Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2022, 07:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Insurance companies are a scam.
Not quite but it's a form of gambling.

This is true for all insurance. This is the time of year most group medical insurance gets written. If you take the "low deductible" you're betting you're gonna need a lot of medical attention. Take the "high deductible" if you're young and healthy.

-- Chuck
Old 11-15-2022, 08:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
Hey everyone,

I just received my renewal and the price went up $51.09. I called and they told me due to all the claims from the hurricane it we t up. I live in Va so that’s pretty crazy to penalize people who didn’t have the loss. It shouldn’t e allowed. Has anyone else’s went up?

not to be picky but let's have the rest of the facts. what type of policy are you talking about? what was the rate for this policy last year? what percentage is the $51 increase? without knowing this information your comment about a $51 increase is not able to be taken seriously. i'm sure it went up. but inflation is running at close to a double digit percentage. is you increase more or less than the rate of inflation?
Old 11-16-2022, 06:52 AM   #23
ysidive

Only pay for what you need...

This is a JOKE....

I figure that I should have insurance coverage without paying for anything... Then when I have an accident I only pay for the insurance premium based on the amount of coverage needed to cover the claim....

If it is ONLY PAY FOR WHAT YOU NEED, I only NEED insurance when I have an claim....... NO Claim should equal no PREMIUM....

Wish it worked that way, but advertising is a big play on words....
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysidive View Post
This is a JOKE.... If it is ONLY PAY FOR WHAT YOU NEED, I only NEED insurance when I have an claim....... NO Claim should equal no PREMIUM....

Self-insurance is actually a good option for the non-necessities of life - RVs paid for in full are one of them. You bet on yourself instead of against yourself.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Hyundai Palisade
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:05 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysidive View Post
This is a JOKE....

I figure that I should have insurance coverage without paying for anything... Then when I have an accident I only pay for the insurance premium based on the amount of coverage needed to cover the claim....

If it is ONLY PAY FOR WHAT YOU NEED, I only NEED insurance when I have an claim....... NO Claim should equal no PREMIUM....

That's the thing about insurance. You never know when or how much you will need.

And more than a few times, I was glad to have a large company with a well-paid legal team on my side when the other person involved in the accident made up a completely different story than what actually happened because he didn't want to be found at fault.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Self-insurance is actually a good option for the non-necessities of life - RVs paid for in full are one of them. You bet on yourself instead of against yourself.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Hyundai Palisade

Self insurance is only for liability...
you have to check your states laws on whether you can self insure and what you have to do... and does it carry over to other states.

If your motorhome runs over someone
you have to make sure you have a reserve of lots of $$$$$$$ to pay for their hospital and the inevitable court action.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Forward Dash Cam is the BEST insurance you can buy
if you drive something that LOOKS real expensive!

Protects you against those fraudsters that will jump in front of you and slam on their brakes .

Motor homes , trailers and expensive toys are able to be sold if you loose a court case. (?? except if it is sole residence ??)
Old 11-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
Self insurance is only for liability...
you have to check your states laws on whether you can self insure and what you have to do... and does it carry over to other states.
The way I understand the term, self insurance may be state law terminology as it applies to liability insurance, but I may also self insure things. I could buy liability insurance, but self insure for loss to the vehicle itself. At least in my state, the law does not say I’m required to buy collision or comprehensive coverage. I can self insure for those losses.

When I read post #24, I assumed pgandw was referring to self insuring the property.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:22 AM   #28

If you don't buy certain insurance it is classed as NOT insured for that type of insurance.
Yes you can opt to NOT be insured... if there is no legal /finance requirement.

check your policy for how much you actually pay in your premium for collision, it can be fairly small.

If you have an accident and you have collision insurance
your stuff gets fixed,

the insurance company then has to try and get it's money back if you were not at fault. If it was your fault it still gets fixed.

Makes the accident process simple because you are putting the insurance company to work and you don't have to deal with the aftermath of accidents.

BTY did you know Florida is one of the worst states to drive in.
Minimum requirement for property and liability insurance is only $10,000.

You better have your own good insurance if you get hit in Florida...
Old 11-19-2022, 08:22 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
The way I understand the term, self insurance may be state law terminology as it applies to liability insurance, but I may also self insure things. I could buy liability insurance, but self insure for loss to the vehicle itself. At least in my state, the law does not say I’m required to buy collision or comprehensive coverage. I can self insure for those losses.

When I read post #24, I assumed pgandw was referring to self insuring the property.

That is correct. With a moving vehicle, I would always have liability insurance. Property insurance - depends on the property, insurance rates, and many other factors.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 11:50 PM   #30

We have a 2016 2618vs ultra V and we pay $52 a month with progressive with a stated value.
2015 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 L 4:10
2016 Rockwood 2616 VS
pd2436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 11:36 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
Hey everyone,

I just received my renewal and the price went up $51.09. I called and they told me due to all the claims from the hurricane it we t up. I live in Va so that’s pretty crazy to penalize people who didn’t have the loss. It shouldn’t e allowed. Has anyone else’s went up?
I just had to do our auto and rv insurance renewal at the beginning of December for another 6 months of coverage and we use Geico. It did went up from the last 6 months renewal and I called them on it. They said it as due to the fact of how many claims they are paying out on bc of storms, hurricanes, auto accidents, etc. For us personally we have done zero claims and our rates went up.

So I did call around and everyone else wants over $2k for 6 months of coverage. Geico with the price increase was just barely over $1,500. Both vehicles and the rv are fully paid off to, so that doesn't add to the pot to make our insurance higher and we have pretty good coverage still. But at the time of renewing, I spoke with an agent to see about any more discounts and there was one more; since my currently employer is a authorized dealer of Benjamin Moore paints, they took off like $120+ of the 6 months amount. Benjamin Moore is under an umbrella for a bigger company they mentioned they honored for additional discounts. So my new 6 months only went up $151 overall vs. over $271 that would've been.
2015 RAM 2500 HD 4x4 4DR 6.7L Diesel

jimspencer741 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance