Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2024, 04:08 PM   #21
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I really like that RV. As long as its not built in Elkhart, Indiana, there is hope.

One issue is the heavy reliance on electricity that solar alone can leave you in a bad situation.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
It probably is crazy to buy a new RV, and always has been.

I should be ordering my 3rd new RV this week Will no longer be an SOB, at least for awhile.
We have owned 4 RVs and purchased all 4 of them new. Our current one coming up on 7 years old and I'm starting to get the itch for another new one. Look everybody get's to choose how they are going to spend thier money and there are two simple truths when it comes to money. Very few people have enough money to buy anything they want any time they want and the second thing is that you can't take it with you when it's your time to leave Earth for your final destination. Have fun because it's more fun than not having fun.
BPFox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
I follow Steve Lehto Esq. on YouTube. He just put out a video on why you have to be insane to buy a (new) RV. The purchase agreements and warranties are disproportionally stacked in favor of the seller and manufacturer.

He references a current court case where the buyer of an RV bought an RV and signed a purchase order which effectively let Camping World off the hook for delivering a defective RV and agreed to move his lawsuit against Thor to Indiana and under Indiana laws.

Indiana, being the capital of the RV industry, probably has laws that are more protective of the RV manufacturer than the laws in the State where the purchaser bought their RV.

If contemplating buying an RV, you should probably watch this video first. When paying big sums of money, It may be a good idea to have an attorney read the legalize and explain it to you in real terms.

some things in life are almost common sense these days.. not buying a new rv or a watercraft would be a few of those things. Buy 2 years old, after the 1st buyer fixed all of the manufacturing errors on their dime.
thatdonnyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 08:21 PM   #24

The best thing to do is not buy from Camping World in the first place. They are notorious for not standing behind their stuff. When we bought our 2005 Cedar Creek, we got a one year manufacturer warranty and the dealer added another year on to it. We only had to take it back for one thing. To vent the microwave.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdonnyguy View Post
some things in life are almost common sense these days.. not buying a new rv or a watercraft would be a few of those things. Buy 2 years old, after the 1st buyer fixed all of the manufacturing errors on their dime.
Or buying the reoccurring problem the seller can't get fixed and does not disclose. That door swings both ways...

That said, I purposefully bought new because I wanted to be (very close to being guaranteed that I was) the first to have sex in it. Who's crazy now?
Old 02-09-2024, 02:30 PM   #26

Why You Must Be Insane to Buy a New RV

I just finished watching Steve Lehto's Youtube video posted by PhilFromMaine. Thank you Phil! I wish I had know all of this before buying my new RV back in 2022. It's true that the dealers throw a bunch of paperwork in front of you and ask you to sign their purchase agreement. But does anyone really take the time to read the entire document, and actually understand the ramifications of signing such a document without legal representation? Honestly, who would bring a lawyer with you when you're looking to purchase an RV? So this is really, really good information to know. I am in such a boat, having taken ownership of a brand new RV with all sorts of problems. Fortunately, Forest River took it back to their repair center at the factory in Indiana to fix it. But legally, we RV consumers don't have a leg to stand on. I would be SOL if I decided to file a lawsuit against the dealership for selling me a sub-standard unit. It's a very sad commentary on the RV Industry in general, and how these dealerships cover their own asses at the consumer's expense!
Rob0702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 03:15 PM   #27

Nearly all (maybe all) new car dealerships are franchises associated with one or more manufacturers. The franchisor licenses the use of the trade-mark and business model to the franchisee -- AKA, the dealer. The franchisor (Ford or GM for example) has a vested interest in preserving their brand -- their name is on the building! -- and consequentially has procedures in place to protect the brand. This is how franchises work and why your Big Mac Meal is the same at every Micky Dee's.

RVs dealers don't work this way. The video covers all the caveats. Most problems seem to be the result of improper inadequate inspection of the product before purchase from an independent "store." And not reading the purchase contract. As far as an RV dealer is concerned every sale is "as is" and the paperwork shown in the video confirms this.

