Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2020, 03:27 PM   #1

Help! Want to register pay taxes in NY

We bought our RV in Ohio during Covid. Motor Vehicle is still closed to just walk-in. To transfer plates from previous RV and register new RV, form DTF-802 is required and must be done online only.
Tried many times to call DMV, but each time the hold is long, the system is down, get transferred, hung up on, etc.etc.etc.
VERY FRUSTRATING!!
Has anyone had recent experience registering and paying tax on purchase of their RV in New York?
Anyone familiar with this form?
We traded in our previous RV, so I am assuming we would only pay tax on the difference, but still not sure what the correct payment would be.
Hoping someone can help!!
Gottaluvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #2

In Virginia you pay tax on the entire new vehicle or RV cost, does not matter what the difference in trade is.

I would read New York DMV web site closely. Maybe a New York RV dealer could help.

Good Luck

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #3

I live in Missouri and bought my motor home in New York. All I can say about that transaction is Wilkins RV in Bath, NY was fantastic handling all of the forms and communication with Missouri DMV. Mine experience went fantastic, they handled everything they could from their end.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottaluvlife View Post
We bought our RV in Ohio during Covid. Motor Vehicle is still closed to just walk-in. To transfer plates from previous RV and register new RV, form DTF-802 is required and must be done online only.
Tried many times to call DMV, but each time the hold is long, the system is down, get transferred, hung up on, etc.etc.etc.
VERY FRUSTRATING!!
Has anyone had recent experience registering and paying tax on purchase of their RV in New York?
Anyone familiar with this form?
We traded in our previous RV, so I am assuming we would only pay tax on the difference, but still not sure what the correct payment would be.
Hoping someone can help!!
Maybe just wait until they're open again?

Our DMVs have been shut down a few times and they say they'll just waive fees/extend deadlines of expired plates and licenses.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #5

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/st/dtf802.pdf

See Part 5 on the back, your trade in goes there.

-- Chuck
Old 12-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
In Virginia you pay tax on the entire new vehicle or RV cost, does not matter what the difference in trade is.

I would read New York DMV web site closely. Maybe a New York RV dealer could help.

Good Luck

Wow, that's tough (like most tax things)!

Washington is the same as what the OP described for NY. If you trade in a Washington registered vehicle, it is presumed that you paid sales tax on the value of that vehicle.

So, if you trade in a car worth $20k on a car selling for $30k, you would only (ha!) have to pay sales tax on the $10k difference.

Then again, that sales tax in VA is apparently fixed at 4.15%, while the tax in WA (after reducing for the value of the trade) is 6.8%. For a $30k car in VA, that would work out to $1,245 in sales tax. In WA, paying 6.8% on the difference would be $680. We save a little if we have a trade in, but pay a lot more if we don't.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/st/dtf802.pdf

See Part 5 on the back, your trade in goes there.

-- Chuck
Ahh!! Thanks! See that now, so just need to figure correct tax & how to pay!
Old 12-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Our DMVs have been shut down a few times and they say they'll just waive fees/extend deadlines of expired plates and licenses.
Just might have to wait til DMV is fully open. Figuring out the total tax due, plus reg fee, transfer fee, etc. is not as easy as I thought it should be & forget about getting someone on the phone to help!
Old 12-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:

this has happened in KY also...

wait and get it done when they open up...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #10

NY tax

Unfortunately, you will pay the tax on the full purchase price. NY doesn’t let a dime slip by if they can help it
Littletime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #11

You are correct, it is a pain. We checked on line and supposedly, the local DMV was doing veh registration and transfers. The nearest office was 30 mi.
When we got there, it was a one-man show. No, all vehicle work is done on-line.

We purchased a new truck in Illinois and had it delivered to Wisconsin. The dealer gave us the option of doing our own license/title paperwork. We had some cash back figures that we were uncertain if taxable. We called the dealer and determined what figure to use.

We filled out the form on-line and printed a copy. It was mailed with a copy of bill of sale along with a letter to the Wisconsin DMV. The letter stated how we derived at the taxable figure and a GVW error from the previous truck, asking it be corrected for the new vehicle.

It was smooth excerpt the registration card was slow coming. When the temp use permit was expiring, I called the state police. They said the plate transfer had been updated within a few days of our mailing. Had we known, we could have put the plates on.

When we received the license renewal, the GVW had not been corrected. As the DMV local office and the main DMV both classed it in the lower GVW catagory, I will let it ride. Apparently, they are deriving class by a different source. I have the the docs to show I brought up the issue.

I would assume that NY has a similar process.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #12

I'm in NY too and bought my brand new TT in Iowa this past summer. Have found the same issue as you so I talked with my brother the Policeman (lieutenant). New registrations, inspections, driver license renewals, etc. have all been delayed due to the DMV being closed due to Covid. The police are all well aware of this and are cutting everyone slack. You need to be able to prove ownership and in the case of autos, insurance. If you, like me, have another trailer (Boat, Utility, TT, etc.) and plan to travel, borrow the plate. This way there are no issues with EZPass and tolls.
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #13

OK. I'm new at this & first post. I too bought my MH (SOB) Ohio and went though the same thing. Get an envelope & including your bill of sale (copy), the DTF-802 title, place you have the loan from. ALSO include a "blank check or credit card info". Seal up and put it in a Dropbox at the DMV. In about 6 weeks you will receive your new plates, registration etc. Than you will need to get your N.Y.State inspection.
Sam the old guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #14

Blank Check

I too am a New Yorker who purchased in Ohio earlier this year. The dealer collected sales tax at my rate and sent me a check a couple weeks later to pay the tax in New York. DMV was closed but I got to talk to someone about registering the trailer. They advised me to fill out all of the forms necessary and include a blank check and then put everything in their drop box outside the DMV office. A day later I got a call to come and pick up my new plate. In my opinion, you should only have to pay sales tax on what you paid for the trailer after the trade-in. Good luck!
davidsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the old guy View Post
OK. I'm new at this & first post. I too bought my MH (SOB) Ohio and went though the same thing. Get an envelope & including your bill of sale (copy), the DTF-802 title, place you have the loan from. ALSO include a "blank check or credit card info". Seal up and put it in a Dropbox at the DMV. In about 6 weeks you will receive your new plates, registration etc. Than you will need to get your N.Y.State inspection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsr View Post
I too am a New Yorker who purchased in Ohio earlier this year. The dealer collected sales tax at my rate and sent me a check a couple weeks later to pay the tax in New York. DMV was closed but I got to talk to someone about registering the trailer. They advised me to fill out all of the forms necessary and include a blank check and then put everything in their drop box outside the DMV office. A day later I got a call to come and pick up my new plate. In my opinion, you should only have to pay sales tax on what you paid for the trailer after the trade-in. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum as I see it is you folks 1st and 2nd posts

Are you really saying put a title, blank check or your credit card information in an envelope that you are going to seal and put in a drop box where you have no clue what is going to happen to it or whose hands it will pass through? Is this drop box secure?

Apparently it worked but that's advice I'd be questioning. (and I am)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #16

If you are getting long hold times or no answer to from a DMV in NYS try a different county. St. Lawrence County is very responsive and handles stuff from all over the state. If you call them, it can probably be done by mail. In any event, do it through the local county DMV office. That way they get a percentage of the transaction to keep them open. If you do it by mailing it to the state, NY keeps it all. Do not use the envelope provided by the NYS DMV unless you cross out the bar code.
RStormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Welcome to the forum as I see it is you folks 1st and 2nd posts

Are you really saying put a title, blank check or your credit card information in an envelope that you are going to seal and put in a drop box where you have no clue what is going to happen to it or whose hands it will pass through? Is this drop box secure?

Apparently it worked but that's advice I'd be questioning. (and I am)

I was a bit hesitant too but I really wanted to get my rig registered. I waited 5 months and was planning trips. My temporary tag was 4 months expired and didn’t feel like dealing with questions if I got pulled over even if expirations were extended. And yup, I put the Ohio title, a blank check and the needed paperwork in an envelope and dropped it in the box. All went well. I even got a check from the DMV because I put the wrong amount paid on the paperwork.
davidsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:21 PM   #18

I think what I would do is either send them your credit info. or your telephone number and have them call you for the exact amount you owe. Than write a check for that amount. That what I did.
Sam the old guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:07 PM   #19

I'm in no rush to pay NYS DMV. And the new plate couldn't be uglier! Excelsior couldn't be lamer, and I'm a Stan Lee fan (Stan Lee used Excelsior as his motto), it's Latin for Ever Upward. Maybe using Pig-Latin would have been more apropos, excelsioryay idiotsyay!
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
I'm in no rush to pay NYS DMV. And the new plate couldn't be uglier! Excelsior couldn't be lamer, and I'm a Stan Lee fan (Stan Lee used Excelsior as his motto), it's Latin for Ever Upward. Maybe using Pig-Latin would have been more apropos, excelsioryay idiotsyay!
Hold out for this one. I love y’all’s state flag.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8011.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	244088
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote