Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2020, 07:28 AM   #21
Member: Old Man Club

I live in Illinois and bought my new trailer in Wisconsin. My dealer took care of all that stuff for me. I didn't have to do anything but sign on the dotted line.

2016 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 4x4
2021 Palomino Puma 27RLSS
RockDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:04 AM   #22
Site Team

You might try calling a Tag & Title service. Some of them have access to the state system and can get it done. They will charge for it, but it might get done and ease your mind.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #23

Open up an llc in montana and pay no sal s tax. Have a montana plate
msbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottaluvlife View Post
We bought our RV in Ohio during Covid. Motor Vehicle is still closed to just walk-in. To transfer plates from previous RV and register new RV, form DTF-802 is required and must be done online only.
Tried many times to call DMV, but each time the hold is long, the system is down, get transferred, hung up on, etc.etc.etc.
VERY FRUSTRATING!!
Has anyone had recent experience registering and paying tax on purchase of their RV in New York?
Anyone familiar with this form?
We traded in our previous RV, so I am assuming we would only pay tax on the difference, but still not sure what the correct payment would be.
Hoping someone can help!!
Unfortunately the only way to change the residency of a motor vehicle / camper / or anything in NY state is to make an appointment for the DMV. We just sold a vehicle to my brother in law, he made an appointment, went there with the proper paperwork, receipts and such, DMV will give you the proper form when you get there and you can fill it out as you wait. Make sure you have a way to pay for the registration and taxes, credit card and checks are accepted.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbaker View Post
Open up an llc in montana and pay no sal s tax. Have a montana plate
States are cracking down on that scam.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:04 AM   #26

Similar for me too!

At the time, July 2020, we lived in WA state, bought our rig in Oregon, paid no taxes there, and got a 10 day temp. tag to get us back to WA, where we would register/title it.

A week or so after purchase had to go to the tag office in our home town in WA. paid over $3000.00+ for the WA taxes and of course registration. Then we moved to Florida in October.

Went to tag office in FL. they wanted to charge me over $2000.00+ for taxes because the sales documents for the rig showed no taxes were paid at purchase. All I had was a typical sales receipt which showed paying over $3K, but it had no specific details of the rig (i.e. VIN, model, etc.)

Had to go home, called the tag office I dealt with in WA state, they informed me that the item identified on the registration identified as Tax Usage, was the tax I paid in WA.

I didn't see it at first, and nor did the lady at the FL tag office. After three trips back to FL tag office I finally got my new FL tags! It was a pain, but its finally done!

Good luck!!
Silverado333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #27

NYS DMV has been chaotic since March 2020 due to corona virus. That said, I recommend you contact your Ohio RV dealer for help in getting your new RV registered in NY. This would include paying sales tax on the net value of your purchase after trade-in value is deducted. ONLY A DEALER CAN DO THIS (I learned this from personal bad experience). If you personally register you may expect to pay sales tax on the full value of your new RV.

As an aside, a friend in Saratoga registers his RV and other towables in Maine, but keeps them in NY for use on the seasonal basis. Just an idea. Also, I know people from Quebec and Ontario who bought RV's in NY and keep them registered here and stored when not used. They tell me Canadian tax on an RV is at "luxury level" as an RV is not a necessity. Ironically, NYS vehicle sales tax was far less (even up to 8%) than any provincial or federal tax.
Tim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:04 AM   #28

Link to form DTF-802

I believe NYS requires you to pay tax on only the difference. Here a link to the form:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/st/dtf802.pdf
deciccocpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #29

There are a lot of vehicles running around Reno with expired temporary tags, covid has excused those who don't or won't register. Wait until things open up and return to normal after the vaccine has a chance to take effect.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by deciccocpa View Post
I believe NYS requires you to pay tax on only the difference. Here a link to the form:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/st/dtf802.pdf
Your correct. Your contract should have what you camper cost is minus your trade in and that what you will pay in taxes. Plus registration which is based on the weight , new plates. Have fun.
Sam the old guy is offline   Reply With Quote