Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 33
is this industry standard

I'm wanting to order a 2014 Rockwood 8280WS and trading my 2012 Salem TT on it. The dealer involved wants my trailer now so they can put it on their lot early to sell it. They said it would take 8 weeks to get my new trailer which would give a ETA of early June. That would not be a problem but if it takes 13 weeks or longer to get, then that could become a problem since we'd like to do some mid June and definitely July camping. Anybody else had to make this decision or did your dealer allow you to use your current trailer until the new one arrived? I had a bad experience ordering my F150 last year (ordered end of March and was finally received end of July) and really do not want a repeat of this with the fifth wheel. Just curious if this was standard practice or not?
__________________
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost, max tow/payload
2014 Rockwood 8280WS
2002 Harley Heritage Softail
2006 Club Car Precedent golf cart
dirtman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman7 View Post
I'm wanting to order a 2014 Rockwood 8280WS and trading my 2012 Salem TT on it. The dealer involved wants my trailer now so they can put it on their lot early to sell it. They said it would take 8 weeks to get my new trailer which would give a ETA of early June. That would not be a problem but if it takes 13 weeks or longer to get, then that could become a problem since we'd like to do some mid June and definitely July camping. Anybody else had to make this decision or did your dealer allow you to use your current trailer until the new one arrived? I had a bad experience ordering my F150 last year (ordered end of March and was finally received end of July) and really do not want a repeat of this with the fifth wheel. Just curious if this was standard practice or not?
I'd keep it till money exchange's hands and the papers are signed and the new ones on the lot.

My two cents.


Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 361
^^Ditto! They should make you happy as a buyer, not the other way around.
__________________
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW 6.7L Powerstroke
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
One Happy Camper!
 
SPPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 168
I was allowed to continue using my Jayco until my new unit not only arrived, but until the weather got nicer. I made the deal in mid February the trailer was on the lot March 2nd. The dealer has stored my new unit free ever since, and I am still using my trade in. They are gonna bring my new unit to me on Friday and will be taking the trade in at that time. So basically I have been in possession of my trade in and have been using it. I signed it over to the dealer in February and will be using it until April 12th. The dealer agreed to this without any resistance at all. I would insist and tell them no dsale if they don't want to do it on your terms.

SPPD
__________________
2013 Palomino SolAire 317 BHSK
Nights Camped YTD: 39

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 196
Sell your trade before you even take delivery and do your PDI? I wouldn't agree to that - ever.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I'd keep it till money exchange's hands and the papers are signed and the new ones on the lot.

My two cents.

Turbs
X3.
__________________
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 22FBS
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,814
I guess cancelling the order and getting an different dealer is out of the question, right?
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Graduate Member
 
RoadTrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 508
that "deal" just smells....
__________________
--2009 Sunseeker 2860DS (Class C)
- one Hotwife, and two boys under 2(with one on the way!)
2013 - 53 days
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
PapaSmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mount Juliet, TN
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
X3.
X4

Keep your trade until you have inspected and accepted the new unit. That is what I did. You have no leverage and no camper, if they sell your unit and you have troubles with the new one upon inspection. As long as you have yours in your possession you have the ability to reject theirs.
__________________
2011 Ram Truck 2500, Crew Cab, 6.7L CTD, 4X4, 3.73 Rear
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,905
X5. Ron's very wise.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
Steve & Phyllis
 
SteveBingham52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Simpsonville SC
Posts: 207
If they offered you a good price for your old one and you are 100% going to sell it and buy another I would agree to their terms but I want a check "now" for my trade in. That way you have their money rather than them having yours. If a better deal comes along or they don't get what you want in and you see one elsewhere you can just buy it. No way though would I leave my trailer without a check in my pocket.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I guess cancelling the order and getting an different dealer is out of the question, right?
thanks all, the answer to my question is coming back loud and clear. I was really uncomfortable in doing this but had never traded a trailer on another before so wasn't sure if this was a normal occurence in this business. I will hang on to my trailer untill my new one arrives and if they won't agree to it, I already have another dealer with a 2013 in stock. I would prefer the 2014 but as all of you have mentioned, they will need to wait until the new unit arrives before they get my trailer.

Herk, no papers signed yet, just been conversing on the phone so no problem in going elsewhere if need be.

thanks all for your valuable input............
__________________
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost, max tow/payload
2014 Rockwood 8280WS
2002 Harley Heritage Softail
2006 Club Car Precedent golf cart
dirtman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #13
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,905
I almost wonder if they're short on cash and are hoping to sell yours to float things for a bit. My dealer called me 2 or 3 times (once on a Sunday!) asking for a larger deposit than I had already put down. I politely declined.

Everything worked out in the end. But- was weird.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Peachtree City
Posts: 236
I kept mine for 2 months while my new one was being built. You might as well sell yours outright and renegotiate a better deal on the new rv. The point of trading is to not have down time or hadsle. Just my 2 cents
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Dave Lyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oshawa, ON
Posts: 932
I wouldn't do it. You will lose any leverage on your new trailer deal if there are issues. The dealer would have no incentive keep you happy.........they have what they want.
__________________
Dave, Southern,ON



2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
If the 2013 at the other dealer is a lot cheaper, which it should be, I would go with that. And both dealers should be offering you a higher trade in price if they get it early in the year.
But I would never give up my trade before the new one is in your hands.
What if the dealer goes belly up? You think you would be owed money, but just try to get it!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #17
Wanna Be Camper
 
SaskCampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,420
I guess it depends on your comfort level with your dealer. I took ours in to the dealer in April and we never got our new one tilll July. We had discussed this and if we would have needed a unit I have no doubt the dealer would have let us use one of their trade in's that had not been sold yet. Of course there is always the chance of a lemon new unit but there are far more happy buyers than ones who got bad units IMO and I had and still have no reason to believe our dealer would not have made it right one way or another.
__________________

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 33
update on is this industry standard

I ordered a 2014 rockwood 8280WS platinum package today from the dealer I've been negotiating with. I am also hanging on to my current trailer until my new one gets here. I'm hoping the 8-10 weeks go by really fast.
__________________
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost, max tow/payload
2014 Rockwood 8280WS
2002 Harley Heritage Softail
2006 Club Car Precedent golf cart
dirtman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.