Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
USMCbh1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Michigan
Posts: 28
Angry Local Dealer Won't Service Out of State Trailer

I am looking to purchase a trailer. I got a quote from an out of state dealer that was very very competitive. I spoke to a local dealer who said that they will not service anything from that particular dealer and that I won't find anyone in the state that will. I was told I could verify that with other people. So I did.

I called around and spoke to the service departments at 4 other dealers. When I asked them, 3 said they would service it, 1 said they aren't servicing anything unless purchased from them because they are so busy, and nobody ever heard of the dealer that I mentioned.

What's interesting is that when I spoke to salesmen at 2 additional dealers, they both gave me a line that I won't be able to get my trailer serviced if I buy elsewhere and that 99.9% of the dealers only service those who buy from them. Even with that said, though, they still never heard of the out of state dealer.

My lengthy post leads to this: has anyone else run into this?
__________________

USMCbh1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 22,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbh1983 View Post
I am looking to purchase a trailer. I got a quote from an out of state dealer that was very very competitive. I spoke to a local dealer who said that they will not service anything from that particular dealer and that I won't find anyone in the state that will. I was told I could verify that with other people. So I did.

I called around and spoke to the service departments at 4 other dealers. When I asked them, 3 said they would service it, 1 said they aren't servicing anything unless purchased from them because they are so busy, and nobody ever heard of the dealer that I mentioned.

What's interesting is that when I spoke to salesmen at 2 additional dealers, they both gave me a line that I won't be able to get my trailer serviced if I buy elsewhere and that 99.9% of the dealers only service those who buy from them. Even with that said, though, they still never heard of the out of state dealer.

My lengthy post leads to this: has anyone else run into this?

Yes, this can be common in the RV industry. It's actually printed on the back of most FR sales brochures and is on their website about buying local.


I'll get you a link in a minute.


However, you can use independent RV techs, who can usually do the warranty work for you and skip any dealer after purchase. You just have to get pre-approval from FR, which is what many do.
__________________

__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS


I've reported my DNA missing just in case it's found somewhere bad.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:16 PM   #3
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 22,848
Here you go:


https://forestriverinc.com/buy-local.aspx
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS


I've reported my DNA missing just in case it's found somewhere bad.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
USMCbh1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Michigan
Posts: 28
thank you!!!! I appreciate that.
USMCbh1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Aurora
Posts: 136
See if you have a local mobile RV repair person or shop. They are probably faster and do better work than the dealer. The warranty should cover the costs, you just may have to pay and get reimbursed.
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 3,496
are you handy?

most all services and be handled by a competent handyman
__________________
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” – Mark Twain



2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 395
I've never had that problem. I never had to have warranty work done and any regular maintenance I don't do myself I have done at a private shop. From everything I've read here and everyone I've ever talked to personally, a dealership is the LAST place you want to work on your trailer. If you are worried about warranty work, find out if your trailer brand will authorize warranty work from a private shop (most do) and then go find a good one near you.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Aurora
Posts: 136
Btw, my dealer told me the same thing. I took it to them for warranty work, they did the work sort of, it just took 5 months.
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:25 PM   #9
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 22,848
What kind of trailer are you looking at, and is this your first RV?
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS


I've reported my DNA missing just in case it's found somewhere bad.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
USMCbh1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Michigan
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
What kind of trailer are you looking at, and is this your first RV?


Right now, I'm considering a 2020 Salem 32BHDS and this would be my first.
USMCbh1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 123
As stated above, this is a common problem that FR warns about. How important is it to you having warranty work done by local dealer? As Corocky said, contact a local independent repair service and see if you like them and ask about their experience. Are the savings purchasing non local worth it? Only you can decide.
__________________
2205S Rockwood
F 150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost Fx4 Max Tow
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:38 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
GoneSouth10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbh1983 View Post
My lengthy post leads to this: has anyone else run into this?
Maybe it's just me, but I just don't get this whole issue. I understand a dealer "telling" you they won't service an RV bought elsewhere in order to pressure you into buying from them (and I get FR encouraging people to buy local as a way to support their dealers - that's legit), but seriously, are these local butterheads really going to chop off their nose to spite their face and turn down warranty work because the RV was bought elsewhere?!?!!? They get paid for warranty work whether they sold the RV or not!!
Okay, they lost the sale because they weren't competitive in the eyes of a buyer who had the gumption to drive two states over to get a better deal (and probably get the exact unit they really wanted instead of settling for stock on the local dealer's lot), I get that that's a bummer for them, but are they really going to compound their loss by "refusing on principle" to do warranty work on that out-of-state unit? (Or any other customer-paid maintenance for that matter??)
That just seems so petty and short-sighted that I just can't wrap my head around it as a "business strategy/model" - somebody please educate me!
__________________
2015 Berkshire 34QS
GoneSouth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:45 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
USMCbh1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Michigan
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I just don't get this whole issue. I understand a dealer "telling" you they won't service an RV bought elsewhere in order to pressure you into buying from them (and I get FR encouraging people to buy local as a way to support their dealers - that's legit), but seriously, are these local butterheads really going to chop off their nose to spite their face and turn down warranty work because the RV was bought elsewhere?!?!!? They get paid for warranty work whether they sold the RV or not!!
Okay, they lost the sale because they weren't competitive in the eyes of a buyer who had the gumption to drive two states over to get a better deal (and probably get the exact unit they really wanted instead of settling for stock on the local dealer's lot), I get that that's a bummer for them, but are they really going to compound their loss by "refusing on principle" to do warranty work on that out-of-state unit? (Or any other customer-paid maintenance for that matter??)
That just seems so petty and short-sighted that I just can't wrap my head around it as a "business strategy/model" - somebody please educate me!

Well you are as confused as I am. The only thing I can think of is exactly what you said: trying to pressure people to buy from them instead of being competitive. If I told you the reason the dealer gave, you wouldn’t believe it. When I told the other sales departments at other dealers, they literally were dumbfounded.
USMCbh1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:59 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
A2pfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I just don't get this whole issue. I understand a dealer "telling" you they won't service an RV bought elsewhere in order to pressure you into buying from them (and I get FR encouraging people to buy local as a way to support their dealers - that's legit), but seriously, are these local butterheads really going to chop off their nose to spite their face and turn down warranty work because the RV was bought elsewhere?!?!!? They get paid for warranty work whether they sold the RV or not!!
Okay, they lost the sale because they weren't competitive in the eyes of a buyer who had the gumption to drive two states over to get a better deal (and probably get the exact unit they really wanted instead of settling for stock on the local dealer's lot), I get that that's a bummer for them, but are they really going to compound their loss by "refusing on principle" to do warranty work on that out-of-state unit? (Or any other customer-paid maintenance for that matter??)
That just seems so petty and short-sighted that I just can't wrap my head around it as a "business strategy/model" - somebody please educate me!
I'm guessing it is because warranty work pays a lot less than non-warranty. A dealer is OBLIGATED to do warranty work on a unit they sell. But I imagine FR sets pretty lowball prices on what they pay per repair. I am sure a delaer with a repair shop is incredibly busy (I haven't heard of one without a wait list weeks long) and would rather take jobs for which they can charge whatever they can get out of the customer than be limited by a manufacturer's listed book prices for each repair.
__________________
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273TBS pulled by a 2019 F150 Platinum.
A2pfunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:07 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
GoneSouth10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbh1983 View Post
If I told you the reason the dealer gave, you wouldn’t believe it.
Well . . . you could try me??
Like I said, I get them "saying" that to pressure you into a sale (it would probably not even make the top 10 list of high-pressure sales tactics commonly used ), I just don't get them actually refusing to do the work.

A2pfunk - I guess I was always under the impression that, from the dealer's perspective, warranty work was priced the same as regular work - just a different payment source. But as I said, always willing to be edjumucated . . .
(Anyone on the Forum with real, live, actual "inside-the-dealer" intel willing to spill the beans??)
__________________
2015 Berkshire 34QS
GoneSouth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:20 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
A2pfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post

A2pfunk - I guess I was always under the impression that, from the dealer's perspective, warranty work was priced the same as regular work - just a different payment source. But as I said, always willing to be edjumucated . . .
(Anyone on the Forum with real, live, actual "inside-the-dealer" intel willing to spill the beans??)
I'd be shocked. First off, a dealer is going to be able to make a ton more money off of somebody who knows nothing about trailer reparis and what it entails. Second, reading posts here and talking to people with real life experiences, FR never seems to be all that easy to deal with or willing to quickly fix issues. This may be anecdotal, but it would lead me to believe that they are trying to limit any financial liability. This would also lead me to believe that the "book rates" they are willing to pay are way lower than what a dealer would actually charge a paying customer. I am guessing this is why, when people bring units in for waranty repair, they are given extended wait times. They are going to get you in. But they are hoping you will give up and go somewhere else or just let it go until the warranty expires. I could be totally wrong. But my experience says otherwise.
__________________
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273TBS pulled by a 2019 F150 Platinum.
A2pfunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:57 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Alaska
Posts: 399
I had a salesman tell me the same thing. They wanted about $5k more for a Freedom Express 192RBS than the dealer 80 miles up the road and the salesman told me they wouldn't service it if I bought elsewhere. I went with the dealer 80 miles up the road and saved $5k. This was in Arizona and I was buying to bring up to Alaska, so it didn't matter at all.
__________________
2019 Silverado LTZ 1500 6.2L 3.42 Max Trailering Package
2018 Freedom Express 192RBS
2016 Silverado LTZ 1500 5.3L 3.42
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L 4.10
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:15 AM   #18
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 21,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbh1983 View Post
Well you are as confused as I am. The only thing I can think of is exactly what you said: trying to pressure people to buy from them instead of being competitive. If I told you the reason the dealer gave, you wouldn’t believe it. When I told the other sales departments at other dealers, they literally were dumbfounded.
Since you're new to the RV world, you aren't aware how the RV Industry works.
When certain RV dealers, like RV Wholesalers and RV Direct appeared on the Internet, many dealers lost business and started refusing to service units they didn't sell. This has been happening for around the past 20 years. Now there are other RV dealers that have copied the same business model as RVW and RV Direct, like Couchs RV and General RV.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:01 AM   #19
far north Alabama
 
formerFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: far north AL
Posts: 2,801
I don't get this whole 'conversation' in the first place. Why do folks feel like they have some type of inherent 'ownership' in their 'local' RV dealership, especially if they DIDN'T purchase the RV from them?
Why should someone 'demand' that the dealer provide warranty or 'service' for them if they didn't do business with them in the first place?

If you're going to 'save' money by buying an RV from somewhere 'else', then understand that your 'local' dealer is certainly under no obligation to 'service' you - wouldn't YOU feel the same?

On one hand we want the 'best' price. On the other hand we expect our 'local' dealer to 'help' us, regardless. It almost defies common sense.

Can dealers service who they wish? Of course.
Do you have to 'agree' with that business decision? Of course not.
Can you, though, understand 'why' they don't service just everyone who walks in the door? I hope so. I would think it's obvious that they want to put 'their' customers ahead of those who 'didn't' buy from them - it makes sense. Those customers actually DO have ownership in their 'local' dealer!
__________________

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... GA, NC, now N AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:07 AM   #20
far north Alabama
 
formerFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: far north AL
Posts: 2,801
the other part of the equation seems to be that some new to RVing feel as though only their 'local' dealer has the 'know how' to 'service' their RV... but that's bunk. Anyone who knows about RVs can service one, whether a 'dealer', or a 'shop', or a local mechanic, or a mobile RV service, etc.
The factories also cannot 'demand' that you use only 'their' dealers, you can use anyone you choose. The factory, if a warranty claim, will assess the information supplied by the shop and give them the hourly rate they will pay, along with parts that are needed to provide the repair. Just like taking your car to an independent shop for repair, there's no absolute requirement that it 'has' to be a 'Ford' dealer. Use who you choose.
__________________

formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dealer, service, trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.


×