Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
Cutty

Its time to renew our TT insurance

Its time to renew our TT insurance & now using Good Sam's (National General) and its gone up over $70 for the year to $390. Any suggestions on who to use for TT insurance for not only cost but also dependability. Not impressed with anything Good Sam's has sent my way..
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #2

I use Progressive through my broker. Better price than direct through any of them.

Old TV- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport (Hemi)- towing vehicle

DanoHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #3

We use Progressive on our camper also.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:21 AM   #4

TT Insurance

We also use Progressive which is the lowest priced.
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH
2016 Ford F-150 5.0 towing package
div2802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:03 AM   #5

Progressive also on the TT, and new found respect for them.

I also have all my insurance through Progressive. Some dummy drove my 2015 GMC into a concrete light pole base last May to the tune of about 9K in damage. Since it was the Dummies fault Progressive raised his rates after the claim. I thought I had accident forgiveness but lo and behold if you have so much as a moving violation that voids their "accident forgiveness". All it took was one speeding ticket 2 years prior for 62 in a 55 to nix that. I also lost the "safe driver discount" and the "accident free discount". Basically the rate for both our vehicles jumped from $900 and change per year to around $1400 and change per year.

I was furious at first but since then I have shopped for quotes at every online company I can find and at least a dozen agents and brokers. No one will get anywhere close to Progressive including USAA or Geico.

That being said I recommend Progressive.

The travel trailer policy runs $236 per year on our 2017 Roo 23WS for max coverage with an agreed upon replacement cost which I listed as the MSRP that is 10K more than we paid for the rig.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
CP3

I have geico to the tune of $170/year on my 2016 Cherokee 274DBH. $500 deductible with trip insurance, breakdown for my TV, and a few other add ons.
CP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:29 AM   #7

Had National General also......went up every year for 3 years with no claims at all. Talked to Progressive and my rates dropped over 50% from my original policy from NG. We have the car/truck and 5ver all covered with Progressive and we are full-timers.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #8

We use Allstate, cost is around 140.00
blujeanzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoHB View Post
I use Progressive through my broker. Better price than direct through any of them.
I switched from Allstate to Progressive and got better insurance at a lower premium. Then, I decided to move all my insurance (home, vehicle, etc) to USAA (available to anyone who is serving or has served in the military) and got a real pleasant surprise. When I inquired about the RV insurance they told me Progressive was their RV underwriter but the premium on my policy would be less because I was going through USAA. Sweet.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
I switched from Allstate to Progressive and got better insurance at a lower premium. Then, I decided to move all my insurance (home, vehicle, etc) to USAA (available to anyone who is serving or has served in the military) and got a real pleasant surprise. When I inquired about the RV insurance they told me Progressive was their RV underwriter but the premium on my policy would be less because I was going through USAA. Sweet.
It's impossible to discuss pricing because we are not comparing coverages and amounts, and even if we were it's all based on location.

USAA is not able to get within $200 of Progressives prices in our case, either after the at fault accident or prior. I sure wish they could. In fact I just had them re-quote the other day. YMMV.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to BGinVA
I have USAA, for 2015 23IKSS, at $232 a year. Includes $500 deductibles for Comp and Collision, Roadside Assistance, Towing (within 125 miles), Uninsured Motorist, etc. Have been with USAA for 45 yrs and have had zero issues and outstanding service.
BGinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #12
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
X2 on the USAA/Progressive deal. For some reason USAA does not underwrite policies for TT's, only MH's.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to BGinVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
X2 on the USAA/Progressive deal. For some reason USAA does not underwrite policies for TT's, only MH's.
Not true ... all I have owned for the last 30 years, and currently own, is a TT that USAA has happily insured. My TT's are rolled up under my auto policy. I have never tried to insure a TT under a stand alone policy. That may differ and it may differ by state as laws do vary.
BGinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #14
2003 Georgetown 325

I don't know how everyone is getting such good deal with Progressive. I use them for my car and motorcycle and I thought I would have my MH covered too. First year was $400 and change. the next year it went to over $800 without any accidents or traffic violations. I told them to pi$$ off and went with Allied. Better rate and full coverage. Good so far.
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:48 PM   #15

I have my rv, auto and two homes with Geico, receiving the multiple home and auto discount. I had a perfect driving record until I clipped my rv's rear corner bumper last summer and did $7,000. damage. My ins.renewal came up recently and Geico raised my 2 vehicles rate from $746. to $1,298. every six months. Ouch!!! I would like to see if another Ins.company can do better than that.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #16

AARP Hartford if you are old enough has outstanding deals.
paulmcalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:41 PM   #17

I just switched from Progressive to USAA for my fifth wheel. Now they have all vehicles. Saved $600+a year for same coverage.
ksignoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
I have my rv, auto and two homes with Geico, receiving the multiple home and auto discount. I had a perfect driving record until I clipped my rv's rear corner bumper last summer and did $7,000. damage. My ins.renewal came up recently and Geico raised my 2 vehicles rate from $746. to $1,298. every six months. Ouch!!! I would like to see if another Ins.company can do better than that.

Sounds like we're in the same boat. You are probably better off staying with Geico until the at fault accident is off the books, typically 3 years.

Since I had my SNAFU last May Progressive raised my rates also, and pulled safe driver and accident free discounts. I have obtained quotes from about every online source and from at least 10 agents and brokers, both at the last 6 month renewal and for the current one which renews March 3rd.

Its the same with every one. Every quote, apples to apples on coverages, is between $300 and $400 more than even the progressive increased rate yearly. Your current provider knows exactly how much to raise your rate to still keep you as a customer. I did call progressive when the renewal came up, and after going up the food chain through 3 different representatives, was able to get them to reduce the renewal about $75 for the 6 month term.

I think you're stuck with Geico unless you either hit the jackpot, were grossly over paying to begin with, or reduce your coverages etc. Everyone of these companies already know all your info and records, thanks to Lexus Nexus and such. Now days a lot of the online quotes are almost automatic. As soon as you put in your name and address they already have all your vehicle info including VIN and accident and violation history filled in on the subsequent pages.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Havercamp's right, every situation is different. We now have two pages of posts with at least five different companies giving the best prices.

I'll throw in another, Nationwide.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcalexander View Post
AARP Hartford if you are old enough has outstanding deals.
Yes,,, but do they insure RVs ???
Don't think so !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance