Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #41
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Oh now John, you should really try the tp breakdown test in a glass of water. We did. Also, most all tp sold today is septic safe.

We've been using our 'fancy' Charmin in the house and the RV for ages. Much nicer, no problems.

https://www.charmin.com/en-us/tips-a...s/flushability
If you had read a few posts above you'll see that I already have!

And again...if you are using campground sewer hookups, then think about what you are leaving behind in their septic systems.

Sure, you aren't having problems...

But the CG's septic system?

I know...who cares?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:41 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
If you had read a few posts above you'll see that I already have!

And again...if you are using campground sewer hookups, then think about what you are leaving behind in their septic systems.

Sure, you aren't having problems...

But the CG's septic system?

I know...who cares?
Ah, that was you with the Angel Soft. Your test came out different from ours. We didn't notice any discernable difference in any of the brands/types.

But I still don't see why you think any modern TP is not safe for cg septic. We have septic all over the farms, use all kinds of tp and wipes, and have no problems caused by them. Why do you think a cg septic would be any different? I don't see anything in this thread where folks are using anything that could hurt a cg septic system.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 09-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #43
Lifesylers

Booty call

We use regular TP just as we do at the home front. I do use the flush system when leaving the park/campground. I have no sensor problems. Use water, little paper and finish with the baby wipes and throw in the trash. Don't say yuch, just dump the trash daily.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:19 PM   #44

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
This has been discussed many times previously. There are even videos on YouTube showing tests of shaking different brands in a bottle of water.

You will get many recommendations on what to use and you'll even hear from those that dont flush it at all and throw it into a trashcan. (Yuck!)

Here's what we've done in EVERY camper we've owned in 40+ years... We use the SAME EXACT toilet paper we use in our home. No problems in our septic tank and NEVER a issue in the camper.

There are several RV related , 'old wive's tales'.
RV toilet paper and Nitrogen filled tires come to mind quickly.
X2. 5 years never a problem.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #45

Scott’s as we did when we lived with a septic system
Old 09-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #46

Been using Charmin since Mr Whipple was still squeezing it on TV (Black and White even).

Used it in my 1972 Prowler when new-no problems. Used it in two more trailers since the 72. Used in my home bathrooms on a septic system, no issues. Still use it today.

As for campground Septic Systems, there's a good chance they are "pumped" a lot more often than a home system because of the much higher use. I've stayed in some campgrounds where they actually had Holding Tanks that got pumped regularly as they had no leach fields.

Ever seen how TP is made? It starts as a semi liquid slurry. Doesn't take much time for it to be in water and it returns to the same kind of slurry.

As for saving the TP in a trash can, no thanks. Too much chance that that fly that joins you at the dinner table has stopped off at the trash basket for an appetizer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 09-17-2018, 10:28 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
As for saving the TP in a trash can, no thanks. Too much chance that that fly that joins you at the dinner table has stopped off at the trash basket for an appetizer.
LOL! Ok, that one made me snort out loud Thanks for the good laugh!!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 09-17-2018, 11:02 PM   #48

I'm still using old SEARS AND ROEBUCK catalogs just cut your sewer pipe at the first elbow and make sure you dig a 4 foot x 4 foot hole underneath your camper LOL
Old 09-17-2018, 11:19 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck View Post
I'm still using old SEARS AND ROEBUCK catalogs just cut your sewer pipe at the first elbow and make sure you dig a 4 foot x 4 foot hole underneath your camper LOL
I did that and got kicked out of my campground.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:39 PM   #50

I use Thetford two ply. I don’t trust the whole five minute shake test. Most toilet paper will dissolve if you shake it in a jar full of water. However, I don’t shake my black water tank. I tried using a “septic safe” household paper but it started pyramiding up and I had to sacrifice a marshmallow stick to break it up. Never again. It might be more expensive to use the Thetford, but I don’t have to worry about wasting another marshmallow poker.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:02 AM   #51

Special RV paper ain't so special

I'm a girl. The RV toilet paper comes apart and literally melts in my hand as soon as it makes contact with moisture. Then, I have to use more dry paper to pick the melted paper off of my now wet hand. It's regular TP from Walmart for me.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #52
Newly Retired

I though that TP, was the cheapest thing in my RV.

