Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #1

Insurance question

So our 5th wheel is made and we are awaiting delivery, I thought it would be a good time to investigate rv insurance.
First I called Nationwide, which covers our home and vehicles. They wanted too much and did not offer price protection and replacement insurance.
Next I called Good SAMs. They turn out to be a middle man for insurance companies just like Progressive and such. So I decided to call Blue Sky RV insurance, one of the Good Sam choices.
They seem to have good coverage at a reasonable price. They also have Roadside assistance which offers the same features as Good SAMs but is much cheaper.
The only difference I could see was Blue Sky offers $750 for hotels and such if your Rv can't be used after an accident. Good SAMs Roadside had $1200 for travel interruptions but that was only if you had an accident with another vehicle. It wouldn't pay if you blew a tire and crashed into a tree or something.

When I asked Good SAMs who do I call if I have a claim, they said the insurance provider. When I asked the insurance provider, they said, if you purchase through Good SAMs, you call them. Blue Sky said they run into this all the time. Good SAMs says one thing and the insurance company something else. So i figure Good Sams is like Expedia or Orbitz, you can buy your airline tickets through them. But you can also buy directly from the airlines. I traveled alot by air in my career and if you need assistance, middlemen are not helpful. Am i missing something? Confusing to say the least.
After two days of calling around for quotes, does anyone have any experience using Blue Sky RV insurance?
Are there any questions I should be asking?
Thanks for your comments!
Sewhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Blue Sky is not telling you the truth. It's true, Good Sam is not an insurance company and the insurance offered by them is handled through National General (used to be GMAC). Once you are insured, you are given a customer service number at National that represents Good Sam customers. I've used it once and there was no "Good Sam's says one thing and the insurance company something else". One call to National to open the claim and the rest was history. It sounds like Blue Sky will say anything to make the sale. IMHO

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #3

. National General is not available in North Carolina. Good Sams recommended Blue Sky and Allied a division of Nationwide for NC residents.
I have heard a lot of good things about National General but nothing about Blue Sky. Allied was more expensive.
I just want to make sure we are picking a company that has a good consumer history instead of finding out when I have a claim that they are not so hot.
Sewhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #4

I have Good Sam's price and coverage was good I have State Farm for vehicles.
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #5

Another vote for Good Sam, it was the cheapest and they have replacement cost. Good Luck! I find it interesting that National General is in NC but they don't do RV insurance there?
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #6

I insured mine through State Farm though I'm about to review it with my agent. The price was comparable with what the RV dealer recommended but I don't know about the ancillary items such as hotels while the camper is down, etc.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #7

I am using The Hartford since last year and their coverages and attention have been great. This was after 3 years with Progressive who started out cheaper then the others at the time, but on the 3rd year tried to raise my RV policy by 450, and my auto plicy by another 300. I moved to The Hartford at nearly half of progressive for all of my insurance and my renewal this year was lower, which is the first time I have seen a price decrease for the same coverage in many years (progressive always went up.)
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #8

We have Progressive. Unfortunately, we had a claim with them. The service was exactly what they promise - speedy, accurate and customer oriented.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:47 AM   #9
Site Team

Had progressive. Three blowouts and two claims later they just got two high. Had to shop around. But, their service was excellent.

Sent from David's RAZR M.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #10

We have The Hartford for our home, vehicles and the last three RV's. Never had a claim on the vehicles or RV's but did have some hail and storm damage to our home three years ago. The Hartford paid all claims totaling over 20K, rates never went up a nickel.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote