Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #21

I have mine insured through state farm on a separate policy.
Hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
He said his bikes are $8000 each…(x2) hmmm at $100 bucks a month in about 15 years he could replace his bikes…

Well there you go then.. Problem solved!
Old 12-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #23

Quote:
He said his bikes are $8000 each…(x2) hmmm at $100 bucks a month in about 15 years he could replace his bikes…
I sure wish that insurance worked that way. You pay premiums for 15 years and at your 15 year anniversary point they refund your premiums minus any claims that were paid. That would be sweet!
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
Well there you go then.. Problem solved!

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:24 AM   #25

Quote:

Old 12-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #26
D W

Try Lloyd's (Lloyd's of London). They specialize in insuring the extraordinary. If they won't insure it to your terms, nobody will.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #27

Velosurance.com
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:09 PM   #28

Most expensive bikes are covered with a rider on your home owners insurance.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:09 PM   #29

I have a Progressive insurance policy that covers everything in the RV plus anything you store outside including the storage shed. It’s relatively inexpensive and gives full replacement cost. It’s their full timers policy.
tjcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:17 PM   #30

State Farm

I have an expensive mountain bike and contacted my insurance agent about the bike. Too expensive for homeowners to cover so needed a separate policy.. It covers everything but, and there is funky insurance term for it, but the policy doesn't cover a self repair gone bad.

It covers everything else from theft to crash. It was really cheap and the best part is you tell them the value you want insured and they calculate the cost based on that. So if your $5k bike has $2k of upgrades you could insure for $7k.

It's so nice to go some place and throw a simple lock on my bike knowing if it's gone when I get back I get a new one. Before I was parking so I could see the bike putting several locks on it and just being generally nervous of theft when not on it.

No home owners policy is going to cover far more expensive items like jewelry, tools, UTV, boat, etc. Best to call your agent before and ask about new expensive purchases.
ScottW713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:20 PM   #31

i would also parrot what others have said, get RV insurance from a national carrier like geico or state farm; the almost always have personal property coverage as a rider for the policy.

i have geico and opted for it, it covers replacement cost up to $10k (thats the limit i picked, they have more and higher ones) mainly because when i go on extended trips i bring a fair bit of high dollar equipment with me that i could not afford to replace all at once if something happened (desktop replacement laptop for on-call work and video encoding: $3800, DJI drone: $1200, dual fuel generator: $678, Sat TV system and smart TV: $885, Mechanic's tools for field repairs of powersports equipment and vehicle/trailer: $489, LTE router: $299, etc)

total cost on my geico policy for the camper is about $31 extra month and that includes medical and property damage besides the personal property coverage (trailer comes loose or something else happens and damages someone else's property) and is valid anywhere it gets setup or when it's stored either at home or at a facility.
Mechcondrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:32 PM   #32
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

Just a couple of comments.
We recently upgraded to eBikes and they are pricey. The manufacturer recommended that you register them with
https://bikeindex.org/
If they're reported stolen this index (and others) might help you get your bike back and maybe a bike thief a short stay in the crowbar hotel.

If you're a biker, you might also want to subscribe to
https://www.trailforks.com/
It's like $36/year and lists all kinds of trails for biking, hiking etc. all over.
I've even found a couple of trails near my home that I wasn't aware of.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfaring Stranger View Post
I've been on the phone all day trying to get insurance on our Cardinal 5th wheel and the contents and the bikes. The first two are easy. They are suggesting the bikes are only covered if they are stolen from inside the camper, and are not covered if they are stolen at a trail head of any place outside of the camper.

Most of us own bikes and there must be insurance to cover them. Our bikes are expensive, worth about $8000 a piece new. I think $10,000 is what all three are worth used, so that is what National General would provide but they could not confirm they cover a loss of bikes outside the camper.

Help me find someone to insure our bikes, no matter where they get stolen.

Thanks.
Check with good Sam. Your home owners should also be worth a check.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 10:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW713 View Post
I have an expensive mountain bike and contacted my insurance agent about the bike. Too expensive for homeowners to cover so needed a separate policy.. It covers everything but, and there is funky insurance term for it, but the policy doesn't cover a self repair gone bad.

It covers everything else from theft to crash. It was really cheap and the best part is you tell them the value you want insured and they calculate the cost based on that. So if your $5k bike has $2k of upgrades you could insure for $7k.

It's so nice to go some place and throw a simple lock on my bike knowing if it's gone when I get back I get a new one. Before I was parking so I could see the bike putting several locks on it and just being generally nervous of theft when not on it.

No home owners policy is going to cover far more expensive items like jewelry, tools, UTV, boat, etc. Best to call your agent before and ask about new expensive purchases.
I think what you are talking about is typically called a "PAF" or "Personal Articles Floater". It's basically a custom addendum to another policy, such as your homeowners, and you work with your insurer to identify the specific articles being covered. We have one for my computers and for my wife's jewelry, and I think we pay about $50/year for it.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW713 View Post
I'm not sure I follow this logic. I've seen this mentioned before on various insurance threads. I can't believe the insurance company will pay you the value to replace your bike, or what ever it is, with a NEW one. Not for a depreciating item. Maybe jewelry or art that holds value. Other wise think how many 10 year old bikes that are falling apart suddenly "get stolen". I'm assuming that they are giving you $3k for your $5K + $2K mod bike that you can now look on Ebay for a replacement.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying that you don't need insurance for you bike, or all that video equipment the other poster mentioned. You most certainly should. But the limited experience I have with insurance claims is like someone else said, your getting the money for a new Hyundai when you your older Mercedes is gone. Theft prevention should still be the foremost concern with insurance as a backup.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:58 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I think what you are talking about is typically called a "PAF" or "Personal Articles Floater". It's basically a custom addendum to another policy, such as your homeowners, and you work with your insurer to identify the specific articles being covered. We have one for my computers and for my wife's jewelry, and I think we pay about $50/year for it.
X2 i have a personal articles policy on my $1200 drone through state farm . flew it into a lake a fews years back and had a check for 1200 in 4 days . $60 bucks a year . well worth it . Got another Drone and have been able to keep it out of the lake so far .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
X2 i have a personal articles policy on my $1200 drone through state farm . flew it into a lake a fews years back and had a check for 1200 in 4 days . $60 bucks a year . well worth it . Got another Drone and have been able to keep it out of the lake so far .
So you can fly your 3 year old drone into lake and get a brand new one with all the upgrades? For $60 a year? Why would you not fly the new one into the lake? Seems like a nice way to stay current.

Jim M.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:21 AM   #38

Not sure what insurance company you have but intuitively a separate rider to specifically cover the exotic bicycles seems in order. Probably two policies.

-- Chuck
Old 12-21-2021, 10:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
So you can fly your 3 year old drone into lake and get a brand new one with all the upgrades? For $60 a year? Why would you not fly the new one into the lake? Seems like a nice way to stay current.

Jim M.

Well there is a thing called Insurance fraud and a little thing called honesty . something that seems lacking with most people today . YES $60 a yr Yes paid the full amount Since the phatom is no longer produced it would be hard to replace . To simply ruin another drone for a fake ins claim is not good . costs to not stay the same either as you should know in this time of inflation . I don't understand people like you As your thoughts do nothing but cost more for everyone.
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Well there is a thing called Insurance fraud and a little thing called honesty . something that seems lacking with most people today . YES $60 a yr Yes paid the full amount Since the phatom is no longer produced it would be hard to replace . To simply ruin another drone for a fake ins claim is not good . costs to not stay the same either as you should know in this time of inflation . I don't understand people like you As your thoughts do nothing but cost more for everyone.
To be clear this is not something I would personally do or recommend. But there certainly are people who would. And since insurance companies are not out to lose money this type of policy really confuses me. Sticking with your drone example, how many people honestly crash them, or they get run over, or end up in a lake... all truly by accident? Then add the percentage of people who want a new toy every couple of years. Obviously the insurance company has all the numbers in front of them so it must work out for them. Just seems like a huge risk to them.

Jim M.