Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #41

Getting rid of Good Sam- National General Insurance. 2 yrs with them on motorhome, Ford Focus, 2007 Tundra. First year 10% increase and better than 40% increase second year. Nothing in our profile changed Nothing! Similar issue in 2010 travel trailer. Low initial quote then increase significantly next 2 years again no claims no issues no violations. Do you homework

360 Georgetown XL 2015
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:31 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Interesting question. I just sold my TT in advance of ordering my 5'er and thus I cancelled my State Farm policy. I have every discount State Farm offers on home and cars, as a 43 year policy holder..........but the TT was fairly high premium. I got to checking, and they don't cover contents. I asked about that and was told "Well, that's covered as a 10% limit against your homeowners".

Huh? Don't get that. What does my home have to do with my travel trailer? So I checked around. Progressive is the only company I can find that covers contents separately, and on top of that, let's me choose how much coverage........$2,000, $30,000, whatever..........my choice.

They do two other things that I can't find elsewhere. They are only ones to have a $2,500 deductible, which lowers premium considerably. But........they reduce the deductible by like 25% (or so, not sure how much) each year that you don't have a claim. So, I can get the high deductible/low premium and in a couple of claim free years, the deductible is down to where the others would have been anyway.

I also checked with Good Sam's insurance.........and they were 3X higher premiums than Progressive for same trailer.

State Farm's premium was cheapest of the three, but I don't care for the actual coverage. (I had a similar situation when I got a new Side by Side ATV last year. State Farm treats it as a motorcycle, offers NO discounts, and wanted a fortune. Progressive treats it as an ATV. Motorcycles have booku claims. ATV's have almost none. Premium dropped way down.)

I have not checked anyone else. But clearly, the various companies are quite different.
We also went with Progressive for the reasons you mentioned. They also have a roadside assistance program that at the time my wife was repeating it over the telephone sounded better than Good Sam or Coach Net. Just got our policy in the mail today, so I will be checking it very carefully. Total was just over $400.00 a year, which I though was high, but after checking around, seems pretty reasonable.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #43

I have progressive on the TT and boat and they have provided a good rate. Its important to shop around, the old thinking about the good rate for being loyal to the company in my experience is not true.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #44

We use Geico for our rolling stock and AAA RV PLUS for roadside.

Marty
Old 09-02-2016, 01:47 AM   #45

Inexpensive Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgillrocks View Post
I'm looking for the best deal on insurance for my new travel trailer. I will not be putting it on my current vehicle or my home owner's plans. Any tips? thanks
If you are associated with the military (past, current, etc.) USAA is the best I have found. I pay $41 every six months for a 28' TT.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #46
Insert witty title here

I have Liberty Mutual. I insure everything through them. My premiums increased by $60 per month after adding my TT.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #47

We have Safeco. Progressive was outrageous, and we have pur vehicles with them. We havd replacement insurance and all the other bells & whistles.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #48

Reading the threads regarding RV insurance...I am having a hard time finding a company that will give me coverage for a brand new 5TH wheel, the problem is I live in Massachusetts No one will offer both collision / comprehensive insurance. Any Massachusettts owners out there that are covered. I have tried all of the major insurance companies even Good Sam doesn't offer in Mass. One co. told me I live to close to the ocean & they wouldn't insure it. I need a lot of help on this my 5th wheel will be in next week.
BlueStarMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #49
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarMom View Post
Reading the threads regarding RV insurance...I am having a hard time finding a company that will give me coverage for a brand new 5TH wheel, the problem is I live in Massachusetts No one will offer both collision / comprehensive insurance. Any Massachusettts owners out there that are covered. I have tried all of the major insurance companies even Good Sam doesn't offer in Mass. One co. told me I live to close to the ocean & they wouldn't insure it. I need a lot of help on this my 5th wheel will be in next week.
Have you tried asking your dealer whom they would recommend? Units on which they help to arrange financing have to be insured, so they might have a lead on companies or agents that you can contact.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:05 PM   #50

The company you insure your motor vehicles through won't cover the trailer? Are you living in it or is strictly for recreational travel? If you are living in it you would need a different type of policy that covers the trailer as a residence.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #51

Try Gilbert RV Insurance down in Orlando. They have helped people all over the country including me, when I lived in Indiana and needed liability insurance on my golf cart. If anyone can help you they can.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:35 AM   #52
Coachman 312BHDS

Safeco is reasonable. We have a universal policy. House and cars besodes rv.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:49 AM   #53

Vacation Liability Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
I just finished reading all the posts to this thread and did not see a mention of LIABILITY

What if you have someone over for dinner and they trip and break their neck on your RV stairs...... or a million other things that could happen?

My insurance guy did not have an answer when I asked him straight out except that our TT insurance did not cover liability issues. If there's a traffic accident, the tow vehicle will cover liability but not while parked in a campground.

He said my home owners "might" cover liability issues on the camper.

What about full timers that don't have a home owners policy?

Just thought I'd stir the pot a bit.

My home owners and vehicles have high liability limits and a $2 million umbrella. So I think I am all set but still wondering.
Good Sam and Nationwide have available Vacation Liability Insurance at a very low cost. As you wrote, liability is very important in today's society ... if someone is injured at your campsite involving your RV or camping gear - you are financially responsible. If you don't have this separate policy/coverage it will go against your home owners policy and raise your home owners policy rate. I too have an umbrella policy to cover everything, but I want this additional low cost separate vacation liability coverage to protect me financially, to keep things separate yet all combined.
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #54

Goodsams with tire coverage for my 2014 Sunseeker. Used tire coverage this year, good experience. They have replacement value for first 5 years in the event of total out, and covers the awning repair/replacement for storm damage.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #55

I have used Progressive for our motorhome and love them. I had 2 over $5000 damages only one year apart and thought sure they would raise my rates to get me out. They did not and gave me no hassle. What I like most is that I have a storage policy and a one the road policy. When I'm not using it I just call in and they reduce my coverages, when I want to use it I do the same and they increase my coverage. So you only pay for what you use. Saves alot.
gammellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #56
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
I've got Erie (live in Maryland) and couldn't be happier with it. I've had to replace the awning twice (once my fault) and my agent has been great both times. Now, it looks like we're stepping up to a Class C and I've already talked to my agent about coverage. I couldn't be happier.
....Until now.
I did a complete inventory turnover of everything in my driveway. Didn't need the Armada anymore, since I got the Sunseeker, DW wanted a Jeep Renegade, so the HHR was the first to go. Needed a toad for the Sunseeker, so got a Liberty. From previous vehicles/trailer to current vehicles/motor home, our insurance premium increased from around $1350 to over $2100! Yeah, you guessed it, the Sunseeker was the major culprit. Didn't really notice the nickel and diming as we got rid of one vehicle and obtained another.
So, like many others, I'm looking for different insurance. So far, Good Sam is about $500 less than what my current insurance wants me to pay for all the vehicles. My agent has been great, but, money is money.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #57
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Goodsams with tire coverage for my 2014 Sunseeker. Used tire coverage this year, good experience. They have replacement value for first 5 years in the event of total out, and covers the awning repair/replacement for storm damage.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Good to know. Thanks.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #58

I had great service and reasonable rates for my two SUV's and the sticks and bricks with Erie Insurance for 12-15 years. Agent and staff were great too. Finally decided to check other rates and switched to Liberty Mutual through USAA after finding out I would save close to $600! Didn't think there could be that much of a difference. Did everthing online. When DW got a new car in August '16 the LM rep called my cell phone in conference with the car dealer to make sure everything was kosher. Who needs an insurance agent now a days. Oh, yeah, a week later I got a large manila envelope in the mail with a "New" price quote from my former agent announcing this new low price program Erie just came out with! You know what they say, the prudent and watchful of ones finances will shop their insurance every two years. I will now. By the way, I to have Progressive and the five years of so I've been with them their rates have increased about 38%. I was going to cut them too back in August when the renewal came up but decided to keep them for another year to give me more time to shop around. RV insurance doesn't seem to be as cut and dried as car and home. A lot of unrecognized names out there.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #59

Insurance

Thanks everyone for the info.... I found a insurance co. That will insurance us . Borden RV insurance co. Down in N.Carolina
BlueStarMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance