Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #1

How to find best deal in US and import to Canada

Have only had our first trailer for just over a year and we are already looking at upgrading to a larger/nicer TT (new). We've been warned from the start this happens all the time. Not sure which brand/model yet, just formulating ideas and a plan.

We are on the west coast of Canada and are trying to figure how to get the best deal from anywhere between one of the Indiana plants and the west coast of the US or Canada. We know there is RVwholesalers for example, but are there others? Or can you shop around at dealers online and get a good price? We would consider driving all the way to Indiana if we saved enough. Are there brokers out there that can do this for you? Not sure how this side of RV purchasing works but we read about many doing it.

We don't want to pay purchase tax in the US and again in Canada either. Is there a way around this like buying in Oregon or Montana where there are no sales taxes?

Not worried about the import paperwork that needs to be done. Would consider a 2012 model or maybe even a 2011 if it saved enough as long as the warranty isn't affected.

Or perhaps it is just easier to negotiate hard with our local dealer and live with it? Anyone have tips and tricks on how to drive the best bargain these days? We have read that in some cases you can get them down by around 30%?

The only downside to any of this it seems are potential warranty hassles?

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Commercial Member

You shouldn't have to pay any sales tax when buying out of state.

If it works the same for Canada, as it is here.... If someone from NJ comes to PA to buy an rv, they don't pay PA sales tax, they pay NJ sales tax when they go back to NJ and register the rv with NJ DOT.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #3

Hard to say for sure yet on the tax situation. DW is an accountant and says it can't be done. We've asked Customs people before on things other than RVs and vehicles and they said you can't. Maybe RVs and vehicles are treated differently? But I have been under the impression for decades that you can apply to get tax refunded. Hopefully some Canuck who has figured this out will come along.

Same thing must apply to new vehicles that Canadians buy in the US. I can't imagine everyone is paying double taxes every time. We've got to pay 12% on pretty much everything these days and Washington state is 6.5% on most things so that's a lot of $$. One thing that can help is trading in your old RV and then you only pay tax on the difference. Pretty sure we're not going to be towing our old one to Indiana for a trade-in though so that's out unless we do it with our local dealer.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #4

Just to let you know we checked into buying in the U.S. and dealers there would take our other trailer in trade, however, when you are coming back into Canada you pay the taxes on the whole amount of the new trailer, they do not take into account you had a trade and pay only on difference. This was a big detterent for us so we decided to buy locally here in Winnipeg. We figure that the warranty is also an issue. Good Luck.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We've imported 2 campers into Ontario, didn't pay any state tax only PST/GST when brought into Canada. You need to discuss with the dealer as in some states you have to pay state tax in addition to PST/GST.

If you type 'import into Canada' in the search function, you'll find lots of previous threads.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #6

Tax in my county (in washington) is 8.25%...we bought in another county (in Washington) where tax was slightly higher & a few weeks later received a refund check of $135-, the difference of the two counties. I originally was going to buy from a dealer in Idaho. They were not going to charge me sales tax but Washington state would have (based on bill of sale) upon registering it in the state.

A few years ago I brought a truck back from California & had to prove to Washington state that sales tax was paid on the vehicle otherwise Washington revenue was going to charge me based on the value of the truck...fortunately, I had the proof. There is no getting around paying tax, one place or another. Dont know how it works when sales cross the US border.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
Site Team

there are no West Coast dealers like RVW or RVDirect.
the closest place to get such a deal, would be a Des Moines pickup, thru RVDirect.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #8

I've been checking out US dealers too and you are right the starting discount seems to be 30%. Not sure how much more they will go. The big problem seems to be that Cdn dealers won't service units purchased in US. RVDirect says they have dealers in Cdn that will do service work. A real selling feature if true.
Not sure if you pay sales tax on purchase in US but do know that on other consumer purchases you can apply for a refund.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #9

If you do decide to purchase in the US I would recommend going to the dealer to pick-up your unit. A delivery broker will not do a walk through of the trailer when they drop it off. If there is something that is not working you now have a warranty issue. Plus you will not get to see how all the items of the unit work. the 30% discount does seem great but you will have to factor in the cost of delivery to the west coast. If you were to go the the dealer to pick it up what will be the cost of fuel, how much is your time worth. Will you have to take time off work (vacation) to go and get the unit. Just a few thing to think about. You could try to get a deal from a local dealer. There are many in the Vancouver area and you might be able to use this to your advantage. If their sales are low they might talk. You might not get $$ off but you could negotiate a deal on options or accessories.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #10

We are also from the west coast of BC. We ordered a V-lite 26WRB through RV Direct. We checked with two Forest River dealers here, one on Vancouver Island and one in Chilliwack. The difference was more than $10,000.00. We were willing to pay a reasonable price but no go. We will be picking our trailer up at the dealer in Des Moines Iowa. As for the warrenty, the dealer on the island says we would get the least priority, something I can live with. Good luck on you quest.

Clark & Linda
Tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #11

We bought our trailer last year (Oct) at Jeff Couch's in Ohio. They prepare all the paperwork for crossing the border. Really there is only a couple pieces of paperwork, bill of sale, no recall's, legal title, maybe something else, can't remember! At the Canadian border you will pay the GST and the RIV fee of $125.00 ? We bought some transit insurance from MPIC for the trip home. Couch's provide a temp plate/insurance good only in the USA. All in all it was pretty easy, I would do it again.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
We bought our trailer last year (Oct) at Jeff Couch's in Ohio. They prepare all the paperwork for crossing the border. Really there is only a couple pieces of paperwork, bill of sale, no recall's, legal title, maybe something else, can't remember! At the Canadian border you will pay the GST and the RIV fee of $125.00 ? We bought some transit insurance from MPIC for the trip home. Couch's provide a temp plate/insurance good only in the USA. All in all it was pretty easy, I would do it again.
Hi neighbour. (We live close to Birds Hill Park). So don't keep us in suspense. What did you buy and what's your TV? And if you don't mind what do you think you saved vs buying locally? Any concerns with service/warranty work being done locally? What was your buying experience like at Couch's? Would you use them again? After looking at you profile is your TV a 2500 or 3500 and how does it tow. I've got a 2500 and am a bit paranoid about the payload capacity.
We are a year or so away from upgrading (Waiting for DW to retire) so I'm busy gathering info.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
Hi neighbour. (We live close to Birds Hill Park). So don't keep us in suspense. What did you buy and what's your TV? And if you don't mind what do you think you saved vs buying locally? Any concerns with service/warranty work being done locally? What was your buying experience like at Couch's? Would you use them again? After looking at you profile is your TV a 2500 or 3500 and how does it tow. I've got a 2500 and am a bit paranoid about the payload capacity.
We are a year or so away from upgrading (Waiting for DW to retire) so I'm busy gathering info.
We bought a 2013 Silverback 29 RE, tow with a 2008 Ram Megacab 2500, 6.7 Cummins installed firestone ride rites. Couch's was a good experience, I would do it again. Just got back from the Branson rally and the towing experience was pretty good. Check your PM box.