Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 05:57 PM   #1

Harbor freight really has jumped the shark

Stopped by harbor freight today. They emailed me about a huge Labor Day sale, and had a huge sign for the same in the parking lot. I went for one item I have wanted and that was on sale when I checked earlier this week. I got there and the item was not on sale and I couldn’t find any harbor freight coupons.

I asked store personnel that stated there we no more coupons, just more sale prices. I explained that the coupon is helpful when the item you want doesn’t have a sale price. Blank stare. I explained my situation and asked what he could do to help. Blank stare. I stated that harbor freight just lost a customer. Blank stare. I shouted to my son 20 feet away, “let’s go, they don’t hav good deals here anymore.” Blank stares.

I went to Lowe’s and found a better version of what I wanted at a better price.

I won’t be going back to harbor freight.

Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Old 09-04-2021, 07:15 PM   #2

I have an app HFcoupons it is free in the app store. Has lots of coupons including the free ones. Updates every month or so.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
Old 09-04-2021, 07:35 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Stopped by harbor freight today. They emailed me about a huge Labor Day sale, and had a huge sign for the same in the parking lot. I went for one item I have wanted and that was on sale when I checked earlier this week. I got there and the item was not on sale and I couldn’t find any harbor freight coupons.

I asked store personnel that stated there we no more coupons, just more sale prices. I explained that the coupon is helpful when the item you want doesn’t have a sale price. Blank stare. I explained my situation and asked what he could do to help. Blank stare. I stated that harbor freight just lost a customer. Blank stare. I shouted to my son 20 feet away, “let’s go, they don’t hav good deals here anymore.” Blank stares.

I went to Lowe’s and found a better version of what I wanted at a better price.

I won’t be going back to harbor freight.

The funniest part of this is you seemed to expect more than a blank stare from a minimum wage worker! I haven't been to Harbor Freight in years.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #4

They haven't offered the 20% coupon for some time now.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:59 PM   #5

Yup, since March. They announced in January or February that the 20% coupons were going away in March, as well as all the little freebie coupons.
I've only seen coupons associated with their club thing and their credit card offer.
I still go there though because they have advertised items on discount in their mailers. I'm a big fan of their $14 top feed paint spray guns. Air hoses too.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:03 PM   #6

Quote:
removed by site team
I would be willing to bet the vast majority of forest river products owned by members of this forum have at least one product from harbor freight in them that was purchased by the RV owner for their rig. Plus the original thread which is now past the reply stage had quite a bit of activity. I will admit this thread is no “keep a word, change a word” but would say this thread is relevant to the forum.

Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Old 09-04-2021, 09:16 PM   #7

Quote:
I would be willing to bet the vast majority of forest river products owned by members of this forum
Yup....count me in..Harbor Freight has saved my bacon more than once...
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
Old 09-04-2021, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
I would be willing to bet the vast majority of forest river products owned by members of this forum have at least one product from harbor freight in them that was purchased by the RV owner for their rig.
Yes, I have their wheel chocks, solar panels, and 2 generators. Bought them all last year with the coupons.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
removed by site team
This Forum is not here just for FR products. It's primarily for owners of FR products but we have many here who don't own FR products and they are welcome to be members.
And many here, including me, buy things from HF for our RVs or for camping.
And the OP posted this thread in the Dollars and Cents sub-forum, which is the perfect place for the topic.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 09-05-2021, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Yes, I have their wheel chocks, solar panels, and 2 generators. Bought them all last year with the coupons.
How have the solar panels worked for you? I debated between them and realgy from Amazon.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LT View Post
Yup, since March. They announced in January or February that the 20% coupons were going away in March, as well as all the little freebie coupons.
I've only seen coupons associated with their club thing and their credit card offer.
I still go there though because they have advertised items on discount in their mailers. I'm a big fan of their $14 top feed paint spray guns. Air hoses too.
It is what it is. The economy has changed from what it was 7 months ago. Prices have increased and your dollar is worth less. The OP was looking for "a deal", but none was to be had. Sometimes this happens. You can't win all the time. The OP exercised the free market and found a better deal. If I blacklisted every store that I couldn't get a deal on a certain purchase, I'd have nowhere to shop.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 09-05-2021, 10:50 AM   #12

HB the china store deals are not always good deals . the old saying you get what you pay for . you want cheap throw away products to get by then HB may be for you . their prices are not all that great for a lot of items . the one time use tools that you need for that project then great . But if i want something of quality that will last with use then i shop else where .
Old 09-05-2021, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Ww View Post
How have the solar panels worked for you? I debated between them and realgy from Amazon.
They’ve worked very well for me, but I’m not one of the “technical” users that you’ll find here. I’m not using any battery monitoring device other than the solar charge controller that came with the panels, or a multimeter.
I have the 100 watt 4 panel set, and when boondocking, I’ll use the battery power sparingly, but as needed. I have a single 105 ah Group 31 battery. I’ve gotten by just fine for 3 or 4 days at a time by setting the panels out in the morning and moving them to follow the sun throughout the day. Of course, if it’s cold and I have to run the furnace some, I’ll need to fire up one of the Predator generators for a little while.
It’s worth comparing prices, because when I bought my panels, they were considerably cheaper than they are currently.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #14

Quote:
I will admit this thread is no “keep a word, change a word” but would say this thread is relevant to the forum.
The “keep a word; change a word” thread is very relative to this forum as it is in the “Off Topic” sub-forum — right where it belongs.

Bruce
Old 09-05-2021, 01:25 PM   #15
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
HB the china store deals are not always good deals . the old saying you get what you pay for . you want cheap throw away products to get by then HB may be for you . their prices are not all that great for a lot of items . the one time use tools that you need for that project then great . But if i want something of quality that will last with use then i shop else where .
I used to think the same thing, but you buy the quality tool for that one project, use it, then it sits on the shelf in the garage and you never use it again. Sooner or later it becomes yard sale material and you wind up getting pennies on the dollar for it.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 09-05-2021, 01:39 PM   #16

HF has it's place... often the only store around for the tool that you need for that afternoon project. I cannot afford a DeWalt or a Milwaukee for every tool that I use maybe once or twice or maybe even for a full project.

You used to have a Craftsmen or Sears store around that had a lot of tools, but have not seen any of those for 10 years. My local ACE Hardware alwys seems to be out of what I am looking for.

Yep I miss the 20% OFF coupons...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
Old 09-05-2021, 01:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I used to think the same thing, but you buy the quality tool for that one project, use it, then it sits on the shelf in the garage and you never use it again. Sooner or later it becomes yard sale material and you wind up getting pennies on the dollar for it.
That's why i mention if you want a through away . ie one use for that one project then HF is great . but if you need quality for continued use then best get else where . they do have some items with lifetime warranties that are worth it . like my 1/2 drive toque wrench lifetime warranty all ready replaced it once . just grab another off the shelf . But over all cheap products.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #18

1BLT, Better hurry in to HF. Your $14.99 spray gun is on sale for $12.99.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:03 PM   #19

Quote:
removed by site team
Doesn't FB also have a chronic malcontent section?

Well over a dozen responses and no one else is crying about it.

The old adage that read if you don't like the channel switch the channel applies to the internet also.

Sorry everyone else. But this crap is uncalled for.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:13 PM   #20
Site Team

I have a 15 year old HF compressor. It's been great all that time. I'd buy it again if I had it to do over.
The pressure switch diaphragm blew out last year but found an exact replacement on Ebay for a few bucks.

I have a HF breaker bar with rubber grip that I use for my WD hitch bars. Money well spent.
Same for the set of impact lug nut sockets I've used for years.
Their gold drill bits are OK quality.
The mechanics gloves work well for me. I use a pair all summer pulling weeds and the finger tips do not wear thru.

They're not Craftsman but hey Craftsman isn't Craftsman any more either....
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Closed Thread