Alpha and Grey Wolf 26DBH. We are currently looking at a lightly used (2018 model) alpha wolf or a new grey wolf (a new alpha is out of our price range). Any advice? Can anyone explain the major differences between the two campers? Is the alpha wolf that much better than the grey wolf? Which would you go with?? Thanks for any advice!
pattinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #2

The main difference would be the construction of the outside skin and then interior upgrades. If the cost between the new camper and the used camper is small, and this is your first camper, I would suggest the new camper. This way you get all the warranties (peace of mind against additional costs and surprises), you will be the first owners (nothing funky was done to it) and possibly better/quicker resale when the kids get older and you want a camper without bunk beds. Just my thoughts having owned both new (2) and used (1) campers.
MichRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #3

It's my experience that pick a floor plan that you will most like given a particular length and weight specs all being equal then go with as new as you can get given your budget. Dont worry so much about all those names and such. You might as well know as time rolls on you are gonna be repairing things no matter if you buy the cheapest rig out there or a million dollar class A. The alpha may have a little more insulation properties but unless you are gonna be doing a bunch of camping during the winter at jackson hole it's not really gonna be that noticeable. What I say is if both units are of the same type material on the outside same hvac capacities exc....in other words you're comparing apples to apples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattinsoldier View Post
We are looking to purchase a travel trailer and like the layouts of the Alpha and Grey Wolf 26DBH. We are currently looking at a lightly used (2018 model) alpha wolf or a new grey wolf (a new alpha is out of our price range). Any advice? Can anyone explain the major differences between the two campers? Is the alpha wolf that much better than the grey wolf? Which would you go with?? Thanks for any advice!
fredoe61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:20 PM   #4

Thank you for the good advice. The difference in price will be about $4000, mainly because the used one comes with the hitch, hoses, and other necessary accessories. No small amount, but we could swing either purchase, although I wouldn't mind saving the money if all things are equal otherwise. The layouts look identical, and I have no idea if there are upgrades other than the insulation that was mentioned. It looks like the alpha is fiberglass while the grey is aluminum. Does that make a difference, other that appearance? Thanks again!
pattinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattinsoldier View Post
Thank you for the good advice. The difference in price will be about $4000, mainly because the used one comes with the hitch, hoses, and other necessary accessories. No small amount, but we could swing either purchase, although I wouldn't mind saving the money if all things are equal otherwise. The layouts look identical, and I have no idea if there are upgrades other than the insulation that was mentioned. It looks like the alpha is fiberglass while the grey is aluminum. Does that make a difference, other that appearance? Thanks again!
The Alpha has aluminum framing and filon siding, while the Grey Wolf has stick and tin construction(wood framing and aluminum siding).
If the two are similar floorplans, the Grey Wolf should be heavier since stick and tin is heavier.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:37 PM   #6
rfifer

We have a Grey Wolf. The floorplan between the two is virtually identical. It is my understanding that the interior quality for the Alpha Wolf is substantially nicer for cabinets and lighting and such. The exterior finish may also be different. But in terms of functional capability, I have not heard any difference between the two. There is something to be said for new versus used, however. We bought ours new and have had it for two years now. We have been fortunate not to have anything go wrong with the trailer itself except for the awning motor. But in terms of the trailer, it has been through severe rain storms with no leaks, very hot days with good AC, and cold nights with good heat. We have also added some modifications to make it "ours" which can be a little more challenging when buying used. And the warranty for the first year gives some peace of mind as well.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The Alpha has aluminum framing and filon siding, while the Grey Wolf has stick and tin construction(wood framing and aluminum siding).
If the two are similar floorplans, the Grey Wolf should be heavier since stick and tin is heavier.
I would never again own an aluminum exterior RV. Look at the damage that hail will do to aluminum. A neighbor had one too and the whole side was just pounded and flattened from hail. Fiberglass just doesn't dent.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:27 PM   #8

Many people recommend buying used on the theory the original owners have worked out the bugs and taken the original depreciation hit on the purchase. Just a thought, not a suggestion.

Edit: Those included accessories add value to your deal.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:38 PM   #9

My wife and I spent almost 2 years looking at all sorts of outfits. When we traveled we stopped and looked. We finally came across one we liked traveled 300 miles to look at it and it was what we agreed on.
We got it. Our Arctic wolf 23rd-l is what we went with.

Have fun looking and be safe
x-splicer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpha wolf, grey wolf