Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
You do realize that during a shower you are ingesting the water via water vapors into your respiratory system?
I guess I should be dead. I grew up drinking from the water hose when I was outside.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I guess I should be dead. I grew up drinking from the water hose when I was outside.

Yea me too
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVtraveller View Post
I started doing this last year. It works exceptionally well for us.
We store our toyhauler out of town and near to where we usually camp. So I can't just fill the fresh water tank with the garden hose at home like some of you. So to find a place to get water in the desert or mountains had been a challenge. Most places charge $10 for 50 gallons once you find them. And I refuse to get water from a dump station hose.
So, after researching getting a 50 to 100 gal tank to fit in my truck bed, I didn't like the cost or the idea of having this massive tank in my truck all the time. That was a no go.
So, I bought 15, 5 gallon buckets w lids at the orange home store. Cost about $80 total, collapse into a small space inside each other when empty.
I also bought a Ryobi cordless transfer pump for about $80 as well. And a 30 foot hose that I attach the water filter to when filling the trailer.
I fill the buckets while in place in the truck before leaving the house. I empty the buckets in place in the truck and stack them as I empty them. I never have to carry heavy buckets or cans.
So. For less than $200, I dont have to worry about water again.
Sure, they aren't airtight, and can leak a little, but water sitting a few days in the buckets and then run thru a filter seems fine.
Disclaimer... we don't drink the water, just use it to wash dishes, shower, flush toilet, etc. I would not recommend drinking the water carried this way.
Hope this helps.
We tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer when we go out with the toys. I put a 55 gal (food safe) water barrel in the front of it. I have a 12v pump and put a inline filter on it. If we go for more than 4 days I also bring 2 7 gal jugs.

The thing most people don't understand is that when you wash up with your water you are exposed to the water thru your skin. You might not drink it but it gets into your body other ways.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
What makes a water hose “food grade”?
Sincerely don’t knoe. ��
most likely it has little to no lead and other chemicals that are bad for you. I just use the white ones and I am still here...
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVtraveller View Post
I started doing this last year. It works exceptionally well for us.
We store our toyhauler out of town and near to where we usually camp. So I can't just fill the fresh water tank with the garden hose at home like some of you. So to find a place to get water in the desert or mountains had been a challenge. Most places charge $10 for 50 gallons once you find them. And I refuse to get water from a dump station hose.
So, after researching getting a 50 to 100 gal tank to fit in my truck bed, I didn't like the cost or the idea of having this massive tank in my truck all the time. That was a no go.
So, I bought 15, 5 gallon buckets w lids at the orange home store. Cost about $80 total, collapse into a small space inside each other when empty.
I also bought a Ryobi cordless transfer pump for about $80 as well. And a 30 foot hose that I attach the water filter to when filling the trailer.
I fill the buckets while in place in the truck before leaving the house. I empty the buckets in place in the truck and stack them as I empty them. I never have to carry heavy buckets or cans.
So. For less than $200, I dont have to worry about water again.
Sure, they aren't airtight, and can leak a little, but water sitting a few days in the buckets and then run thru a filter seems fine.
Disclaimer... we don't drink the water, just use it to wash dishes, shower, flush toilet, etc. I would not recommend drinking the water carried this way.
Hope this helps.
A little over 600 lbs to haul.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Collapsible 5-gallon water containers. Come in sizes from 1.3 gallons to 5.3 gallons. They are cube shaped and waste less room than round buckets.

https://smile.amazon.com/WaterStorag...ontainer&psc=1

Can store them in any spare space. Each 5 gal container weighs just over 40 lbs so if you have to move weight around for proper load balance in TV or TT, this is an easy way to do so.

If you carry in the pickup bed along with items that might puncture them just build a wood box that fits across the bed and holds a row or two of them.

These "cubes" also come with a pour spout so you can more easily pour int the gravity fill port on your tank or even just put on on the counter for Kitchen use (great if water system is winterized). Cubes can also be filled from drinking water dispensers in grocery store, etc.

Different styles with different materials available with prices running from $7-$10, depending. Also available are molded plastic water carriers much like "jerry cans" used for gasoline/diesel. Much more durable but also more expensive.

WOW! $44 in Canada!! What a rip off!

2018 Forest River Sabre (cobalt), 30RLT
2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 4X4 Long Box, 6.0L Vortex
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #27
Trailer Park Supervisor

Food grade means the absence or minimal use (below FDA thresholds) of compounds in metals or plastics that can transfer out into the food/drink that is stored/transferred in these containers. Stuff that can be bad for you, like lead. The possibility of bad stuff leeching out also has to do with contact time and temperature, and pH. If you occasionally take a drink from a garden hose that has been flushed out, and is not full of stagnant water that has been sitting in the sun all day, the likelihood of ingesting anything nasty would be pretty low.

If you routinely drink that water coming out of a hose (like attached to your RV), it would be a good idea to use a 'drinking water safe' hose.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #28
D W

Quote:
Same here, still do! Grand-Daughters do as well, much to their mother's dismay. lol!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Some of the longest living people in the world drink water from sources that would make water from a hose look like it was distilled.s

They drink from rivers, creeks, springs, and don't bother to look for any EPA approval signs.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
A little over 600 lbs to haul.
I know! It's awesome. Truck rides so much better on the way out than on the back home.

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #31

Buy the ones from the BLUE store. They are food safe. The transfer pump that you are using is NOT food safe. Buy the one that is used for homebrewing. Instead of carrying all that weight in water, invest in a portable distiller like the ones used on lifeboats. You can get fresh, clean potable water from piss and sludge if need be.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #32

That other "non orange" big box hardware store has white five gallon buckets that you can purchase an additional screw on water tight lid for them. Makes transporting water convenient and no spilling.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:14 PM   #33

We have a 55 gallon drum and a 30 gallon with a pump. Works great.
Trailer holds 50 gallons. Yes we tow with water in the tank.
130 gallons and we boondock for at least a week. Usually have water on the way back.
We also keep an extra 2 gallon jug in the bathroom for the times when we forget to turn on the water pump.
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:18 PM   #34
Ham Call N8SAC

I use a 15 gal barrel that came from work. Set in back of truck with a pump like the TT has just pump water into TT.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
Buy the ones from the BLUE store. They are food safe. The transfer pump that you are using is NOT food safe. Buy the one that is used for homebrewing. Instead of carrying all that weight in water, invest in a portable distiller like the ones used on lifeboats. You can get fresh, clean potable water from piss and sludge if need be.
Now you're talkin! I'll just install a miniature water purifying plant in my trailer! Convert everything in my black and gray tanks into Perrier. Never need water, ever! Never dump the tanks again.
Genius.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:15 PM   #36

Red buckets

I purchased a pickle bucket from Firehouse Subs for another purpose, but it is food safe, the lid has a gasket, and is very inexpensive. For a 2 or 3 dollar (I forget which, CRS is a booger!) donation I took mine home. I offered more but they declined. Never met anyone who turned extra funds down, but, hey...
I did have to let the bucket air out for a good while to get the pickle smell out, it just might impart a minor flavor at first.
Just a suggestion.

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
We have a 55 gallon drum and a 30 gallon with a pump. Works great.
Trailer holds 50 gallons. Yes we tow with water in the tank.
130 gallons and we boondock for at least a week. Usually have water on the way back.
We also keep an extra 2 gallon jug in the bathroom for the times when we forget to turn on the water pump.
Yep. Our toyhauler fresh tank holds 100 gallons, but shows empty with about 40 gallons in it. Wife and i boondock for a week and usually fill the gray tank (40 gallons) by day 8. That usually determines when it's time to pack up and look for a dump station.
We always travel with a full fresh water tank.
We carry 10 gallons bottled water for drinks, coffee, etc.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
You do realize that during a shower you are ingesting the water via water vapors into your respiratory system?
You are also ingesting it right through your skin—your largest organ.

I would drink the water—I have put much worse stuff into my body over the years.

Bruce
Old 12-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #39

I take a 50 gallon drum and roll it off the back of the truck onto some old tires (without rims). Then use an electric pump to transfer into the trailer tank.
CampKookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
You mean like the device Kevin Costner used in the movie "Water World"?

One question, does the smell go away or is it just transferred over.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water