Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #101
WonderberryJAM
 
WonderberryJAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 7
We had a warranty claim in March that Forest River agreed to pay. The bill was around $300. We are still waiting for reimbursement. So while it's okay to have someone other than the dealer do the warranty work, be prepared to pay out of pocket and wait months for reimbursement.
__________________

WonderberryJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:49 PM   #102
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
East to West is a new division for FR. It's a crowded field of long established trailer brands so E to W has a lot of competition. Plus they only make a few different sizes and floorplans, compared to similar divisions like Salem, Wildwood, Cherokee or Evo.
The Della Terra stick and tin line has only been out for around a couple of years. Only 9 models.
Their new Alta aluminum/filon ultralight line just was introduced last year. Only 7 models.
So it's going to take some time for dealers to recognize East to West.

Thanks for that. I'm new to all this (currently researching our first RV) and Its the sort of information I was hoping EastToWest might provide me with...so far they haven't responded to either of the two emails Ive sent their sales dept, but these are strange times. Made a please to our reputable local dealer to see if I can factory order through them
__________________

dpearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:23 PM   #103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The RV Industry is NOT like the Auto Industry. They can't require a dealer to service units they didn't sell.
RV Dealers are independent contractors, not a franchise. They can pick and choose and drop any of the RV brands they carry.

True but they could put incentives into the contracts that gave dealers who do service any unit and get good reviews get better reimbursement for services and better prices for new units.
__________________
_______________
2020 Plat F350 diesel DRW

2021 Riverstone 37mre on order
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:34 PM   #104
Senior Member
 
Major Oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy-Beast View Post
True but they could put incentives into the contracts that gave dealers who do service any unit and get good reviews get better reimbursement for services and better prices for new units.
And, FR, for instance.........can tell Charlie's RV that they will no more be allowed to sell FR units unless they agree to service any FR unit on the planet.
__________________
2014 King Ranch Ecoboost Screw, 3.73.....2019 Palamino 27RLSS (customized)
Retired AF Mustang.....Picker always looking to jam.
Major Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:39 PM   #105
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 21,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Oz View Post
And, FR, for instance.........can tell Charlie's RV that they will no more be allowed to sell FR units unless they agree to service any FR unit on the planet.
RV dealers don't care. They can go to another RV manufacturer and replace the FR line with one from Thor or another company. RV manufacturers have very little leverage unless it's a really popular line for that dealer.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #106
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Oz View Post
And, FR, for instance.........can tell Charlie's RV that they will no more be allowed to sell FR units unless they agree to service any FR unit on the planet.
That will never happen until they convert every dealer to a franchise, and until every other RV manufacturer does the same or their dealers will just move to another brand. That actually would increase the sales and service footprint for other manufacturers.

With the absolutely wide A to Z product lines from each manufacturer, no dealer could afford to train their people on every model nor could they afford to stock parts. The manufacturers would have to subsidize them and that cost will get transferred to us, the buyers, on every unit sold even if they rarely need warranty service.

No manufacturer exists because of service. They exist because of sales and dealers are how sales happen. Dealers hold the upper hand because annual RV sales absolutely pale in comparison to cars and trucks.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FR.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	229657  
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:13 PM   #107
Senior Member
 
A2pfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The RV Industry is NOT like the Auto Industry. They can't require a dealer to service units they didn't sell.
RV Dealers are independent contractors, not a franchise. They can pick and choose and drop any of the RV brands they carry.
But... Isn't this a problem which could be remedied by FR *IF* they cared at all about customer service? They could choose to sell only to dealers who agreed to honor a manufacterer warranty.

Similarly, they could stop relying on the "well every single part is warrantied by the individual manufacturer" excuse. I get it. FR basically buys a chassis or axles from somebody else, builds a cheap frame of a camper/RV on top, and then fills it with parts and accessories manufactured by others. But if they really wanted to show commitment to customers or a commitment to selling a quality product, they would warranty ALL issues and then settle the claim with the individual part manufacturer on the back end. When a switch on my F150 broke and the window stopped working, I took it to Ford and they fixed it because the truck was under warranty. They didn't refer me to whatever tier 2 manufacturer produced that switch.
__________________
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273TBS pulled by a 2019 F150 Platinum.
A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:35 PM   #108
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 21,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
When a switch on my F150 broke and the window stopped working, I took it to Ford and they fixed it because the truck was under warranty. They didn't refer me to whatever tier 2 manufacturer produced that switch.
You can't compare or equate the Auto Industry with the RV Industry. It's a argument that will always fail.
The only thing that they have in common, is that they both sell things on wheels through dealerships. Other than that, they couldn't be more different.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #109
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 144
That is why they could give dealers who do honor all warranty and extra point or two lower cost on new units, money talks.
__________________
_______________
2020 Plat F350 diesel DRW

2021 Riverstone 37mre on order
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #110
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy-Beast View Post
That is why they could give dealers who do honor all warranty and extra point or two lower cost on new units, money talks.
You are assuming that Forest River cares (or tracks) which dealer sells and which dealer does the warranty work on a particular VIN. Why would Forest River care who does your warranty work? As far as Forest River is concerned, that's the dealer's problem.

Unlike many new cars and trucks, the dealers, because they are not franchises, own the RVs that have been delivered to them. One dealer doesn't know what units are on another dealer's lot, much less where a unit was purchased from if it wasn't from him.

OTOH, we are shopping for a new minivan right now. On Toyota's web site, even I can see from home which dealers have which models, colors, etc. The dealer has even better visibility of all Toyota dealer stock nation-wide and what is in the pipeline, down to the VIN.

Automobiles and trucks have made tremendous strides in improving quality and performance in the past 50 years. Prices have also doubled after inflation. 50 years ago a new Ford Maverick was being advertised with an MSRP of $1,999. Today, after inflation that would be $12K. Try buying any new car today for $12K. There aren't a lot of choices below $24K, although many of them would be a better car than that Maverick. Do you really want to double the price (or more) to get the improved quality and warranty service that today's cars offer? Double the price of your camper for an enforceable 3 year warranty, and better build quality? I wouldn't be owning a camper at double the price.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21BHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #111
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
You are assuming that Forest River cares (or tracks) which dealer sells and which dealer does the warranty work on a particular VIN. Why would Forest River care who does your warranty work? As far as Forest River is concerned, that's the dealer's problem.

Unlike many new cars and trucks, the dealers, because they are not franchises, own the RVs that have been delivered to them. One dealer doesn't know what units are on another dealer's lot, much less where a unit was purchased from if it wasn't from him.

OTOH, we are shopping for a new minivan right now. On Toyota's web site, even I can see from home which dealers have which models, colors, etc. The dealer has even better visibility of all Toyota dealer stock nation-wide and what is in the pipeline, down to the VIN.

Automobiles and trucks have made tremendous strides in improving quality and performance in the past 50 years. Prices have also doubled after inflation. 50 years ago a new Ford Maverick was being advertised with an MSRP of $1,999. Today, after inflation that would be $12K. Try buying any new car today for $12K. There aren't a lot of choices below $24K, although many of them would be a better car than that Maverick. Do you really want to double the price (or more) to get the improved quality and warranty service that today's cars offer? Double the price of your camper for an enforceable 3 year warranty, and better build quality? I wouldn't be owning a camper at double the price.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21BHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time

Of course they know who they sold what VIN to and who got paid to do work on that VIN. How else are they going to know if it is a valid warranty claim or not, or if a particular shop is scamming them with bogus repairs. They might not leverage the info but somebody is tracking warranty work and costs.
__________________
_______________
2020 Plat F350 diesel DRW

2021 Riverstone 37mre on order
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #112
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Deer Park Wa golf course
Posts: 15
We purchased a new 2019 39RKFB last October for $74,000.00 from a dealer in Utah. We are in NE Washington. I started out by checking the north Spokane Wa. dealer who carried the 39RKFB RV and they had a 2019 listed for $135,000.00 and they weren't willing to budge very much at all on the price and that is why I started looking on line for one. The Utah dealer sent me a purchase order and I took that paperwork to the N Spokane store. I told them if they got at least within $10,000.00 of the Utah price, I would buy in Spokane but they wouldn't go below $115,000.00 and they were surprised that I would drive 10 hrs. to save $41,000.00 and I told them in a heart beat. What is ironic is the one we purchased in Utah is a mirror image of the one in Spokane and the one in Spokane is still on their lot as of last week. Now that I have installed 6 solar panels, 10 lithium batteries, and replaced the converter-charger and the solar controller, I am sure I have no more warranty. We have owned several trailers, a camper, and a DRV Luxury Suite, and so far I feel the build of the 39RKFB is very good, especially after using it a few times and after crawling all through the basement wiring and etc.
Husky10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #113
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 1
I was going to buy my trailer outside my state due to a better deal. I called Forest River and asked them about how to go about getting a trailer serviced in my state that was purchased out of state. They stated that it could be done, but HIGHLY recommends that you buy from a local dealership. I spoke with the local dealership that supplied my trailer model and they said they were contracted with Forest River and would service it even though I wasn't purchasing it from them. BUT I would be last in line for any service requests; which could be months of waiting. In the end I went to the local dealership and showed what I would be paying if I bought out of state and they came came down in their price (very close to what I would have paid). Figured it was a small trade off for having that peace of mind.
MtnJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #114
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cahriad View Post
I purchased my TT from a dealer that was 800 miles away from my home because I was a snow bird at the time. I am a retired engineer that has no intention of having warranty service done by the space monkeys that call themselves technicians. Every time I have had an issue I worked with the factory and my local independent service or fixed it myself. Most of the complaints I see regarding service are from people that have no basic skills and are relying upon the dealer to save them. My advise to anyone buying a RV would be to assess your repair skill or suffer the consequences of having your TT in the dealer at his pleasure.
That is a pretty demeaning statement. So you are a retired engineer. In what field? No engineer knows all. I 'learnt' from reading books on mechanics, computers and electronics. Most people I know with degrees are not as competent as a person who can read a manual and do it.

Many items are now bought by people with the money to purchase them, not the ability repair or maintain them. And too many simply rely and trust their local dealer. In the RV industry, it seems that 75-80% satisfaction is acceptable.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #115
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You can't compare or equate the Auto Industry with the RV Industry. It's a argument that will always fail.
The only thing that they have in common, is that they both sell things on wheels through dealerships. Other than that, they couldn't be more different.
One big difference, parts for "automobiles" are required to be available for a specified amount of time. With recreational vehicles that time frame is much less. That is why Harley lobbied to have motorcycles declared "RV" instead of "automobile".
__________________

HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dealer, service, trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.


×