Camping World has ~180 stores in the USA. Ford has ~3000+.

-- Chuck
Old 02-09-2024, 10:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
So what's the warranty going to be on this one?
(YouTube video)
https://acfuture.com/
That seems like little more than some marketing person's dream, as created by somebody with a CAD system.

I'm not anti-EV but, if that's an EV, what's the range? 20 miles?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW_DX3 View Post
Or buying the reoccurring problem the seller can't get fixed and does not disclose. ...
Or the hidden water leak damage the seller doesn't even know about.

Yes, you may get a good deal on an RV in very good condition, but there's a reason they depreciate rapidly.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:30 AM   #30

The Door Swings Both Ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW_DX3 View Post
Or buying the reoccurring problem the seller can't get fixed and does not disclose. That door swings both ways...

That said, I purposefully bought new because I wanted to be (very close to being guaranteed that I was) the first to have sex in it. Who's crazy now?

Hows' THAT working out for you?
Old 02-10-2024, 11:32 AM   #31

[QUOTE=Chuck_S;2925039]Nearly all (maybe all) new car dealerships are franchises associated with one or more manufacturers. The franchisor licenses the use of the trade-mark and business model to the franchisee -- AKA, the dealer. The franchisor (Ford or GM for example) has a vested interest in preserving their brand -- their name is on the building! -- and consequentially has procedures in place to protect the brand. This is how franchises work and why your Big Mac Meal is the same at every Micky Dee's.

RVs dealers don't work this way. The video covers all the caveats. Most problems seem to be the result of improper inadequate inspection of the product before purchase from an independent "store." And not reading the purchase contract. As far as an RV dealer is concerned every sale is "as is" and the paperwork shown in the video confirms this.

Camping World has ~180 stores in the USA. Ford has ~3000+.

-- Chuck

The auto industry still warranties their engines and drive trains, right? So I don't understand why Chrysler didn't honor that for the guy Steve was talking about on the video. It was a brand new unit.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:46 PM   #32
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob0702
Hows' THAT working out for you?
So far very well. I wrote up EVERYTHING during the first year, even screws I found that were stripped. I kept on the dealer and refused to accept their BS of me dropping the motorhome off and leaving it for them to work on when they had time.

Then they had a bunch of catalytic converters stolen and suddenly they were more agreeable to not keeping the motorhome overnight.

I provided step-by-step directions on how to duplicate a problem with pictures. Towards the end of the warranty they arranged for the motorhome to go back to the factory (at their expense) and the factory did a good job of not only fixing issues but also making some improvements.

We're about to start our fifth year after this winter trip and our problems have been minimal. We've spent over two years of nights inside so far.

I'm of the opinion that owners get screwed on warranty problems and excessive delays because they allow it.

Ray
Old 02-10-2024, 02:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
That seems like little more than some marketing person's dream, as created by somebody with a CAD system.

I'm not anti-EV but, if that's an EV, what's the range? 20 miles?
Beyond that, where is all of that material being stored when going down the road? As huge as it is when deployed, all of those panels and roof sections have to be stored *somewhere* when retracted.

It would need to retract into a nearly solid block - which would make it useless until it was parked and fully deployed. I can't imagine that something like that would win you any popularity contests in the Cracker Barrel parking lot, or while you make a quick sandwich at the freeway rest area.

It seems like it would be massively heavy, and I am having trouble seeing how they would seal the gaps between all of those panels.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 12:37 AM   #34
Open Space Wanted

The link to the web site shows the layout. No mention of price but sure it will be at least $125K.

RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
So what's the warranty going to be on this one?

https://acfuture.com/

You don't need much of a warranty when all that's being done is throwing up some CG images and animations on the web.

I'd be more than willing to bet hard cash today that pipe-dream of a vehicle never comes to fruition.
FlagstaffBen is offline   Reply With Quote