Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #1

How I Carry Extra Water Cheaply

I started doing this last year. It works exceptionally well for us.
We store our toyhauler out of town and near to where we usually camp. So I can't just fill the fresh water tank with the garden hose at home like some of you. So to find a place to get water in the desert or mountains had been a challenge. Most places charge $10 for 50 gallons once you find them. And I refuse to get water from a dump station hose.
So, after researching getting a 50 to 100 gal tank to fit in my truck bed, I didn't like the cost or the idea of having this massive tank in my truck all the time. That was a no go.
So, I bought 15, 5 gallon buckets w lids at the orange home store. Cost about $80 total, collapse into a small space inside each other when empty.
I also bought a Ryobi cordless transfer pump for about $80 as well. And a 30 foot hose that I attach the water filter to when filling the trailer.
I fill the buckets while in place in the truck before leaving the house. I empty the buckets in place in the truck and stack them as I empty them. I never have to carry heavy buckets or cans.
So. For less than $200, I dont have to worry about water again.
Sure, they aren't airtight, and can leak a little, but water sitting a few days in the buckets and then run thru a filter seems fine.
Disclaimer... we don't drink the water, just use it to wash dishes, shower, flush toilet, etc. I would not recommend drinking the water carried this way.
Hope this helps.

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

I use those orange buckets when brining turkeys for Thanksgiving. But I've often worried a little that they are not food safe, but talk myself into not worrying a about it, being the food will only be in there for 12 hours. For extra water, I use Reliance brand food safe 10g tanks. Problem is, they do not nest in each other like your brilliant bucket idea. Being that it is not drinking water, I guess it is a moot point. But you said you transfer the water to your potable water system, which I plan to drink from.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I use those orange buckets when brining turkeys for Thanksgiving. But I've often worried a little that they are not food safe, but talk myself into not worrying a about it, being the food will only be in there for 12 hours.
Buy the 5 gallon brining bags. They fit into the buckets and are food safe, and make cleanup much easier.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:38 PM   #4

ADVtraveller, did you ever look into those water bladders that fit in the bed your truck?
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:33 PM   #5

Collapsible 5-gallon water containers. Come in sizes from 1.3 gallons to 5.3 gallons. They are cube shaped and waste less room than round buckets.

https://smile.amazon.com/WaterStorag...ontainer&psc=1

Can store them in any spare space. Each 5 gal container weighs just over 40 lbs so if you have to move weight around for proper load balance in TV or TT, this is an easy way to do so.

If you carry in the pickup bed along with items that might puncture them just build a wood box that fits across the bed and holds a row or two of them.

These "cubes" also come with a pour spout so you can more easily pour int the gravity fill port on your tank or even just put on on the counter for Kitchen use (great if water system is winterized). Cubes can also be filled from drinking water dispensers in grocery store, etc.

Different styles with different materials available with prices running from $7-$10, depending. Also available are molded plastic water carriers much like "jerry cans" used for gasoline/diesel. Much more durable but also more expensive.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
ADVtraveller, did you ever look into those water bladders that fit in the bed your truck?
Remember, bladders need a method of transferring water to the TT's tank. Add cost of pump.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
I did. I like them. Thank you for the heads up.
I'm just sharing a cheap easy way to carry non potable water.
The jury is still out on those bladders in my house as I always manage to break things that are even a little bit fragile. Whether those bladders are fragile and durable enuf for me has yet to be proven. They may be the better way to go.
But seriously, potable water is only as potable as the method one uses to get it into the fresh water tank.
Most use a hose of some form. Which typically, is rated non potable unless it's a fixed hose. And it's done either thru a transfer pump or siphon, neither of which are 'food grade'.

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVtraveller View Post
But seriously, potable water is only as potable as the method one uses to get it into the fresh water tank.
Most use a hose of some form. Which typically, is rated non potable unless it's a fixed hose. And it's done either thru a transfer pump or siphon, neither of which are 'food grade'.
If there is a hose bib/hydrant from a potable source I would use my own hose. The white RV hoses are "food grade".

Also, if you are uncertain of the water source you could just add the recommended amount of Chlorox to the "bladder" and then let your vehicle filter remove the taste as you pump it through the TT's water system. A good reason to leave the onboard filter where it is if the TT came with one.

Visit the Chlorox website and they list the amount of chlorox to add to drinking water if unsure of source.

BTW, for those who have large water transport bladders and their TT has a winterizing port, just run your regular hose from the Anti-freeze port, turn the valve from tank to port, and connect other end of the hose to the bladder. Water pump will now draw water from the bladder. May have to make an adapter to connect to bladder for hose.

If you want water in the tank, make a hose adapter for the outside shower and run second hose to tank fill. Open cold faucet and turn on pump.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #9

Why not buy a one hundred gallon air bladder tank, I think there are called pillow tanks. Husky Portable Containment tanks makes them any size you want. When all the water is out they fold up really small.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #10

100 gallons of water weighs 834 gallons! But you know this,

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:42 PM   #11

www.plastic-mart.com
You can order made to order food grade plastic tanks with 4" clean out holes and holes threaded for spigot. We ordered two 23 gallon units for roof top rack on truck for extra water when boondocking. Real quality thick material. Thicker than the blue barrels. 17000+ miles vibrating on the roof and no problems.
Only here once - do it baby!
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #12

Curious

What makes a water hose “food grade”?
Sincerely don’t knoe. 🤔
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #13

I always have several 6 gal wine juice buckets lying around. (I make 1-2 batches of wine a year.) They are food safe and the lid snaps on with a gasket.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #14

No do not need a pump with a bladder if it sits a couple of inches higher then the tank inlet on trailer and it will flow faster then you would think
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
What makes a water hose “food grade”?
Sincerely don’t knoe. 🤔
BPA free....BPA is used in hardening plastics and at one time was deemed safe but the FDA now has "concerns" about its effects on the brain/certain glands in the body....
LI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #16

One large bladder for freshwater and another one in black, gray, olive green or whatever to carry gray water out. They store so easily and take up very little space when empty. Yeah, you'll need a pump to transfer the gray water, but still. Rule of thumb, larger is cheaper.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #17

I carry this tank in the back of my Expedition when we're camping without water on site. Pump it directly into the trailer via either the fresh water inlet or the freshwater tank using the noisy 12 pump I replaced in the camper with one of those "whisper" quiet pumps. Tank never leaves the truck. Easy to fill in situ. Pump is carried in a plastic box and powered via the trailer's umbilical cord that normally connects to the truck (electricity flows both ways). Small enough to handle and store at home (when empty). Fitted with a standard faucet. (Ball valve sticks out too far.)

No need to pull it out of the shed if we know we'll have water on site.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
100 gallons of water weighs 834 gallons! But you know this,

-- Chuck
Nope. 100 gallons of water weighs 834 pounds. And you knew this.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
I always have several 6 gal wine juice buckets lying around. (I make 1-2 batches of wine a year.) They are food safe and the lid snaps on with a gasket.

Now we're talking!

I just popped this bottle from a batch I made in 2011, it's 5 o'clock somewhere . Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to make wine when you're on the road, so my stash is slowly but surely shrinking .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181130_123701.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	192409  
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:01 PM   #20
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVtraveller View Post
Disclaimer... we don't drink the water, just use it to wash dishes, shower, flush toilet, etc. I would not recommend drinking the water carried this way.
Hope this helps.
You do realize that during a shower you are ingesting the water via water vapors into your respiratory system?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water