Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2021, 05:49 PM   #1

How do I insure bicycles as a full time RiVer?

I've been on the phone all day trying to get insurance on our Cardinal 5th wheel and the contents and the bikes. The first two are easy. They are suggesting the bikes are only covered if they are stolen from inside the camper, and are not covered if they are stolen at a trail head of any place outside of the camper.

Most of us own bikes and there must be insurance to cover them. Our bikes are expensive, worth about $8000 a piece new. I think $10,000 is what all three are worth used, so that is what National General would provide but they could not confirm they cover a loss of bikes outside the camper.

Help me find someone to insure our bikes, no matter where they get stolen.

Thanks.
Wayfaring Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:10 PM   #2
Site Team

I keep mine in the covered truck bed. Had a bike stolen out of it and it was covered by my truck's insurance.
Sounds like you have ebikes. Not many regular bike cost that much.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:11 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Google "Bicycle insurance", my bikes don't need insuring, but many people I ride with have $10k bikes and have specific policies. A quick search found: https://simplebikeinsurance.com/

Just biked the Southern Tier - https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot...hern-tier.html
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:18 PM   #4

I just got off the phone with National General Insurance, who claim to be the best RV insurance company.

First they asked me if the bikes were electric. If so, they don't cover them. Next they said my three bikes would be covered, but only if they were within 50 feet of the 5th wheel when they were stolen. So if I put the bikes in the truck and go to a trailhead and ride them, and load them up and drive back to the RV park and stop for lunch, and the bikes get stolen, I was told National General will then only cover 25% of the loss.

But I told them I was a full-time RiVer and the insurance I want is suppose to be like homeowners insurance. They agreed but said they cover bikes differently. I want insurance that covers our bikes if they are stolen anywhere, not just within 50 feet of the RV.

Does anyone have insurance that they know covered their bikes no matter where they are stolen?
Old 12-14-2021, 06:24 PM   #5

My situation is different than yours in that I do not full-time and own a sticks and bricks house. But I did run into a major problem trying to insure our 2 E bikes. I suggest you try Markel Insurance (they do deal directly with the public - google for contact info.).
I did end up getting my Homeowners carrier to include physical damage on the bikes on an all risk property floater endorsement, but Markel was willing to write these if needed. I did place the liability insurance for the bikes with Markel as my Homeowners carrier refused.
The Markel people were very easy to deal with.
If your bikes are E bikes Markel has a special program for these.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:30 PM   #6

2-second Google search..

https://simplebikeinsurance.com/?gcl...EaAsBAEALw_wcB
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
This is the Markel program I referenced in post #5
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Not what I'm looking for. As a full-timer, insurance companies offer a type of home owners policies that should cover bikes, rather than seeking bike only policies like you linked to. National General does offer such insurance, but they have specific clauses where the bike must be stolen while it is within 50 feet of the camper, otherwise they only cover 25% of the loss.

I'll probably settle for the above policy to get started and keep looking for someone offering coverage for the bikes no matter where they were stolen.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I keep mine in the covered truck bed. Had a bike stolen out of it and it was covered by my truck's insurance.
Sounds like you have ebikes. Not many regular bike cost that much.
Nope, not e-bikes. Carbon fiber Pivot brand mountain bikes. I secure them with motorcycle chain and locks. I've had attempts made to steal them but they only scratched the hardened steel chains.

Once we get settled into the RV park in Phoenix, I'll probably lock them to the landing gear at night. I just can't let them get stolen when we have them away from the camper, or we will only get 25% of the loss coverage.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfaring Stranger View Post
Not what I'm looking for.
It may not be what you are looking for, but it may be your only option. I think the Rolling Stones said that best in a song. This is from State Farm:
https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/...ravel-trailers

Covering what’s inside your travel/camping trailer
Items such as jewelry, cameras, bicycles, fishing equipment, golf clubs, and even the things that make your travel/camping trailer feel like home may need extra protection. Ensure they’re also covered with a personal articles policy that goes beyond your travel/camping trailer policy.

https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/...rticles-policy
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:41 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Nope, not e-bikes. Carbon fiber Pivot brand mountain bikes. I secure them with motorcycle chain and locks. I've had attempts made to steal them but they only scratched the hardened steel chains.

Once we get settled into the RV park in Phoenix, I'll probably lock them to the landing gear at night. I just can't let them get stolen when we have them away from the camper, or we will only get 25% of the loss coverage.
Well, those are very high end MTBs. Those are beautiful bikes, very envious. No wonder you want them insured.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 12-15-2021, 10:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
It may not be what you are looking for, but it may be your only option. I think the Rolling Stones said that best in a song. This is from State Farm:
https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/...ravel-trailers

Covering what’s inside your travel/camping trailer
Items such as jewelry, cameras, bicycles, fishing equipment, golf clubs, and even the things that make your travel/camping trailer feel like home may need extra protection. Ensure they’re also covered with a personal articles policy that goes beyond your travel/camping trailer policy.

https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/...rticles-policy
Only because we had our home burglarized some years back, do I now know that insurance salesman are much different then dealing with insurance claims adjusters. Even after being talked into "replacement value" insurance, they still decided the plasma tv we paid $4500 for was only worth $500. I explained to the adjuster that if I had a Mercedes stolen from us, I do not want to hear you are buying me a Kia and then telling me its essentially the same, it has four tires and a steering wheel.

So I was suspicious when they used the words; "covering what's inside your travel / camper trailer. I kept asking if the bikes were only covered if they were "inside" the camper, and they would not answer. Finally, I called the number someone here listed for National General and they told me the bike would be covered if they were within 50 feet of the camper, and they would be covered at 25% of value if they were outside of that range, like at a restaurant parking lot. Now I just need to discern what they think a bikes value is that originally cost $7500, but is 6 years old. That is usually where they get you and say they feel it's only worth $500. But I might be able to intercede and get quotes from bike shops saying it's worth more.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Well, those are very high end MTBs. Those are beautiful bikes, very envious. No wonder you want them insured.
We did not buy them new, so we saved several thousand dollars. I look forward to riding my favorite trails in north Scottsdale once we get settled at the RV resort in Phoenix. Here in Nebraska, just outside Omaha, we mostly rode on paved trails that circle man-made lakes. It's really beautiful watching the Canada geese flocking on the lakes. We even saw a large pelican I thought escaped from the zoo. It turns out they actually do live in this area.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
We did not buy them new, so we saved several thousand dollars. I look forward to riding my favorite trails in north Scottsdale once we get settled at the RV resort in Phoenix. Here in Nebraska, just outside Omaha, we mostly rode on paved trails that circle man-made lakes. It's really beautiful watching the Canada geese flocking on the lakes. We even saw a large pelican I thought escaped from the zoo. It turns out they actually do live in this area.

Self insure.

Put aside 50, 75, 100 a month in a separate account or what ever just for bike replacement.

If they get stolen you will have monies to replace, if not you have saved on the insurance premium which would never replace the true value of the bikes.

If they don't get stolen you have a windfall to spend as you see fit.

WIN WIN SEEMS TO ME.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:22 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
We sold our house on Camano Island and are having a house built in SW Phoenix. There are tons of trails to ride in the area. So I hopefully will get in better shape riding my road bike and MTB there.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:19 PM   #16

Quote:
We sold our house on Camano Island and are having a house built in SW Phoenix. There are tons of trails to ride in the area. So I hopefully will get in better shape riding my road bike and MTB there.
From the coast to the 🌵. That’s a big change.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
Self insure.

Put aside 50, 75, 100 a month in a separate account or what ever just for bike replacement.

If they get stolen you will have monies to replace, if not you have saved on the insurance premium which would never replace the true value of the bikes.

If they don't get stolen you have a windfall to spend as you see fit.

WIN WIN SEEMS TO ME.
He said his bikes are $8000 each…(x2) hmmm at $100 bucks a month in about 15 years he could replace his bikes…

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:21 PM   #18

You could do what our friend who has a motorcycle did. He had GPS tracking put on his bike in a concealed location. It wouldn't stop them from being stolen, but it might help you recover them.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:43 PM   #19
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Biking!

While in the Scottsdale area, go to Brown’s Ranch or McDowell Mountain Park. There are a lot of great rides with spectacular views. Do try to avoid the weekends at some of the parks, as there are a lot of big races going on this time of year. Have fun!
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
He said his bikes are $8000 each…(x2) hmmm at $100 bucks a month in about 15 years he could replace his bikes…
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote