Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
All Around Hoser

Harbor Freight Predator 3500 Generator On Sale!

Now's your chance to pickup one of the best values around in a 3500 watt generator. The Harbor Freight Predator 3500 generator just went on sale for $799.99

Some of its robust features are:
  • ]11 Hour Runtime
  • Super Quiet @ 57db
  • Electric Start

I just purchased the Champion 3400 for $989.99. I liked it's built in duel fuel capability. Of course, after the fact I stumble across a showing how to add that mod to the Predator. Note that there are more than one videos for this conversion. Find one that matches your learning style.

Baja Fog Adventuring
2018 F-250 Lariat SC w/6.75L Diesel
BajaFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
Site Team

That generator is often on sale for $699.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaFog View Post
Now's your chance to pickup one of the best values around in a 3500 watt generator. The Harbor Freight Predator 3500 generator just went on sale for $799.99

Some of its robust features are:
  • ]11 Hour Runtime
  • Super Quiet @ 57db
  • Electric Start

I just purchased the Champion 3400 for $989.99. I liked it's built in duel fuel capability. Of course, after the fact I stumble across a showing how to add that mod to the Predator. Note that there are more than one videos for this conversion. Find one that matches your learning style.

I have the Champion 3500 w Inverter Dual Fuel and recently camped in a National forest campground with a dozen or more other Boondockers. Everyone was running their generators to make sure they had enough battery charge to last the cold nights.

One thing became very apparent with all the different generators, Honda's, Champions, and at least 3 Predators, the Predators were the loudest of the bunch. Definitely not as loud as an open frame generator but louder than my Champion and just a little louder than the small Honda's that were straining like heck at full speed.

I used a Smartphone "Sound Meter" app on my phone to actually see how much difference and found a full 5 db difference between the Predator and the 3500 watt (same engine as the 3400) Champion.

I don't think you should worry about getting the Champion, It's quieter

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #4

TitanMike, thank you for that. I live in the boondocks (pun intended) so it's not easy for me to go to stores to "test drive" generators. I ended up going with the Champion 3400 also, because I wanted dual fuel. I was VERY tempted to get the Predator at $699 (it was just there recently) but decided to spend a few extra bucks as you did and go with the Champion. You just made me feel a little better about my purchase. I had to mail order it, so I took a chance.

I've been happy with the Champion. It lets me fire up my A/C, even on propane, with no trouble at all.

The other one I was considering was the Westinghouse 4500 DF.

All the DF gennys are VERY hard to find right now.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
TitanMike, thank you for that. I live in the boondocks (pun intended) so it's not easy for me to go to stores to "test drive" generators. I ended up going with the Champion 3400 also, because I wanted dual fuel. I was VERY tempted to get the Predator at $699 (it was just there recently) but decided to spend a few extra bucks as you did and go with the Champion. You just made me feel a little better about my purchase. I had to mail order it, so I took a chance.

I've been happy with the Champion. It lets me fire up my A/C, even on propane, with no trouble at all.

The other one I was considering was the Westinghouse 4500 DF.

All the DF gennys are VERY hard to find right now.
Remember, if you purchase a gas only generator at $800 (rounded off), you then need to spend another $75 for the conversion kit (plus any small hardware store extra's that might come) then go through the process of converting. Price gap closes up when you consider this.

Also, with the Dual Fuel from the factory you have a tested unit and someone to take care of you if there are any warranty issues. On DIY conversions, YOU are Customer Service when things don't work as planned

Old 11-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #6

Dan knows of which he speaks.
https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons...3584-30265763/
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #7
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
I paid $599 a few years ago and we love it. I bought the Genny-GO and bumper reinforcement and the little Predator is sitting on the rack. I made up a very short power cord to go from the Predator to the power plug on the 5er. This arrangement is far superior to having the generator behind the 5th wheel hitch in the truck. We spent 2 weeks in the Montana mountains boondocking with my daughter and the generator never missed a beat. It drives the big AC, but if I turn both AC units on and it happens to fire up concurrently, it isn't strong enough to drive both. The biggest problem we had was remembering to shut it off it was so quiet. I'm a Predator fan. Replacing the entire Briggs motor on my pressure washer was less expensive than replacing the manifold on the Briggs and it was 1/2 HP stronger. My home generator is a Predator 6500 and it starts first pull every time as long as it has zero ethanol gas treated with Sta-Bil.
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:52 AM   #8

