Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

July 2020 TSD Proof Diesel savings for RVers

Attached is a detailed spreadsheet showing 16 fillups, 400+ gallons, 3 week trip from Dallas to L.A. round trip with stops at TA, Petro, Flying J, Loves, Speedway and a few independents. My biggest savings were the 2 fillups at TA/Petro where I saved $51 (28%) off the pump price $186. In hindsight my total trip savings could have been more had I payed more attention since I can remember at least 3 stops where I could have filled up at a TA/Petro and didn't.

There has been a lot said about whether the TSD Fleet fuel card is worth the effort or not. I've had one since they first hit the forum discussions but until last month, I never really had a chance to document whether it was worth it or not.

The 2 biggest negatives against against the TSD ESF fuel card now are:

#1 Negative: Goodsam forced FlyingJ to not provide true fuel discounts to TSD ESF cards based upon existing contract terms between Goodsam and Flying J. The Flying J companies (Flying J, Pilot and Speedway) and Loves do accept the ESF card but only provide a minimal discount (I received a 6 cent discount at FlyJ and 16 cent discount at Loves last month). Prior to the dispute, Flying J was honoring the true fleet discounts that ranged from 60 cents to over a dollar per gallon.

#2 Negative: Getting a TSD ESF fuel card requires that you link a checking account to it. When you fill-up with the TSD ESF card, the purchase shows up immediate on their smart phone app for you and the net charge is debited usually within 24 hours. I use a dedicated checking account that I setup just for managing fuel on long travels.

CONCLUSION: I can't imagine even considering not having the TSD ESF Fleet card if I were a full-timer and were planning to say for instance visit all 49 reachable states (I finished my 49 last month). Not only are the savings significant, being able to fillup at the truck pumps without having to go in turns our to be really convenient and easy once you give it a try.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSD Savings Proof.pdf (577.5 KB, 90 views)
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #2
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I left something out of my writeup. When you put TSD's app on your smartphone, the app will use your location and show all the stations around you and on your route with their confirmed price shown on the map.

Also, each day TSD publishes a downloadable price guide that lists all the stations that they have contracts with and each of their individual prices.

In summary, the free smartphone app has several great features:
1) It keeps a real-time tracking of your uses and the prices paid each time.
2) It has 2 different methods to find the best price as you travel (Price finder, download list)
3) It allows you to manage your account with them (change passwords, request card, etc).

Did I mention that this is really a legitimate good thing.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, esf, fleet fuel card, huge diesel discounts, tsd