Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
kcs

Is This a Common Practice

I recently posted a thread regarding the purchase of a 2014 Forest River Sunseeker. I am very happy with this unit and was very pleased with the buying process. That is, until now. And that is why I am wanting to hear responses to what has happened.

Just so you know, I traded in a travel trailer on this unit. I still owed which they agreed to pay off as part of the deal. All the paperwork was completed on Jan. 24 at which time they obtained a 20 day payoff. I was also provided a 30 day tag which expired on Feb. 24. My next payment, if I still actually owned the TT, would have been due on Feb. 21.

Well here I was last Friday, the 21, wondering when my actual tag was going to arrive. So, I call the dealership and talk to the finance person. Of course the excuses start flying. Then I asked if they had actually payed off the loan. Yet again, more excuse, telling me not to worry about it. I had a grace period. WHAT! So, I hang up and call the finance company and of course the loan had not been paid off. Plus, they are telling me I need to go ahead and make the payment asap to avoid any late charges. I thought to myself, hect no. It would just lessen what they would end up paying since the original 20 day payoff had expired already. And, the fact we had already agreed to the amount of trade, I wasn't about to give them anymore money.

Well I give decide to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt and wait till Feb. 25. Still do not have my tag, the temp tag is expired and I am now questioning whether the trip I have planned for this weekend is going to actually happen. So, now I call the dealership back and this time I speak with my salesman, who I must say was pissed. Said he was going to management to figure out the problem. Well, heads must have turned. For I had my tag the next day and the loan was paid off.

I just find it sad that I had to take the initiative to get this matter straightened out. I will be 48 this year and have busted my butt to always maintain good credit. I wonder just how long this might have gone unattended if I had not spoke up. In a matter of days I would have gotten a late notice all because of someones laziness or should I just say sorriness

Ok, enough of my ranting. My question to those out there, is this common practice in the RV world? I have never experienced anything like this in all the cars or motorcycles I have bought. Maybe it was just my lucky day.

Word to the wise for those trading something in. Stay on top of your account to ensure they actually pay it off so you don't get hit with late notices and have bad marks on your credit rating.
kcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #2

the dealer I deal with, seems to be common practice there. Takes forever for payoff to actually happen, but luckily didn't get 30 days past due. That's when you get a bad mark on credit, not that it makes it any better. Like you said, we work for our credit and want to maintain it. I stayed on them till I had proof it was payed off. Had to ask to get copies of all the paperwork. Still waiting for my regular tag. I did paperwork and picked up new one on Jan 25th.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Never experienced a trade-in situation, but when we picked up our TT the tags were already done. Same way with cars. Dealers handle all the paperwork to have tags in place, or get yours switched to new vehicle before you pick it up.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
Site Team

I find it helps to get my own financing at my credit Union then that takes the screwy dealership finance guys out of the scenario. Plus I got 2.49%.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #5

next time, I will have financing lined up too. Takes control away from them so they have to move faster with other paperwork.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #6

It's also good to never finance for any more than 3 yrs. {If you go more than that, chances are good you're buying more trailer than you can really afford.) Then when it's time to move up (assuming you can go 3 yrs without moving up) it'll already be paid for.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
Camper Less Camping

First, I never trade in a camper...always sell privately before we purchase the next new rv.
Secondly, we always have financing completed and check in hand before we hit the Dealership to buy the new rv...buying process is WAY smoother.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
It's also good to never finance for any more than 3 yrs. {If you go more than that, chances are good you're buying more trailer than you can really afford.) Then when it's time to move up (assuming you can go 3 yrs without moving up) it'll already be paid for.
Wow. I'd be camping in a royal piece of crap if it was cheap enough for me to pay for in 3 years.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
First, I never trade in a camper...always sell privately before we purchase the next new rv.
Secondly, we always have financing completed and check in hand before we hit the Dealership to buy the new rv...buying process is WAY smoother.
+1. Gives them one less number to play around with also. Most dealers don't like guys like us- it's hard to pull a fast one on someone looking only at the bottom line.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #10

If I could pay off an RV that I wanted in three years, I would just pay cash and not finance at all. No such luck.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #11
Site Team

on topic...
I traded my 2013 in for a 2014 and my loan was paid off right away. My dealer beat my bank on the interest rate.

This thread has been split for going way off topic.
Here is a link to the new thread money- financing and credit hijacked thread
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ead-57944.html

happy campin

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote