Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #41
Rocklin Auto Brokers - Sales

I work for a company that sells what I feel is the best warranty service out there. We are vary competitively priced, All contracts are transferable and refundable minus the time used, you can take the RV anywhere you choose that is a licensed shop, and the service is amazing. They will even cover food spoilage, gas loss due to repair, rental car, travel home if repair is more than 3 days, heck they will even board a pet for you. They cover new parts, seals and gaskets and there are no crazy mileage caps. I have this coverage and so do my parents because I really believe in the coverage. Anyone that has been burned before, I would ask that you check us out and see for yourself. Both our dealership and the warranty we sell are A rated with BBB and endorsed by the RVDA.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #42
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen View Post
Anyone that has been burned before, I would ask that you check us out and see for yourself.
Once burned; twice shy.
Never again.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #43
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen View Post
I have this coverage and so do my parents because I really believe in the coverage.
Employee discount for forum members?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #44
Rocklin Auto Brokers - Sales

I would definitely fight for huge discounts for Forum members! I'll be honest, my boss pays for several websites that lead to customers entering quote requests. I'm all about explaining how the leads from this forum were free and he should in return dish out the discounts. Good deal for my new friends and a reasonable business deal for him??? Sounds like a win/win.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #45
Oklahoma Proud

We had the dealer throw in the second FR warranty and purchased the 5 year extended warranty from the finance company. They told me the 5 year would be like $1500 something and I turned it down. The week before the trailer got delivered I called them and said if they could make me a deal I would consider if not I would move on. They said they would call the warranty rep. But he thought they could knock 15% off. He called me and said he could do like $1280 or something like that. I had already decided if it was below $1300 I would do it so I did. Trust me i will use it for every little thing, and here in Oklahoma I'm sure I will use it for the a/c a time or 2!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #46

Once Bitten...

I'm really glad I read this forum tonight. We are in the midst of purchasing our second trailer in 13 months. With our first trailer we paid $2000 for the extended warranty just to go to the RV show the following weekend to see our dealer offering $500 off on the warranty! That left a very bad image of the warranties in our minds.
That being said, our refrigerator went out when our trailer was only 4 months old, the outdoor kitchen door started splitting at the hinge after ~9 months, and the plumbing in the bathroom continues to leak even though the dealer has "fixed" it 3 times. We have a permanent site and probably spent 100 days in our trailer in the 12 months we've owned it. If we had only used our trailer a few times a year it may have taken years for these costly repairs to surface (To replace the refrigerator they had to completely remove the entry door! I can only imagine what that cost.)
I am going to tell the dealer I don't want the extended plan on the new trailer since they are bound to reduce the price. Then, I'm going to buy it. $8/mo. is worth the peace of mind.
contrygrl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #47

^^ Who is offering you a 15 year warranty?

Just looking at your numbers, you are talking about getting the warranty for $1500 and that working out to $8 per month.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #48

Quote:
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Did Lincoln really say that?

We're on the 'NO' side. The information on this forum and local experience has allowed us to deal with minor issues that we've encountered. Parts are commonly available and (much) less than the actual replacement unit. Today it's often more economical to replace the unit than repair with shop rates, unless you're handy and can determine the faulty part and replace.

For those that choose extended warranties the fine print is important to understand, and conditions that must be met for the warranty to be honored.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #49

Just a quick note. If you are working with the dealer to purchase the warranty, bargain with them, they have a lot of profit they can take on it. On my first motor home, we bought the extended warranty. The dealer subsequently went out of business. This last year, we traded the motorhome and cancelled the extended warranty. When I contacted the extended warranty company, they were supposed to pay back a prorated amount of the remainder of the warranty becuase the dealer was out of business. They told me that they would pay me the prorated amount of what the dealer paid them, not what I paid to the dealer for it. When they told me the amount they would pay, I was able to determine the amount of dealer markup. It was between 4 and 5 times what it cost the dealer. Bargain with the dealer on the warranty price.
goscubadive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #50
"Don't Tread on Me"

Angry Ripped Off ?

I purchased an extended warranty from Camping World in 2010 when I bought a Keystone Outback. I turned it in for a refund when I bought my new FR 8329SS. I just called to check on my refund. The Finance Manager advised me he didn't see anything where I turned it in and asked who I gave it. When I told him I gave it to him, all he could tell me was that he normally doesn't lose things like that and he would have to check on it. It was a 7 year warranty.
Rockwood Roo 235S
2002 F-250 7.3 Diesel Powerstroke Powerhouse
Chipped, Bank's Exhaus
t - "Bad to the Bone"
sgtsdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #51
Owner/Operator

FWIW, after reading this thread I called the RV Repair Company that I managed for several years in Yuma, AZ (AL's RV Service and Supply) and asked which "extended warranty" company they recommended with respect to not denying coverage, covering the most items, and easy of processing. They told me hands down it was XtraRide (Protective Asset Protection).

I then checked with the local dealer where I will be committing to a purchase of a Rockwood on Monday, and they carry and recommend XtraRide. So now it's just negotiating the best price and coverage at deal time.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #52

We bought an Easy Care extended warranty plan. I'm a bozo at fixing stuff so for us it is a piece of mind. If I don't need it then I wasted money. If I use it, it pays for itself. Hey, life insurance is paid your entire life and only used once!
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #53

Warranty? My RV is my hobby !

We are now in our third travel trailer since 2005, I have never returned our unit to a dealer for warranty service. I usually negotiate during purchasing on the basis that he will never see me until I am ready to trade. I have asked and received components from manufacturers, no charge during the warranty period. Secondly, I have purchased parts directly from manufacturers at substantial discounts. We have found that when something malfunctions it is usually a sign of low cost engineering or inferior parts to keep their cost down. Therefore, I usually repair or replace for long term use without using cost as a guiding light, because it's a hobby, right, LOL
We replace the cheap Chinese tires first, then remove all the grease from the bearings and hand pack with a quality grease. This is not necessary if you are towing 1000 miles a year to local campgrounds. But, if you would like to run 60 mph for 3 hours and have the bearings feel barely warm to the touch, change your grease.
Upgrading and add on convienence items are a fun hobby, the RV is sometimes refered to as "the other woman", but it also helps to be retired and have the time to play.
Warranty or not, have fun RV-ing !!!!!

Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #54

Burned by extended warranties before would never buy another. Seems the ones I have had in the past always find an excuse why not to pay...........
We have never had one pay off..... Waste of money I can get alot of work done for 2K.....
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #55

I bought a Extraride extended warranty for my fiver when I purchased it 5 years ago for a bargain price. Fortunately or unfortunately I've used it with no hassle what so ever. Just paid the $50 deductible and all went well. It has personally paid for itself and the service has been absolutely no hassle. It's all a matter of what you are comfortable with
dredger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #56

Extended Warranties

Extended warranties are a rip off if you never use them. If you ever do have an expensive repair (s) it will be the best purchase you ever made. For $1500 for a 5 year warranty it's worth it to me for piece of mind and flexibility. I can take the TT to any Forest River dealer for repairs and they will bill the warranty/insurance provider. It will also help with resale value if you decide to sell. I bought a warranty on my first TT and decided to upgrade 2 years later. The warranty transfer cost was $50. The buyer probably paid more for my used TT due to the warranty and I only lost 3% off my original purchase price minus the warranty, tax and license.
maverick_415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #57

When we bought our new tt in January, the dealer included an extended warranty - 4 years beyond the original one-year factory warranty - at no cost.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #58

Extended Warranty, think about it. It nothing more than insurance. Is it a good deal for you or for the seller. It's a gamble just like any kind of insurance. They are betting you won't and you're betting you will. Would they be selling it if they weren't making money on it? Believe me, the odds are in their favor or they would never offer it to you. So, it boils down to how much of a gambler are you.

2009 Rockwood 2701SS
2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #59

If you buy extended insurance just be sure to read the policy so you know exactly what will be covered.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #60

I had my 1st TT & took a 5 yr. extended for $1100.00. Sold that TT & bought a new one after 7 months. Called my agent & it cost me $20.00 to transfer from the old to the new. I'm like the most of you, it is a judgement call on what you can afford. Mine also is bumper to bumper and starts after the factory 1 year ends. I sleep at night knowing i won't be out of pocket for 6 yrs.
Grandpa46 is offline   Reply With Quote