Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #1

insurance?

I'm looking for the best deal on insurance for my new travel trailer. I will not be putting it on my current vehicle or my home owner's plans. Any tips? thanks
bjgillrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

geez, I guess if I scroll down a bit I will find an answer 😜 sorry, just a newbie with many questions
Old 04-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #3

Insurance

I have had Nationwide for the past 5 yearsand they have been great, I have insurance for the value of the fiver when I bought it new ( stated value ). I pay a little more not allowing for depreciation but I know how much it will cost to replace my 4 year old rig with one of equal value.
Pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #4

Progressive

Humteddy2

2014 Silverado Z71 LTZ 1500
2017 Surveyor 285IKDS
Humteddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #5

State Farm. I've used it twice for blowout damage and was settled within 3 days both times.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #6

I have mine on my auto policy with NC Farm Bureau. The liability is covered by the tow vehicle and I pay separately for collision and comprehensive on the TT. I haven't had to use it for the trailer but we had good service when a deer decided to hit my wife's car early one morning last summer.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #7

Interesting question. I just sold my TT in advance of ordering my 5'er and thus I cancelled my State Farm policy. I have every discount State Farm offers on home and cars, as a 43 year policy holder..........but the TT was fairly high premium. I got to checking, and they don't cover contents. I asked about that and was told "Well, that's covered as a 10% limit against your homeowners".

Huh? Don't get that. What does my home have to do with my travel trailer? So I checked around. Progressive is the only company I can find that covers contents separately, and on top of that, let's me choose how much coverage........$2,000, $30,000, whatever..........my choice.

They do two other things that I can't find elsewhere. They are only ones to have a $2,500 deductible, which lowers premium considerably. But........they reduce the deductible by like 25% (or so, not sure how much) each year that you don't have a claim. So, I can get the high deductible/low premium and in a couple of claim free years, the deductible is down to where the others would have been anyway.

I also checked with Good Sam's insurance.........and they were 3X higher premiums than Progressive for same trailer.

State Farm's premium was cheapest of the three, but I don't care for the actual coverage. (I had a similar situation when I got a new Side by Side ATV last year. State Farm treats it as a motorcycle, offers NO discounts, and wanted a fortune. Progressive treats it as an ATV. Motorcycles have booku claims. ATV's have almost none. Premium dropped way down.)

I have not checked anyone else. But clearly, the various companies are quite different.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
Always Learning

There are very few companies that specifically cover trailers properly. Progressive, National Interstate, and Geico all do.

For fulltiming, I used an insurance broker - Miller Insurance Agency and also talked with RV Insurance | Insurance Quotes | RV Insurance Professionals.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
DW's 401(k) Plan

I've got Erie (live in Maryland) and couldn't be happier with it. I've had to replace the awning twice (once my fault) and my agent has been great both times. Now, it looks like we're stepping up to a Class C and I've already talked to my agent about coverage. I couldn't be happier.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgillrocks View Post
I'm looking for the best deal on insurance for my new travel trailer. I will not be putting it on my current vehicle or my home owner's plans. Any tips? thanks
Yes, a couple things. Some insurance companies will "punish" you for not having all your stuff under one roof. By that I mean they will increase your premium on your existing insured stuff by taking away your multi-vehicle discount away for not keeping all under their roof. So, you are NOT required to inform them that you have your TT insured by somebody else. If they do find out, they may raise your rates as I said. Dirty pool, sure, but it's an insurance company, so it should be no surprise. Shop for the best premium, the service angle they push is overrated.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:10 PM   #11

Companies that concentrate on RVs like Good Sam may be the way to go. I would only
go with replacement cost and Good Sam will offer that for the first five years. They were the lowest cost that I could find. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Companies that concentrate on RVs like Good Sam may be the way to go. I would only
go with replacement cost and Good Sam will offer that for the first five years. They were the lowest cost that I could find. Good Luck
Agree with the first clause........but in my case Good Sam was 3X the cost of Progressive. Odd how this stuff varies. Progressive also offered the full replacement at MSRP values, for first 5 years. That is pretty amazing.

And Soros does not now or has ever owned Progressive. Peter Lewis did, but he died in 2013. I am no liberal, but I buy Heinz catsup cause it's the best, and I watch Johnny Depp movies. If my boycotting such things would have an effect, fine.......but it doesn't.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #13

I have Foremost. So far I am pleased with the rate. Hope I never need it.
gconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:54 AM   #14

Interesting convo - we live in MA and was told the trailer had to be added to the TV policy- couldn't be a free standing policy....

2016 Roo 21DK

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SEHilton79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:56 AM   #15

I have been using a broker for the past 5 years for my homeowners and auto insurance, even though I've been with the same insurance company, Pemco, for over 30 years.

Surprising, going through the broker instead of directly through the company was cheaper and every year, I compare Geico, State Farm, Progressive and others, they still have not been able to beat the price of my present insurance provider. Pemco started out in Washington state, then a few years ago, they have gotten into selling insurance in Oregon and California.

They are a tough company to get if one has had numerous claims and traffic tickets, but their service is awesome.

I also use the broker/Pemco for my classic car insurance, which is with Haggerty. Haggerty is also a broker, again great service and prices.

I would check with a broker, then go online and search for the reviews from customers on the various insrance companies the broker selects. Others in this thread have also provided some very good information on insurance.

JR
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:45 PM   #16

thanks y'all.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #17

Progressive is what we use. They have a lot of coverage options.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #18

I use progressive and love it. So many options.....

We insure for original purchase price plus contents of camper.

There is a storage option for the winter that saves some on our premium.

Love it!

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #19

We use USAA, not the cheapest and not the most expensive but I have had outstanding service from them for 20yrs on all our vehicles and homes. They only cover TT and 5ers, they partner with Progressive for motorhomes.

2016 Ram 3500 Diesel DRW Limited
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 273QBXL
Jasdow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #20

I have State Farm. W had a hail storm a couple of years ago. No problem they covered the damage to the fiberglass body and vent/ac covers. At one time I had Progressive for everything. Low rate at the beginning. After 3 years they doubled my rate (no claims) so I dropped them and got State Farm for about half of what Progressive was charging. I have had State Farm on my auto, truck, rv, and boat for about 10 years. Only claim has been the hail storm and normal rate increases like they all do except what Progressive did.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance