Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #1

LED Light Panel Question: Good or Bad?

Hi All,.

I'm looking to buy some of farmerseller's (Hong Kong) 24 LED ($6.99) and 36 LED ($8.99) panels that are mentioned on other threads. It looks like NWJeeper and some others are using these.

How well are these LED panels holding up? Are they flickering and burning out prematurely or do they last?

I am using some 1156 LED bulbs that didn't last long at all so now I'm wary about "cheap" LEDs. But I do need to replace the ones over my stove and kitchen table that are burning out and these LED panels look good. But what kind of life are they giving? Price isn't bad, esp with free shipping, and I do need the power savings that LEDs typically give.

Thanks!
Paul Stamser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #2

Out of the 10 or 12 panels I have bought I have one that has about 4 of the LED segments that will flicker a bit if left on too long. It is mounted in a light I don't use much so it hasn't been a big issue to me. Overall we are extremely happy with the LEDs and they sure are a lot easier on your batteries. I did find that the wiring will sometimes be reversed meaning that there is a pigtail on the light card that plugs into one of 3 adapters that come with the lights for use in different types of light fixtures. When the two are plugged in (it can only plug in one way) sometimes the black and red wires don't line up. Don't worry about it. When plugging into a wedge base socket it doesn't matter, they are reversible. If the light doesn't work one way, unplug the wedge from the socket, reverse it and plug back in.

We love ours.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #3

NWJeeper:

They sound like they are worth a try.

Do you use both 24 & 36 LED types or just one? I may get both to test them.

Do you know how much power (amps/watts) they use?

How many hours have you put on yours so far? With my cheap LED bulbs I used them for about a year or more before they began to burn out. The super-long life claim for LEDs isn't always true. I've had incandescent auto bulbs last for many years.

Right now I'm using 1156/bayonet type bases. But I'll probably just wire the LEDs directly into the circuit because I doubt they come with bayonet type adapters, or do they?

I'm excited about finding these (thanks to you). I also see that farmerseller also has some 1156 types but I'm guessing the panels might cast a better light pattern for over a stove or kitchen table. I will probably go with the panels.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #4

I have tried both the 24 and 36 LED versions from farmerseller. I have not had any problem with them I replaced both 921 wedge bulbs with each to see if I liked them. For over the sink the 36 LED version is great and in fact I think does a better job than the incandescents. In my hallway the 24 version was not enough and the 36 is barely enough light. You might want to look into a 48. I also tried warm whites from another Honk Kong vendor on ebay. They are too yellow. I will be trying a mix by putting on bright and one warm white into one fixture to see if things average out. I do like the LEDs for dry camping and will put up with a little less light to keep the battery gong longer. I need it for the furnace.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stamser View Post
NWJeeper:

They sound like they are worth a try.

Do you use both 24 & 36 LED types or just one? I may get both to test them.

Do you know how much power (amps/watts) they use?

How many hours have you put on yours so far? With my cheap LED bulbs I used them for about a year or more before they began to burn out. The super-long life claim for LEDs isn't always true. I've had incandescent auto bulbs last for many years.

Right now I'm using 1156/bayonet type bases. But I'll probably just wire the LEDs directly into the circuit because I doubt they come with bayonet type adapters, or do they?

I'm excited about finding these (thanks to you). I also see that farmerseller also has some 1156 types but I'm guessing the panels might cast a better light pattern for over a stove or kitchen table. I will probably go with the panels.

Thanks!
I believe they are the 48 light units. They come with a wedge, festoon and bayonett adapter. Although the LEDs will last for upwards of 50,000 hours, many times with the cheaper units the individual elements come unsoldered or loose and begin to flicker. As I said, I've only had the one board do that, most all of them including the ones we use most are doing great. I have only had them in the rig for a few months.

I did try some of the Thunder GP bulbs redily available on Ebay as well and found them to be very unreliable, loosing many of the LEDs very quickly. I have since thrown out the two I bought to test as almost all the individual LEDs hand failed. I would not recommend the Thunder GPs. I had used them in my porch lights. Although expensive I have had a very good experience with the bulbs from Starlights for my porch lights.

As for power usage I did do a test and posted the results here comparing the incandescent to the LEDs Of course there is a huge difference. I will try and find that thread.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
I will be trying a mix by putting on bright and one warm white into one fixture to see if things average out.
I would be very intrested to hear how this works out for you and how you like it. Let us know if you try it.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
I would be very intrested to hear how this works out for you and how you like it. Let us know if you try it.

Ditto,

I would like to put some LEDs in our TT but I have yet to find an LED that I can stand the quality of light from to read by or work in the kitchen. Our unit came with a flourescent unit over the sink, but I am not sure of the consumption. So let us all know how this works out.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #8

Good info!

Thanks for the heads up on the Thunder GP LEDs -- I was looking at those too.

You'd think with the farmerseller 48s the power consumption might be getting high -- but maybe not. Maybe I'll get a couple of each (24, 36, & 48) just to test them. Possibly two 24s over slightly different areas would work better than one 48. Right now I have one 9 LED over my counter, one over my stove and one over my sink -- sort of like spotlights. These are the ones burning out. But the counter, stove, and sink are all in a line next to each other.

My main concern is battery drain. I can live with somewhat dim lights and weird color. LEDs are great if we can find some "cheap" ones that are durable over the long term. I have an amp meter in my system, so I'll be able to report back exactly what the power consumption is if I get these jobs.

FYI, I'm doing this in a cabin back in the woods with a PV solar panel system, a battery bank, and the place wired like a 12 volt motorcycle. I do have a small gas backup generator but I hate running it. So I just added a 135 watt solar panel to the system. I'm fanatical about small loads and energy conservation.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #9

Trailer is at the dealer for some warranty work. When I get it back I will do the LED Bright and Warm mix and post my results. I have noticed there a lot of people don't like the LEDs due to the color of the light they put out. My wife hates them but.... I took them out after showing them to her. Then I started putting them in one light at a time over the summer. So far she has only said something about the fixture that has 2 x 36 Warm White LEDs installed. She just asked why that light was so yellow compared to the others. That is why I want to do the mix of the 2 types. She either doesn't see a real difference or is being nice and letting me have my way. Either way my power consumption is down for dry camping.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #10

Bought 4 of them...

Well, I ordered 4 LED from farmseller in Hong Kong: two 24 LEDs ($6.99 each) and two 36 LEDs ($8.99 each). If these work propertly I will probably order more. I'll see if these throw enough light before I order a 48 LED.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #11

Paul if I remember correctly from using the Trimetric monitor the light with 2 48 LED panels used around 1/10th the amount of amps as the same light with the incandescent bulbs. I just can't remember what the actual numbers were.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #12

How do you find this guy on ebay and also how do you locate the led light boards you are using. thanks
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #13

f150k

I'm new and don't know if we can post links to sellers, but if you google "ebay farmerseller led" it should come right up to the top. He has lots of other items and if you scroll down his list you'll see the 24, 36, & 48 LED panels and lots of other stuff.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #14

You can also go to the advanced search and enter the seller's name.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
Flagstaff 625D Popup

Design my own LED lights

I am an electrical engineer, so I'm going to design my own LED replacments with a couple extra features:

Constant brightness with voltage from 11 to 16 volts.

Fade on - LEDs come on slowly so you aren't blinded.

50% power mode - Turn light on, then quickly off and back on. LEDs use 1/2 the power for less battery drain (or softer light at night).

10% nightlight mode - When in 50% mode, another quick off and on. LEDs use 1/10 the power for a nightlight.

I'm just designing the circuit now, but I hope to build some within a month or two.

Of course they have a small microcontroller to control the functions.

What do you think ? Any other functions that would be cool ?

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #16

Sounds like you could make a lot of money with them if you open up a website online selling them. You could sell them on Ebay but then you have to give them your cut. The guy with his internal fridge fans is selling them faster than he can make them.

If you like you can send me a prototype and I would be glad to test it for you and report back my thoughts.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #17
Flagstaff 625D Popup

NWJeeper, thanks for the kind words. I doubt I will sell them, I'd be too worried that someone's RV would burn-up if something went wrong with them.

I know you were just kidding, but I may take you up on your offer when I get some built.

I'll create a post when I get the design further along.

Bean
Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
NWJeeper, thanks for the kind words. I doubt I will sell them, I'd be too worried that someone's RV would burn-up if something went wrong with them.

I know you were just kidding, but I may take you up on your offer when I get some built.

I'll create a post when I get the design further along.

Bean
I understand the liability thing. For quite some time I fabricated some really nice rear bumpers for Jeeps, made about a dozen of them for friends and many told me I should sell them. No way, I don't need the liablity if something goes wrong.

I was just kidding about testing but I do have a place where I could use another LED light in the living room of the motorhome where we have nothing but halogen lighting. When dry camping we don't use the halogens as they use way too much power so the living room is kinda dark. Been thinking of adding a fixture above our couch to read by or whatever. When you have one or two ready I would be intrested in one though, keep me in mind.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #19

Bean,

I hope you build those LEDs. I live in a 12 volt solar powered battery house in the Northwoods and LED lights are very promising but I have yet to find good ones.

One thing they should be is stone reliable and last a long time instead of flickering in a short while and then burning out prematurely like the ones I got. With all the hoopla about them lasting forever I was shocked at how bad they were. Now I'm wondering if the 24 & 36 panels from Hong Kong I just ordered will be any better.

I like your ideas about power saving features. With battery power any tiny bit of energy you don't use is a big gain. Esp in the short days and overcast late fall and early winter months when there isn't much sun.

I find the most critical areas to light are over the sink, the stove, food prep areas, and the kitchen table. That seems where I need the most light.

For me, lighting up an entire room is not the way to go, but only areas where light is actually needed.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #20
Flagstaff 625D Popup

Paul,
Yes most LED lights (and most products for that fact) are built as cheaply as possible. The reason most LED lights don't last long is because they are over-driving the LEDs to get the most light.

This causes them to overheat and use more power per lumen. The overheating causes the LED junction itself to fail, or the solder joint to fail.

My design uses more LEDs operating at about 1/2 max power (about 2/3 of typical power). This requires more LEDs to get the same amount of light, but will last thousands of hours.

My design is NOT meant to be the most effecient, but a very effecient design could be built.

Good designs are not cheap, with most products selling for 10x the parts costs, adding a $0.50 part will increase the selling price by $5.00!!!

Of course making stuff for yourself is much cheaper. Even with the expense of ordering small quantities of parts.

I might look into designing a very effecient LED light later. It would be an interesting project.

Bean