Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #41

Quote:
I am a mechanic and 90% of my stuff is pittsburgh... the open end wrenches and sockets from HF are better quality than my snap on sets... i have replaced 1/2 of my snap on impact socket sets 2x over, but the color coded set from hf is still going strong, and thats with constant use on my snap on air impacts....
I am NOT a mechanic but I do a fair amount of wrenching over the years and have used HF hand tools a bunch... they have held up to much abuse. I have $10 breaker bars and lug nut sockets in all my vehicles.

Now the electrics, I have had a few failures, like the 4 inch grinders but always thought I got my money's worth as I knew going in they were cheaply made. I did get their metal brake and shear and their cheap power hack saw and have had good use out of them for 15 years now.

Have used many tarps, bungies, blasting media, lots of different towing bars and balls and lights that were not easily found or cheaply shipped over the years.

I did not join the club or get their credit card... I might have 20 years ago, but not buying that much anymore... I need to start shedding stuff not gathering more.

I like the Ryobi line of power tools at HomeDepot much better then the HF versions.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
Old 09-06-2021, 11:11 AM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
And that might be a good thing. The best thing about craftsman was their no questions return/replace policy. I don't know how many knuckles I busted when a craftsman wrench or socket broke
I've had pretty good luck with my Craftsman tools over the years. I think I've only broken 1 socket and had to repair/replace a couple of socket wrenches. One of them was probably older than me.

I did just break a couple of Kobalt torx sockets though.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:33 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
It's unlikely that they bear much resemblance to the Craftsman tools we reminisce about, other than the brand name engraved on them.

The Craftsman "lifetime warranty" is pretty much useless now. I have a 3/8" Craftsman ratchet that quit on me and when I called Craftsman to get it replaced they told me that particular model was no longer available. I said Ok, I'm not fussy, any 3/8" ratchet will do. Sorry, we don't have any 3/8" ratchets, and don't know if we will be getting any back in stock.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Old 09-06-2021, 11:42 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I think HF is like every other store right now, trying to stay afloat. We only have one HF in our area and I have pretty much stopped going to the physical store as they seem to always be out of the items I am looking for. Everyone is having problems getting stock and what they do have is higher priced now. Even our three Walmarts have stocking problems and empty shelf slots.
So now I try to plan ahead and order most project stuff online from Walmart, and Amazon.

Same here. I find that sometimes HD has lower price than either of those, delivery may take an extra day than Amazon though.
Oddly enough I once found Maxxis tires at HD.com, cheaper than Discount Tire or Amazon. Discount Tire price matched.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:43 AM   #45

Lowes replaced their Kobalt brand with Craftsman.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
The Craftsman "lifetime warranty" is pretty much useless now. I have a 3/8" Craftsman ratchet that quit on me and when I called Craftsman to get it replaced they told me that particular model was no longer available. I said Ok, I'm not fussy, any 3/8" ratchet will do. Sorry, we don't have any 3/8" ratchets, and don't know if we will be getting any back in stock.
You should be able to go into any store that carries them. I replaced mine at Lowe's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergiop View Post
They carry both.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergiop View Post
I think they were contemplating doing that around 2018-19, but my Lowes store still has plenty of Kobalt tools and Kobalt just introduced several new power tool lines. So I think the rumour of Kobalts demise is just that... rumours
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 09-06-2021, 12:12 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Sears got bought by Kmart and then they went bankrupt. You can find craftsman at most of the big box stores now. I just saw a bunch at my local Farm and Fleet.
Craftsman belongs to Stanley/Black and Decker as does Dewalt, Proto, Mac, Blackhawk, Porter Cable, Bostich and a bunch more.
So they could show up anywhere. They are selling wrenches, sockets and other hand tools under the Dewalt label, are they Craftsman or Proto?
Old 09-06-2021, 12:27 PM   #49

Browsing Amazon, I found the HF item. The same item, but newer model with improved power. HF $25, HF sale price $20, Amazon regular price $15. And for me it’s not the price that is even the most important thing, it’s that HF ruined what used to be a fun experience that made it worth the trip.

Amazon continues to kill retail outlets and can still afford rockets to space. Why bother driving to a HF or any store when you can save time, gas, hassle of waiting in lines and get a better price online - unless the experience is fun and unique? Sad but true IMO
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Old 09-06-2021, 12:36 PM   #50

Quote:
Browsing Amazon, I found the HF item. The same item, but newer model with improved power. HF $25, HF sale price $20, Amazon regular price $15.
I use amazon all the time as I cannot often times find the item at retail no matter where I look...

What item are you referring to, if you don't mind sharing?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
Old 09-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #51
Paul & Dianne

I have just been deleting all of the Labor Day HF emails, as I'm not in the market for anything just now. Well, except maybe a generator or two... big electric start one for the house, small 2000W for the 5er. We still use HF, store about two miles from me and they've always been OK.

Remodeled the kitchen last spring and got an air hammer there to rip up the old tile and then a tile saw to put down the new. Both for minimal dollars... I spent more in blades than the saw cost! Not a great saw, but I did 450 sq ft of porcelain floor tile and then, god help me, about 50 sq ft of glass wall tile. Never again for either, so not like I needed a great good tile saw.

I have an HF oscillating saw and recip saw, those are years old and are still working. HF has its place, and as has been said... Craftsman isn't what we remember, either. Mostly, I can't afford Ryobi, Bosch, Makita, Skil, et al for a couple of times home use. Wish I could! Hell, my "table saw" when I need it is a 7-1/4 circular saw clamped upside down in my 20 year old B&W Workmate!
Old 09-06-2021, 09:11 PM   #52

It's bad enough that things change, but when it affects our tools, it's really tough.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Old 09-07-2021, 06:47 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themipster View Post
I've noticed within the last months that Harbor Freight has changed their marketing strategy by switching to "upgraded" brands which I won't name here, but they are obviously attempting to complete outside of their original "niche" of reverse engineered" tools, and are testing the waters to actually sell tools that don't have that reputation of disposable. But considering they are using nock-offs to complete with name brands, I'm not so sure it will succeed. They appear to be entering the "let's compete with the big box stores" that is questionable.
I'm finding many "name" brands are downgrading to the same Chinese manufacturers. There are certain tools I will buy from HF because they aren't bad for light use and others they just can't seem to even hold up to light duty.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:06 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Why bother driving to a HF or any store when you can save time, gas, hassle of waiting in lines and get a better price online
That's always been my thought. I even order a lot of my groceries online now. Saves a ton of time.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #55
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Browsing Amazon, I found the HF item. The same item, but newer model with improved power. HF $25, HF sale price $20, Amazon regular price $15. And for me it’s not the price that is even the most important thing, it’s that HF ruined what used to be a fun experience that made it worth the trip.

Amazon continues to kill retail outlets and can still afford rockets to space. Why bother driving to a HF or any store when you can save time, gas, hassle of waiting in lines and get a better price online - unless the experience is fun and unique? Sad but true IMO
Exactly! I refuse to line Bezos' pockets. If you don't invest in your community you will cease to have a community.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 09-07-2021, 02:29 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Not if they were losing money on them.
true, but are empty stores caused by no coupons also losing money?
Old 09-07-2021, 02:47 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Exactly! I refuse to line Bezos' pockets. If you don't invest in your community you will cease to have a community.
Also why I've avoided HF. I try to buy US made where I can, although it's near impossible now. When HF started opening stores around here years ago, it was easy to decide not to go there. I had other options. Now....since everything is off shored, it doesn't appear to matter anymore.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyCorp View Post
Also why I've avoided HF. I try to buy US made where I can, although it's near impossible now. When HF started opening stores around here years ago, it was easy to decide not to go there. I had other options. Now....since everything is off shored, it doesn't appear to matter anymore.
Exactly. It is a global market. Even in farming our prices depend on what other countries buy and don't buy. I would love to only buy American Made, but it really doesn't exist anymore, nor should it. I will buy from local Mom and Pop shops when I can, but only if it doesn't hurt my pocketbook too much.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 09-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #59

Crap

Harbor Freight has always sold crap from China. You get what you pay for. One hand we say, buy America. But we do not want to pay the price, so we finance the sweat shops in China.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:45 PM   #60

Harbor Fright

Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54B529A4-CE6A-4CF7-8785-E09578EA79BD.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	262574  
Closed Thread