Harbor has had that price for some time now, so I would respectfully say it's not on sale but their normal price. I have been in the market for a deal on a 3500 watt generator for about 6 months now. Maybe Black Friday?
Jim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim CB View Post
Harbor has had that price for some time now, so I would respectfully say it's not on sale but their normal price. I have been in the market for a deal on a 3500 watt generator for about 6 months now. Maybe Black Friday?
https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons...3584-30265763/
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #10

Everything at Harbor Freight is always on sale or has a special coupon. That's just their business. If the price goes up, wait for the next set of coupons to come out. HF has many great products, but any of their inverter generators are not among them.
Honda is the gold standard, Champion is next, and then the rest. Yamaha used to be in there, but no longer. I would say Predator is near the bottom of choices.
If you only use a generator occasionally, then one of the cheaper ones might be perfect for you. My experience in our large group of boondockers is that while my two Honda EU2000is are around 14 years old, those that insist in buying the cheaper generators have had many generators in the same time period.
And since Hondas have internal fuel pumps, I don't have to rig up a pump or gravity system to run nurse tanks like the majority of the cheaper ones do.
If one of my 2000s ramps up due to prolonged demand, I just start the other one and guarantee the two combined will be less noise than a Champion 3xxxx running the same load.
End of rant.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:48 AM   #11
JCR

My predator has been excellent ..starts quickly and runs AC without ramping up too much.. My previous Champion was a nightmare ,but they do have a great customer service.Predator is a Honda clone so all is good.
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:23 AM   #12

Thank you Mike, you teased me with that coupon. Unfortunately it expired 5 months ago but will be on the lookout for it to come up again.
Jim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #13
waybeck2018

I have owned a Predator for three years. Hard to start if sitting up a while but after 8-10 pulls it cranks and runs fine. Waiting for the right proce to go up to the 3500

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
I have owned a Predator for three years. Hard to start if sitting up a while but after 8-10 pulls it cranks and runs fine. Waiting for the right proce to go up to the 3500
Have you tried draining fuel tank and running until carb bowl goes dry (or opening drain screw on bottom of carb if it has one)?

I've found that equipment that sits for some time often does what you describe but filling an empty system with fresh gasoline usually cures that.

When gasoline sits for any amount of time the lighter portion of the fuel can evaporate and it's this lighter component that helps start an engine. Gasoline is comprised of hydrocarbons that have different boiling points, lighter ones evaporate easily and the heavier components need engine heat to vaporize. These are the ones that provide most of the power though.

When you pull the cord several times you are actually warming the combustion chamber, somewhat like a diesel engine, and eventually it will evaporate enough fuel to start. Provided you haven't over-choked and wet down the spark plug.

On my old hand-cranked generator I always shut off the fuel valve and just ran dry before storing. Ditto my lawnmower and both started on first or second pull when using again, even months later.

Just a suggestion.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #15
waybeck2018

[QUOTE=TitanMike;2466808]Have you tried draining fuel tank and running until carb bowl goes dry (or opening drain screw on bottom of carb if it has one)?
I've found that equipment that sits for some time often does what you describe but filling an empty system with fresh gasoline usually cures that.
When you pull the cord several times you are actually warming the combustion chamber, somewhat like a diesel engine, and eventually it will evaporate enough fuel to start. Provided you haven't over-choked and wet down the spark plug.

Mike, your response makes perfect sense. My use of the generator is infrequent but I do start it every 2 months or more often, run it under a load for a half hour. I bought it mainly as a back up during power loss from frequent tornado and hurricane events here. Thus the infrequent use. Thanks for the recommendation. I will say that after I pull several times, walk away and come back in 10-15 minutes it usually starts on 2-3 pulls.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500, generator