Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #1

I do not know how to make a deal on an RV..@rap!

I know how to make a deal on a house. I know how to make a deal on a car. I do NOT know how to make a deal on my first Travel Trailer. I can tell already that they are very tricky.

Base price: $17,916.
Sugg. Retail $23,079.
Asking price sticker 14,995.

Any advice?
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #2

Rule I use is 25-30% off MSRP on MH.
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #3

Those figures are 35% off retail, but whose figures are they??
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #4

Go online and compare prices on similar units, then negotiate the same way you would on a car. It's done basically the same on real estate except you have an agent helping in the process. Travel trailers are sold just like cars you just have to find what they are willing to come down to. Do your homework, be prepared.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #5

The numbers of competing dealers are higher, so I have no baseline to work from.
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Always Learning

It sounds like you may be getting a decent deal now. But, I had no idea where to start when I bought mine, so I checked a couple of online high-volume dealers to get a feel for where pricing could be and then negotiated from there.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #7

If you are only finding higher prices on similar units then this TT is your price starting baseline. If you can measure the sales manager's position or get the sales person to give you a hint of the sales managers past practice it still won't hurt to offer lower, if he won't budge anymore and this is the lowest price you've seen and most importantly you like the unit well enough buy it. A big part of it all is coming away knowing you got the best deal you were able to get. Being able to say you researched and came away able to say 'I love the choice we made and we got a good price' is a good position to be in from the research even if they didn't lower the price anymore.

On some situations I have walked out (sometimes they will stop you and give a lower price, sometimes they don't). I have also gone in looked at the unit, looked at the price, said to myself this is good and simply said 'I'll take it'.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #8

I used search engines and ebay to find similar new trailers at dealers around the US. When I found the lowest price for what I wanted, I would tack on what it would cost me to go get it from AZ. If I could buy it in AZ for what my total costs would be traveling and returning and taxes, I would see what I should pay.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:55 AM   #9

What they said I also like to use Kelly Blue Book's RV info. They usually give you the wholesale, retail, etc. and, if I remember correctly, it's usually specific to your area.

Last one we bought, we located two units at competing dealerships and let them pound away at each other. In the end, we got a really good deal with lots of extras.