The tank level sencers are what the heavier paper will cling to. Flushing from the top with a wand will clean them up usually. Or dump 20 lbs of ice cubes in the tank before a trip.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
I get sticker shock every time I buy RV toilet paper. I had one person tell my wife there is no difference in regular toilet paper and RV toilet paper.

For the record I hook up to sewer, make the drain is closed, put a few gallons of water and the tank tablet to break down waste.

I was under the impression that RV toilet paper broke down quicker and easier.

Any thoughts?
We use Scotts single ply !!! Probably no difference than RV paper ???
I believe out Sunseeker would not have a problem with 2 ply,,,
but we used to have a TT that would definitely not handle 2 ply !!!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinFam View Post
I use Thetford two ply. I don’t trust the whole five minute shake test. Most toilet paper will dissolve if you shake it in a jar full of water. However, I don’t shake my black water tank. I tried using a “septic safe” household paper but it started pyramiding up and I had to sacrifice a marshmallow stick to break it up. Never again. It might be more expensive to use the Thetford, but I don’t have to worry about wasting another marshmallow poker.
That is why my tests never involved shaking. Put in paper pour in the water and let it sit still like in my black tank. Scotts and Northern 2 ply soft on my butt kinds naturally just disintegrate within a day.

Folks have to do whatever works for them and has been proven to themselves. Don't do it just because someone said so or it worked for them. I use all the trials, experience and knowledge as I prove it out to myself.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #55

We use Angel Soft in a 4pack from the Dollar Tree. We have an A-frame with toilet, cassette, so don't have quite the same issues as larger units with black tanks. Ours is kept strictly, as much as possible anyway, for "#1". The longest we've camped in it the year we've had it is 5 nights and didn't have an issue with it filling up, there's two of us. When we're heading home I add extra water to it and let the driving take care of it. By the time we're home, there's nothing solid left and I dump it either in the home toilet or one of the free dumps at a few gas stations nearby.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #56

RV TP is one big ripoff IMHO.

We have been using Costco Kirkland TP for at least 5 years exclusively, never a problem, passes the 'shake test' with flying colors, no problems with our macerator pump if we have to use it, doesn't break the bank. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the other septic safe brands either.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #57
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinFam View Post
I've seen this mentioned a few times and I can't envision how folks let this happen.

If you are getting a poop pyramid or paper pyramid, you simply are not using enough water and/or don't have liquid already in the tank when starting out.

After emptying the black tank, you must put some water (and/or chemicals of your choice) back into the tank before using the toilet at the next outing.

When done doing the business, there should be enough water in the bowl (before flushing) so that when opening the flush valve, there is enough liquid in that flush process to keep pyramids from forming. Even on our current 5th wheel with two 45º ells below the toilet, we don't have any issues.

Using too much water to flush while at at a campground with full hook-ups should never be an issue. Dump the black tank as often as necessary. That is why you paid for FULL hook-ups.

When boondocking or at a water/electric only site, two of us can easily use the 40 gallon black tank for 6 days while utilizing enough water for proper flushing without pyramids.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 09-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #58

We headed home from camping last week,,, out last trip of the year,,, after dumping we added soap to both Black & Grey tanks with a good amount of water,,, so before winterizing I will dump tanks either in the driveway,,, or on the lawn,,, have been doing this for years,,, should add we live in the country !!!
Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
We just use Costco's Kirkland brand toilet paper at home and in the TT.
X2 !!
Old 09-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #60

I've said it before and will restate, "there's no reason to spend money on RV toilet paper." My solution is to always use more water per flush than you think is necessary. With enough water, tanks will drain with more force when emptied. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Closed Thread