Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #1

Insurance and anti-theft system discount

Hey All;

We're first time owners (just took delivery on our SS 3050S last weekend!).

I found an insurance company through my agent that was acceptable (I started to type "reasonable" but I just couldn't use that word regarding insurance companys) and we instructed our agent to go ahead and bind the policy.

I have the temporary slip from them that they give out until the final paperwork and all is settled and our Coach is safely in it's winter storage spot. Well, yesterday I get an e-mail from my agent telling me that the insurance company is looking for a copy of the anti-theft certificate from my Owner's information package. I already sent them pictures of the key-fob remote with the car alarm.

Now they're demanding (a week AFTER they agreed to bind the policy!!) that if we want the anti-theft discount (~$200), we need to provide a copy of this "certificate"!

Is this anti-theft system they're talking about something different than the key-fob alarm/coded-key system that is part of the truck chassis portion of our rig?
jimdaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #2

Does the fob set an alarm on the walk thru door or lock it?
Old 10-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #3

Nope. All the fob does is lock/unlock the cockpit doors. There's also a panic button on the fob that will cause the horn to sound like a standard car alarm does.

I know the truck portion of the Coach has a car alarm system.

Is there another type of anti-theft system for motor-homes?

Old 10-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdaway View Post
Nope. All the fob does is lock/unlock the cockpit doors. There's also a panic button on the fob that will cause the horn to sound like a standard car alarm does.

I know the truck portion of the Coach has a car alarm system.

Is there another type of anti-theft system for motor-homes?

Yes there are.
I guess the best way to think of it is the front part is your car and the back part is your house you have different policy on each and each must meet a criteria for coverage.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #5

Yeah. I must be missing something. I'm not trying to sneak something past the insurance company, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

When my agent asked if the coach has an anti-theft device I told her it does believing that the coded-key/fob-alarm was/is the anti-theft device. Now, I'm not sure. Maybe they're looking for something like a lo-jak system??

I guess I'll find out just what they're looking for on Monday when we pick up the email exchange?!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post

Yes there are.
I guess the best way to think of it is the front part is your car and the back part is your house you have different policy on each and each must meet a criteria for coverage.
Please check with the vehicle manufacturer. Ex. Most ford products have passlock, which is a chip in the key. GM has passkey 3, etc. They are designed to prevent someone from popping ign lock with screwdriver and driving away. The downside is as the vehicles get larger, not all have it..ex, f150 has had it standard for yrs.e450 may not..

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #7

I've flipped an email to my dealer to confirm whether or not our unit has the passlock system. The manual for the chassis (E450 as you said, Rrickim63) indicates "if so equipped" so I guess I may be missing out on the $200 discount if it doesn't have it.

I just want to make sure we're doing thing right, legal and above board but I sure don't want to miss out on a couple hundred bucks in discounts!!!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdaway View Post
I've flipped an email to my dealer to confirm whether or not our unit has the passlock system. The manual for the chassis (E450 as you said, Rrickim63) indicates "if so equipped" so I guess I may be missing out on the $200 discount if it doesn't have it.

I just want to make sure we're doing thing right, legal and above board but I sure don't want to miss out on a couple hundred bucks in discounts!!!
You could check your dashboard for a blinking theft light that lights up for a second while turning key to start. You could visit any ford dealer or car stereo shop to verify. If the black end of key is fat..you have it. If it is thin..you dont...many people have a keyfob which is just keyless entry with horn honk . Hope it helps..(i used to install car alarms)

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote